Derbys Cr*p - OFFICAL

I use Derby's regularly and find them to be perfectly good and cheap.I reckon that the majority who label them crap tried them as a starter blade and dismissed it before they were really in a position to be able to tell if it was their technique or the blade that was causing the problem.I am getting bored hearing about how bad they are, if you don't like them or don't use them then fine, just don't keep bleating on about it.

Boab said:
I use Derby's regularly and find them to be perfectly good and cheap.I reckon that the majority who label them crap tried them as a starter blade and dismissed it before they were really in a position to be able to tell if it was their technique or the blade that was causing the problem.I am getting bored hearing about how bad they are, if you don't like them or don't use them then fine, just don't keep bleating on about it.

Yes, yes and yes!!!!!

Boab said:

This thread, until today, hadn't been active since 21st September. So, ironically, you have actually resurrected it and brought it to everybody's attention again by posting this.

Ian

Boab said:
I didn't realise there was a time limit on me replying to threads.

There isn't a time limit for anybody, I was just appreciating the irony of the fact that everybody had stopped bleating for 23 days, but a new post may start another wave!

Ian

well if it stops a new topic of said bleating I will be happy.I am sure it wont though.So until next time......

quattrojames said:
Derby's suit me very well FWIW ;)

I wrote this over a month ago, and since then my technique has improved a lot, as has my choice of tools :lol:

At one time Derby's were potentially my favourite blade, they don't hold that place any more - but if I need a quick functional no thrills day to day shave I'd do a lot worse than to use one of these. I got about ten packets of them, they'll last me a while but I will use them all up.

Horses for courses! I guess. I find it hard to believe that anyone can get a good shave from a Derby but there are a few of you who are obviously massive fans. I like to read opnions on blades but like to try them myself.

So I used a couple of blades from a horizontal pack (supposed to be the good ones?) I didn't find them particularly sharp or smooth much like a dull german wilkinson but OMG I wanted to scratch my face off afterwards. It felt like I had shaved with a dull cartridge. I shave daily and hadn't had any irritation from shaving in months and never had anything on that scale before. Anyway I thought it must be a duff blade so next time loaded a fresh blade into the slim dialled it to 3 and got the same results, gave the last 3 blades from the pack away to my brother. He tried one but wasn't impressed either.

For the money i would recommend the SuperMax SuperStainless or the Treet Durasharp (yellow pack/white horizontal stripes with carbon steel blades that are PTFE coated)

Magic Learner said:
Horses for courses! I guess. I find it hard to believe that anyone can get a good shave from a Derby but there are a few of you who are obviously massive fans. I like to read opnions on blades but like to try them myself.

So I used a couple of blades from a horizontal pack (supposed to be the good ones?) I didn't find them particularly sharp or smooth much like a dull german wilkinson but OMG I wanted to scratch my face off afterwards. It felt like I had shaved with a dull cartridge. I shave daily and hadn't had any irritation from shaving in months and never had anything on that scale before. Anyway I thought it must be a duff blade so next time loaded a fresh blade into the slim dialled it to 3 and got the same results, gave the last 3 blades from the pack away to my brother. He tried one but wasn't impressed either.

For the money i would recommend the SuperMax SuperStainless or the Treet Durasharp (yellow pack/white horizontal stripes with carbon steel blades that are PTFE coated)
Personally I find them to be very sharp and cheap enough, but my skin hates them. It goes very red and sore and I always end up with nicks from them. Have ended up giving all of mine away

Derbys used to be in favour.....but in the search for that 'ever elusive' blade....they seem to have been pushed aside by most folks....myself included. I wanted a quick shave this morning and loaded one into a simple Lord L5 razor. My shave was excellent. It may be time to revisit this blade and many of the others which I discarded years ago. They were more than sharp enough and very smooth. (YMMV)

I started off DE shaving with these 3 years ago in a Merkur HD and used them non-stop for about 5 months.

They took whiskers from my face and dropped them in the sink.

As good as any other blade I used - much like Red Personna blades.

Back
Top Bottom