Death Of Tallow Sticks

My pleasure .

I don't comment the price
at these prices you buy high-end soaps, although I think one stick lasts longer than many 100 g soft soaps

Btw during a sleepless night I found the only ones for sale here …

Wow, that's pretty expensive for a 50g soap stick, even if it is Valobra!
Fortunately I have a stash of Valobra shaving soap but it's in storage and I cannot get access to it at the moment!
I will have to make do with the half stick I do have access to! :)
Thanks for the link anyway.

Paul.

I used to have a Lea, Wilkinson Sword, Tabac, Erasmic, Palmolive & Speick tallow shaving soap sticks of which I have only a couple Palmolive and a lonely holdout, Arko. The others have all either been discod. or reformulated w/o tallow. I do have a Boots and a LaToja non-tallow sticks as well. I have never tried the Derby stick.

People, this is really sad. Since tallow is cheap I can only assume this is PC nonsense.
D.R. Harris still makes shaving soap sticks with tallow.

Reactions: PHR
I was under the impression that the newest Lea stick was garbage. Perhaps we have iteration confusion. :unsure:

It's been reformulated twice since the last tallow based version. The latest formulation has coconut oil as the second ingredient. I've been using it a little over the last few months, it's not equal to the best tallow based shaving sticks but it's still pretty good nonetheless.

I bought mine from Connaught Shaving a few months ago.

Here is a picture of the ingredients list.

IMG_20220924_121545.jpg

I was under the impression that the newest Lea stick was garbage. Perhaps we have iteration confusion. :unsure:

... au contraire!

Indeed, as @donnie_arko states, there are two reformulations.

So, grey base was the tallow formula:

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Lanolin, Parfum, Cocamide DEA, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide

The reformulation had a blue base:

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Cocamide DEA, Palm Kernel Acid, Lanolin, Parfum, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Potassium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Linalool & Limolene

... and the reformulation of that disappointing stick also had a blue base, but a red dot on the front:

Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Cocamide DEA, Coconut Acid, Partfum (Marine Scent), Titanium Dioxide, Palm Kernel Acid, Lanolin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Lanalool, Linonene

995932178_w640_h640_milo-dlya-golinnya.jpg

New perfume (that Marine scent), formula and creaminess < presumably from the coconut oil

Latest stick is a stunner! If Mitchell's went veg, it'd be the current LEA stick.

It's been reformulated twice since the last tallow based version. The latest formulation has coconut oil as the second ingredient. I've been using it a little over the last few months, it's not equal to the best tallow based shaving sticks but it's still pretty good nonetheless.

View attachment 96123
That’s the stick I have and I’d rate it higher than the recently departed Palmolive and current ARKO. The Wilkie stick with its holy trinity of tallow, glycerine and lanolin remains my favourite but the LEA is still bloody good. The Boot’s one is meh x meh.

... au contraire!

Indeed, as @donnie_arko states, there are two reformulations.

So, grey base was the tallow formula:

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Lanolin, Parfum, Cocamide DEA, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Geraniol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide

The reformulation had a blue base:

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Cocamide DEA, Palm Kernel Acid, Lanolin, Parfum, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Potassium Pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Linalool & Limolene

... and the reformulation of that disappointing stick also had a blue base, but a red dot on the front:

Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Cocamide DEA, Coconut Acid, Partfum (Marine Scent), Titanium Dioxide, Palm Kernel Acid, Lanolin, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Lanalool, Linonene

995932178_w640_h640_milo-dlya-golinnya.jpg

New perfume (that Marine scent), formula and creaminess < presumably from the coconut oil

Latest stick is a stunner! If Mitchell's went veg, it'd be the current LEA stick.
This ^^

So, just for bulletproof clarity THIS one that I am linking is the latest & greatest?

So, just for bulletproof clarity THIS one that I am linking is the latest & greatest?

That's where I bought my one from.

I had forgotten that I bought one or two of the latest from Connaught a few years back and despite liking the stick I sold/traded them to a buddy. It was good now that I recall. They had the red dot.

I have a few tallow sticks at the house.

Arko, Speick and Derby are currently in use.

A few sticks of Palmolive that I have yet to get around to using.

I plan on trying it out when I use up my Arko. Which isn’t that far away from happening or maybe I should just put the Speick away for a bit and replace it with the Palmolive. I like the Palmolive scent better than Speick.

I’m not thrilled to see that the tallow shave sticks are being reformulated. I’m kind of a if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it type of guy.

Last edited:

View attachment 96123
will have to double check whish one ive got either way i really like it

you know when you use arko it doesnt even put a dent in it but i noticed the lea stick did get a little used up up lol

People, this is really sad. Since tallow is cheap I can only assume this is PC nonsense.
Eh, kind of. So here's the deal with tallow, and why it suddenly disappeared.

Back in the day, there was a massive outbreak of mad cow disease, so any tallow used for cosmetic purposes (which includes shaving soap) now must be certified as being processed from material that contains no nerves or brain matter. That put a screeching halt on toddling down to local butcher for your tallow, and caused the price of pharmaceutical grade tallow to rise considerably.

This is why so many old soap manufacturers reformulated their soaps at about the same time.

That's the explanation I've heard. It's probably even true.

Eh, kind of. So here's the deal with tallow, and why it suddenly disappeared.

Back in the day, there was a massive outbreak of mad cow disease, so any tallow used for cosmetic purposes (which includes shaving soap) now must be certified as being processed from material that contains no nerves or brain matter. That put a screeching halt on toddling down to local butcher for your tallow, and caused the price of pharmaceutical grade tallow to rise considerably.

This is why so many old soap manufacturers reformulated their soaps at about the same time.

That's the explanation I've heard. It's probably even true.
This.

Also that we are moving slowly towards a world where raising animals for food and using their carcases for other products will most likely come to an end as plant-based or synthetic products take over, so i guess manufacturers will already be developing long-term production strategies for that.

Have any of you tried the new Soylent Green shaving stick ?

Back
Top Bottom