December 2023 acquisition

A unknown open comb razor. No idea what it is, it has a slightly different comb design to the ubiquitous Old Type combs that can be found. It is a touch more efficient in the shave than my Old Type clones but very mild nonetheless.

View attachment 115103

View attachment 115104

Actually, it's more like a 'New' short comb to my eyes ... no, like an 'Old/New Hybrid' which I suppose the 'New Standard' was. Curious!

Actually, it's more like a 'New' short comb to my eyes ... no, like an 'Old/New Hybrid' which I suppose the 'New Standard' was. Curious!

Yes, I thought that too. It's quite a strange razor.

I'm sure it's really old too, but it's really beautifully made. Feels great in the hand too.

Contour II, Featherweight & Ever-Ready 1912 Peerless @donnie_arko

Really nice haul!

Thanks for the info Paul! I know absolutely nothing about these razors. I've only used my 1912 a few times and loved each shave.

IMG_4032.jpeg

A treat from the in-laws this Christmas! A delightful scent and soft soap.

I've only used my 1912 a few times and loved each shave.

Great! That 1912 is one of the last ones ... by the end of the run (some time into the mid-1950s) cheaper round aluminium handles became the thing. In fact, those handles for the Star Tech-clones suit them well. You'll need a grub screw. The Featherweight carries the story on (from 1953 to 1958 IIRC) and your GEM Contour (being a later model) is well into the 1970s (1973 on for the II).

Distinct similarity in the head from the Featherweight to the Contour and my preference is definitely for the flip-top head rather than the push-button of the first Contour. Practically the same head on the Heavy Flat Top/Natural Angle (which is kind of an all-metal Featherweight) as well as the Push-Button and the Flying Wing. I really like the weight and balance of the Flying Wing.

One of these ...

ABLVV872Tllun6GOhEc92MiiRbF-z_qR7OOBmswIavejtVuOia7z79KFL16e--bv5WaFTGZv6uItsTYIs05LzXsGe7JysF621wygd0rvM0lXD8hdInYx7DcExt9BUz181_LQIwW1ijLDNxo4RlyQCt1TpvauJg=w1200

Twist to open mechanism.

Whiile I'm finding pictures, there's the full run of Contours:

ABLVV86BQ7xs5y2jqVEJIttTLcYD4mAWAV5RfTzWLZxMpuzjwxvRk09ZNQjGgU1sVjzUB3DRm1z5egjHhHGQgQk-xf4PeDAMCJFIAScDtIV7qUApZgMO9OE2Hn9HNS_IMBXxDazOw1IP2RXOSic_wYBnZqntYw=w1200

Back
Top Bottom