DE Razor for Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here so go easy on me :)

I need some recomendations on a beginners DE Razor, i know this may have been asked a million times before so maybe a point to other discussion had on the site ( i have tried looking)

I have sorted all my other kit (brush, soap, holer etc) so just the razor now

Many thanks in advance

Raz-jnr

Edwin Jagger DE87

Merkur HD

Gillette Superspeed

All good razors to start with.

Welcome, by the way.

raz-jnr said:
I have sorted all my other kit (brush, soap, holer etc) so just the razor now

Hi Raz-jnr! :D Er...so what's a holer?? :?

Joe's right about those razors, though I would add the Edwin Jagger DE89. It seems to me to be the 'Mr Reliable' of the DE world. I think it would be great for someone starting out. I went for the Futur which I feel wasn't a great idea looking back.

raz-jnr said:
Thanks guys,

Its meant to say holder or stand :)

Do you think its better buying from someone off here rather than fleabay

:lol: Thought so, just joshing with you! Personally I would go for a brand new razor to start with. The vintage razors can be great but there is a lot of variability in quality and you need to know the razor you buy is going to be good. If you've never used one before and get a dud then it could put you off for life. There are a few good online retailers that TSR members use regularly. Take a look at our vendors area in the shopping section. Once you have got used to DE shaving with your brand new razor you may wish to go down the vintage route. :D

Your first razor..

I know there might be howls of 'but but..' however id stay away from the Vintage Gillette's till you know what your getting isn't a duffer.

Stick with something solid and dependable you know is going to be spot on from the word go. Then when you have your technique sorted and your feeling adventurous you can start your inevitable collection of vintage razors :)

I plant my flag firmly with the Merkur HD (34C) - Honestly you cannot go wrong with this razor. Id wager its the most commonly used DE razor amongst newer guys.
Its solidly built, a decent middle of the road shave and a good price for what your getting.

PS Welcome on board.

Thanks guys,

I think im might go for the Merkur 34c, after looking at all the alternatives you posted,

Just need to find a good price for one. Would you say buy brand new from somewhere (tips on best website to buy from are welcome) or wait for one to come up on the forum for sale?

P.S i have tried to send a PM to a member and its being stored in my outbox and no sign of it in my sent messages, any ideas why?

Cheers

Lee

For your first razor, if you can afford it, I'd buy your HD brand new. There are a quite a few online retailers who sell it so you're quite spoilt for choice.

Your PM will sit in the outbox until the other member reads it.

ive got a nice k4 Gillette Flair tip for sale...with free blades and free shave cream for £12.50 posted

excellent shaver ...not aggressive ideal for a new face...it has no signs of brassing in excellent condition

raz-jnr said:
Are there any retailers that are recommended and trustworthy?

Cheers

Lee

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2544</a><!-- l -->

n1vlo said:
ive got a nice k4 Gillette Flair tip for sale...with free blades and free shave cream for £12.50 posted

excellent shaver ...not aggressive ideal for a new face...it has no signs of brassing in excellent condition

For £12.50 posted I'd get that. But the key thing is to start with one set up (razor, blade, brush, soap/cream) and work on your technique.

Then you can change the variables one at a time and see what works best for you.

Perhaps more important than the razor is the blade and soap/cream (in that order) as these are the components that actually go on to your face.

A Derby blade is a good place to start - more than enough but not unforgivingly ninja-sharp.

Soap/cream? Tabac stick imho.

Razor? The Merkur workhorse we all love or a vintage Gillette Superspeed (such as the one above).

Other than that lots of hot water. And prep prep prep: first have a good look at the directions (plural!) your beard grows in (this is called the grain). Shave after a shower or bath with a well-soaked and warm and wet beard, go with the grain ("WTG") and if you feel bold re-lather (might be enough left on the brush) and go across the grain (XTG). When you've mastered that you can go against the grain ATG).

After shaving some people use alum, moisturising balm, after-shave splash or all three in any order; again, you can work out what suits your chops best.

And good luck. A fine shave is a great feeling, and using kit that has been around for a about a hundred years is nice too. Many of the vintage Gillettes are date coded (as above: K4 = 1964, 4th quarter) and have a lovely twist-to-open action (TTO); needless to say they are my favourites.

Welcome and enjoy.

well rev....if no one has taken this off my hands in 30 days...u sir can hav it to do so what u wish....i will leave it up to you to contact me on the 31 day...then it is yours gratis...with or without blades

Back
Top Bottom