Complaint about scent????

I've just had an Ebay buyer complain over 3 weeks after buying some Warm Spice that he doesn't like the scent!! He's happy with the shave, it's just the scent he doesn't like. I've offered him a refund if he wishes to return it, including all postage costs.....but I don't think I should have to, other than the one sided way Ebay works, so that one unreasonable buyer can wreak your feedback, and there's nothing you can do about it.
But honestly, would you complain about the scent of something you had bought over the internet?? Surely not liking the scent is one of the hazards of internet buying?? Fair enough maybe if the scent was something like Lavender, and it smelt nothing like Lavender....but Warm Spice....what do you expect that to smell like. People have picked up Cardamom and Ginger in it....how spicy should it be????
Just needed to vent a little....calm now :D

If I'd bought something blind and then didn't like the scent, then I'd just stop using it. That is really the only course of action unless the vendor has made some sort of promise or "no quibble" statement.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of idiots out there that think that they're entitled to everything for nothing.

Ian

Yes, Cyber boot certainly does attract some unreasonable people, and the way the feedback system now works encourages this. Having said that, most buyers are very nice, and generous in their feed back and star ratings, I've had very few problems so far. One buyer complained that my 'pink tint' lip balm didn't discernably tint her lips pink; I offered her a refund too albeit I disagreed, but she sent a message back saying that after using it for a few days it was better than her L'Oreal one that she had paid £11 for.
I always bend over backwards (pause for Pig Cat to come in here ;) ) to provide good prompt service, and to ensure that buyers are happy, whether on Ebay or throught my site. I suppose I just have to accept this kind of thing will happen, and chalk it up as a predictable 'business' expence....albeit at the moment soapy obsession has me in debit, so not sure if that counts as a business.

It's that sort of carry on that used to annoy me when I was selling stuff on E-Bay.

If you haven't already got some, then you need to make up some small print. Returns policy etc. I would not refund postage. QVC don't do it, so why should you or anyone else?

It's an internet auction site and people forget this. As long as your item description is accurate, and the goods are not faulty (shaving soap I know) then that should be that. IMO.

I haven't bought or sold anything there for ages. I thought that if someone gave negative feedback then you had right of reply.

The majority are honest buyers and sellers, but E-bay has more than it's fair share of chancers.

I know I'm not obliged to refund, and my T & C's say the usual stuff about right to cancel within 7 days and return for refund (not after using the item for 3 weeks!), and also that I will refund if the item is faulty in any way.....but this is a comparatively new a/c I set up last November, leaving behind my 500+ positive feedback on previous a/c, so as I now only have 104 f/b, one neg would be very bad indeed. Ebay does drive me mad at times, but it does get a lot of traffic, so I suppose overall I just have to accept it's deficiencies and that they are the trade off for getting the products out there.

Smell The Glove said:
If you haven't already got some, then you need to make up some small print. Returns policy etc. I would not refund postage. QVC don't do it, so why should you or anyone else?

If they don't then they're acting contrary to the law, as tested in the European Court of Justice (applicable here)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=10919" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.out-law.com/default.aspx?page=10919</a><!-- m -->

I go beyond what is required offering to refund ALL costs where there is a fault, although not liking a scent can hardly be regarded as a fault. Legally, in the present case, I could just tell him 'tough'.

My mate was selling a car on ebay. He described the colour as black. Some helpful chappie emailed him and said, "actually, it's not black, it's midnight grey". To which my friend responded, "c0ck off".

There are some strange people out there.

If I bought something that was advertised as smelling of warm spice, but when I received it I found that it actually smelled of poo, I might complain. Otherweise, meh, I couldn't be bothered.

I think that personal taste is noting which you should be held accountable for! If they leave you bad feedback then can't you reply saying the fragrance is a matter of personal preference and coming back to you after 3 weeks is just too long. I generally read the neg feedback and if the vendor responses seem more reasonable than the narky buyer then I disregard them.

It makes no difference what the seller decides to put in small print. If the buyer opened a legitimate dispute (I'm not sure that this is) then usually ebay will side with the buyer. In this case though you can smell the soap and decide whether you like the product without using it as you can with many other scented products. You are always going to get some jerks, I'd try and clarify your position.

IMO if your buying a scent over the net and you have no idea what its supposed to smell like.. then your taking pot luck and 'should' really accept that.
Personally i always try to get a nose at anything i buy before hand - but if i buy blind and then hate it - i consider it my own fault, and thats that.
Ill try to sell it on or just PIF and consider it a learning exercise.

As far as Ebay goes, ill only ever give negative feedback if the product has been grossly misrepresented (You know Buy a nice DE and a get a stick with a Blade taped to it) and the seller has basically told me to go hither, or didnt turn up and again the seller couldn't give a rats ass.
Otherwise if i spoken to the seller ill just leave it at that and not make any comment either way (so far, no problem ive had (and ive had a few) has ever left me out of pocket , without a replacement or without dialogue with the sellers)

OFC im a little old fashioned. Being in my late 30's i grew up in the dying stages of the culture were you were taught to put up with your mistakes, do your homework, and be polite to others - consequentially i rarely buy anything without doing some reading up first, then politely ask questions if im not sure of something.

Trouble is nowadays everyone's on the make and think they have a right to compensation - even for the most pointless stuff.

Wait a minute - I've just realised....

soapalchemist said:
I've just had an Ebay buyer complain over 3 weeks after buying some Warm Spice that he doesn't like the scent!! He's happy with the shave, it's just the scent he doesn't like.

He's used it - ask him how much he thinks a used soap is worth, so you can set the refund at the right level.

hunnymonster said:
Wait a minute - I've just realised....

soapalchemist said:
I've just had an Ebay buyer complain over 3 weeks after buying some Warm Spice that he doesn't like the scent!! He's happy with the shave, it's just the scent he doesn't like.

He's used it - ask him how much he thinks a used soap is worth, so you can set the refund at the right level.

:lol: :lol: Worth nothing obviously. I'm only asking him to return it so that if he is a complete chancer trying to get it for free, as least he doesn't get to keep the soap. I'm still waiting for his reply to see if he want's to return it.

There's no way he could enforce a refund without returning it or your agreement.

I'm afraid the buyer maybe more aware of his rights than you are, under DSR's the item doesn't have to be returned in it's original condition so you may have to make a separate claim for not taking reasonable care of the goods. If you can be bothered.

The Distance Selling Regs are not like high street regs, he could crap in the soap return it and you'd still owe him a full refund but you'd have to make a separate claim in return.

Back
Top Bottom