Cube - Phoenix Artisan Acoutrements

What is this thing which has today been brought to my attention? I see @LeeMaz uses it. What exactly does it do, and would anyone have a list of ingredients (although labelling requirements in the US are minimal). They've certainly got some cute soap moulds...I might at some stage consider a rectangle. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_2149.jpegToo be honest it’s probably just in my head, but it says it’s a prewash face soap/degreaser and I feel add speeds up stubble softening and aides the glide of some poorer quality soaps, (I wouldn’t include yours in that obviously!) I love it as a facewash in the shower before I shave but in reality I can do just fine without.
I found this on Agent Shave if it helps.

Hmmm. Interesting list of ingredients, which proves my point about US labelling requirements for soap; because if that's all that's in it, it would have to come in a bottle, and would be an oil blend floating on water. My inquirer said it leaves his skin feeling like silk; would you agree? Would you describe the lather as creamy or bubbly?

I do wonder whether one wouldn't get a similar effect by just rubbing a plain soap bar on the face. :unsure:
I haven't had an opportunity to try the cube out, though.

I should probably also add that while sorbitol seems to be a relatively widely used ingredient, I've never liked the smell of any products that use it. It add a sweetness that's lacking... proper integration, for the lack of a better term (and my ability to explain it).
Kind of like adding white sugar compared to adding honey.

I dislike sweetness in soap and perfume scents in general anyway, though.

It does leave a lovely post wash feel if just used as a face wash. It has a very thin creamy lather to it when water is added but says to just rub it on the stubble before shaving and lather your normal soap as normal. I find it helps with the first pass making everything glide a little more smoothly but after that I don’t really notice any noticeable difference.

Hmmm, when talking about glide, I'll mention one of my recent(ish) observations, with a bit of context.
Before I go for a run, I apply magnesium oil (https://artnaturals.com/magnesium-oil.html or ) onto my skin, massaging it in.
When I try to wash off what's on my hands:
- bar soap gets it off fine, pretty much regardless of base oils used,
- Dr. Bronner's soap struggles with it, and creates a semi-slick surface,
- Little Blue Hen soap (I mixed https://www.littlebluehensoap.co.uk/product-page/pure-liquid-soap-unscented-250ml and https://www.littlebluehensoap.co.uk/product-page/orange-blossom-liquid-soap), which is based on sunflower, coconut and rapeseed oils doesn't really seem to remove any, or very little, instead making my hands slick as heck.

I haven't tried using the combination of magnesium oil and the sunflower oil based soap mentioned for shaving, but I might have a go at it during the week and report back.

I figure it might be an interesting alternative to the Cube, if it ends up working for shaves.

View attachment 108861Too be honest it’s probably just in my head, but it says it’s a prewash face soap/degreaser and I feel add speeds up stubble softening and aides the glide of some poorer quality soaps, (I wouldn’t include yours in that obviously!) I love it as a facewash in the shower before I shave but in reality I can do just fine without.
I found this on Agent Shave if it helps.
Just realised I read the ingredients carelessly and they do mention sodium cocoate and stearate. So it's a basic soap with a shed load of added ingredients. I'm wondering if it feels tacky to the touch when dry?

Just realised I read the ingredients carelessly and they do mention sodium cocoate and stearate. So it's a basic soap with a shed load of added ingredients. I'm wondering if it feels tacky to the touch when dry?
Feels like a slightly soft/soft waxy soap, like a rich glycerin soap that’s been wet for a while and drying out! Not the best description but it’s not a hard soap by any means. It definitely rubs a layer off it when rubbing against stubble.

What is this thing which has today been brought to my attention? I see @LeeMaz uses it. What exactly does it do, and would anyone have a list of ingredients (although labelling requirements in the US are minimal). They've certainly got some cute soap moulds...I might at some stage consider a rectangle. :ROFLMAO:

Apologies if I am misreading the intentions of this post, but as a soap maker are you looking to create a pre shave soap?

I never got to use it but I read good things about it but read good things about it but it's resigned to history.

Valobra had a soap a few used for pre shave, it was called Glicerlanolina or something along those lines. I presume it was glycerine and lanolin, maybe tallow as well. I know there are a number of fans of the holy trinity here (tallow, lanolin and glycerine).

@TomG I searched here and you have this Valobra soap, what are your thoughts on it?

Apologies if I am misreading the intentions of this post, but as a soap maker are you looking to create a pre shave soap?

I never got to use it but I read good things about it but read good things about it but it's resigned to history.

Valobra had a soap a few used for pre shave, it was called Glicerlanolina or something along those lines. I presume it was glycerine and lanolin, maybe tallow as well. I know there are a number of fans of the holy trinity here (tallow, lanolin and glycerine).

@TomG I searched here and you have this Valobra soap, what are your thoughts on it?
Ach. Brito makes a pre-shave soap as well.
What is it? Proof that suckers will buy anything if it's marketed right. Pre-shaves didn't exist 20 years ago, except for that 'King of Shaves' stuff, and IIRC, the owner admitted that it was a bit of a gimmicky product years later.

As for Cube, I think that might have been inspired by the old Charles Roberts Method Shaving products.

Back
Top Bottom