cold water shaving

There has been a big thread over at B&B about shaving with cold water. Anyone tried it??

I gave it a go this morning. Had a warm shower. Filled sink up with cold water and did normal shave. The wilko shave stick lathered up as normal. Had a good shave with the feathers.
Can't say I really noticed anything different apart from being a bit more refreshing :shock: .

Will give it a few more goes before going back to warm water.

I wash my face with cold water at the end of my shave, that's as much discomfort as I'm prepared to put up with, especially in this weather!

I read some of that thread, can't say I'm tempted. Closed pores might be beneficial whilst shaving but not the tougher beard which is the compromise plus the discomfort and COLD LATHER....UGGGHHH.

I get a bit upset when I forget to warm up the cold steel along with a brush that's soaking. Too many VET's in that camp, a cold rinse at the end is cold enough for me.

Cold water just doesn't soften the bristles up enough. I enjoy a refreshing cold rinse at the end but need my warm lather during the shave.

I've been shaving with cold water for about 5/6 days and must say I'm having smoother shaves, no discomfort, as for the water being cold you soon get used to it ;) .

I read somewhere that rinsing the razor, and therefore the blade, in cold water is beneficial.

Theory behind this, based on the universal law of Physics, is that if you rinse the blade in warm water it will expand resulting in it being 'less' sharp. Rinse it in cold water the blade doesnt expand and therefore retains a sharper edge. Class adjourned :)

Given the coefficient of linear expansion of the most expansive steel I spotted in quickly looking is 17.3 parts per million per Kelvin (so a 1 metre length will expand in length by 1.73mm going from 0C to 100C) - the absolute change in a razor blade (never mind it's cutting edge) is not going to be significant (assuming cold water is 10C and hot is 50C)

The length of the razor blade (nominally call it 50mm - they're probably not even that long) will change by 0.05*0.0000173*(50-10)*1000mm which works out to be 0.035mm give or take.

The thickness of a blade (not the edge) will change by less than 0.001mm - I doubt manufacturing tolerances of the donor tape that the blades are made from are that tight...

Now if your cold water is -200C and your hot +1000 then the numbers might make that claim more attractive.

No...just no.

Maybe in a hot country it is a laugh but in this country and at our ambient temps I love the warmth, like antdad I get annoyed if I forget to heat the razor head a bit before bringing it to my face.

I do like the cold splash at the end, but that is fine and bracing, if I tried to shave with cold water I'd shiver and slash myself.

Tringo said:
I read somewhere that rinsing the razor, and therefore the blade, in cold water is beneficial.

Theory behind this, based on the universal law of Physics, is that if you rinse the blade in warm water it will expand resulting in it being 'less' sharp. Rinse it in cold water the blade doesnt expand and therefore retains a sharper edge.

Bollocks. If heat expansion, in this temperature range, had a significant effect on edge sharpness, many more relevant processes would suffer from this, and would either control cutting temperature variability, or hone edges at operational temperatures. Not even the knives of biological microtomes are treated this way... Err, not sure that that is actually a good example, but you get my point.

Also remember that the blade represents a tiny amount of material, with consequently a limited heat capacity. If it were only the blade, any heating or cooling effect from hot or cold water rinses would be negated by the heat absorbed from the skin in no time. Same with the lather -- whether warm or cold, the lather soon adopts the skin's temperature. During shaving the blade temperature therefore essentially is the skin temperature.

But wait, you say, you're not only shaving with a bare blade, there's also the rest of the razor. Correct, and that rest of the razor is so large/heavy that it won't change temperature much from quick rinses in hot or cold water. So whichever way you look at it, rinsing in hot or cold water will not significantly influence actual blade temperature during (much of) the shave.

I think that warm water helps in softening the beard (as in quickens it), and warm lather is more comfortable. Other than that, I don't think there will be a major difference in hot vs. cold shaving. Warm water/lather shaving works, and probably shortens the prep time, cold water shaving also works.

Absolutely brilliant - the first time, as a new member, I contribute to the forum and reply to a post i am greeted by 'Bollocks' from a long standing member . .superb.

Does metal expand with heat .. yes, would that be signficant in the context of the blade . . probably not, did I post my original comment under the pretence of being a 'Mr Charlie Big Potato' . .no - just passing on some information that I had come across, do i think my comment warranted a 'Bollocks'. . no..do i want to continue being a member of this forum . . no

Thanks for the memories . . .

Tringo

Tringo said:
Absolutely brilliant - the first time, as a new member, I contribute to the forum and reply to a post i am greeted by 'Bollocks' from a long standing member . .superb.

Does metal expand with heat .. yes, would that be signficant in the context of the blade . . probably not, did I post my original comment under the pretence of being a 'Mr Charlie Big Potato' . .no - just passing on some information that I had come across, do i think my comment warranted a 'Bollocks'. . no..do i want to continue being a member of this forum . . no

Tringo

Chill out mate,

Henk is our "go to" guy with any scientific/biological queries and personally, it's only a forum so don't be so bloody sensitive.

I think it was the fact that your post came across quite "matter of factly" saying "Class Adjorned"

anyway....

Bye bye then.

I won't be giving this a go either.

On more than a few occasions i have had to shave with cold water and there is nothing good about it.

Although; tincture of apple cider vinegar and sun dried parrot droppings will soften the beard. :roll:

Tringo said:

Tringo

Mate, you need a thicker skin than that if you are going to enjoy this forum, so it might not be for you.
Please don't get offended at that get offended for something offensive.

Dr.Henk has just been sniffing too much Essential Oil.

Back
Top Bottom