Cold Water Shaving for sensative skin

Having had mixed results with different combos of kit n creams, along with skin thats sensative to essential oil (thou I'm not sure which ones yet). I have decided to roll back to basics and have discovered that for the past three days I have been having really comfortable, very close no niks shaves, using just COLD WATER. After the shave my skin feels tighter and smoother!.
My combo for the past few days has been
SS flaretip and a tech
7 oclock yell
palmolive stick, grated & bowl lathered
finished with Prof. Blightys special unction-without any essential oils

The blade does seem to need more pull and it is a little noisier than with warm/hot shaving, i understand thats because the hair is stiffer with cold water. Under neck area is calm with no niks/burn.

I'll will try my other shave cremes over the coming days and keep you posted. :shave

Re: Cold Water 22nd April

Same combo-
ss flaretip
palmolive stick (cheap as chips)
7 oclock yell
lathered in bowl
prep face with cold water splashes, lather and leave for a couple of minutes, palm strop blade and away we go..
Two passes, a third to tidy up in odd places. Cold splash rinse with fresh water, towel pat and Prof. Blightys no sugar unction,,,nice. Spent the rest of the day on the computer typing with my right hand and stroking my face with my left hand. My face I said :roll:

Great isn't it!

Have been cold water shaving for the last three weeks or so and really enjoying my shaves, but this also coincides with having discovered the wonders of French soaps - L'Occitane Cade and Martin de Candre, both these soaps make great lather using cold water, mind you I think the MdC would make a great lather if you used mud or unrefined oil it's that good :lol: - so not really sure which of these new experiences have added to the quality of my shaves. Having said that I have, for as long as I can remember, always rinsed the razor in cold water, but it wasn't until I read on one of the forums about cold water shaving that I took up the challenge. OK so one or two of my shaves have not been so successful but looking over my records I put that down to the creams used - Musgo Real and T&H 1805 - which really surprised me as I used to get really smooth shaves from both these creams using warm water. Will revisit these two come the colder weather when I might go back to warm water as the cold water here comes out in cubes when the temperature starts to drop :shock:. On a couple of occasions when using other creams - TOBS - I have taken it a step further by using warm water and a bowl for the lather, this is also a really nice way to do things, as the feel of the warm lather on a cold rinsed face is just lovely and again gave me some close, smooth shaves.

So keep it up. It really is a great way to start the day.

Cold water shaving RAWKS!!! :cool:

Interesting. I think some of my worst ever shaves came from those days where the hot water hadn't come on and I was forced to "go cold". :)
Not for me but I can see the appeal in this weather. Funny how we all differ.

I also have sensitive skin..cold water does work best for me as well..warm water makes me sweat more and using a str8 razor..makes more irritation

ST

Thanks for the heads up on those French soaps Proudfoot, I'll certainly give them a try. Your right about some soaps/creams lathering better with warm/hot water than with cold, I've found that with my collection. What I have been doing (and I forgot to note that down in my previous post) is kinda what you describe, soak the badge in hot water and bowl lather, ok by the time I get around to applying its cold but it is easier to work up when warm.
I've not tried a st8 yet Blades, I have seen a couple of vintage st8s in an antique/collector type selling centre not to far from here, I have been tempted but i think wifey might blow a gasket if she sees me infront of the mirror with one,,,,,,,,then again !!
I'm pleased to hear other comments about cold water shaving, starting to wonder if I was the only person in the world that did it. :roll:

canon said:
Thanks for the heads up on those French soaps Proudfoot, I'll certainly give them a try. Your right about some soaps/creams lathering better with warm/hot water than with cold, I've found that with my collection. What I have been doing (and I forgot to note that down in my previous post) is kinda what you describe, soak the badge in hot water and bowl lather, ok by the time I get around to applying its cold but it is easier to work up when warm.
I've not tried a st8 yet Blades, I have seen a couple of vintage st8s in an antique/collector type selling centre not to far from here, I have been tempted but i think wifey might blow a gasket if she sees me infront of the mirror with one,,,,,,,,then again !!
I'm pleased to hear other comments about cold water shaving, starting to wonder if I was the only person in the world that did it. :roll:

Do not get Tazzbaby started he is evangelical about cold water shaving. :shave

Another good shave using cold water
Ball Tech
palmolive stick lathered in bowl
7 oclock yell
'low salt' unction to damp face to finish.
Yup really good, smooth finish, very happy easter bunny :)
[attachment=0]

Attachments

• tech.jpg
    361 bytes · Views: 84
Nice one Canon!!
Mad but nice.
I am going to try this! You will be able to hear the screams from my bathroom....
I read a very old shaving book, turn of the century about straight shaving and they advocated leaving the bristles stiff (bristles I said) so as to give the blade more purchase. Non of this namby pamby softening up malarkey.
I will let you know..........
Cheers,
TB.
P.S. nice photo you should do that for a living......!! :lol:

Hey Slick, bought a load of these comb blades at a carboot sale over the weekend, thought with them being gillettes I couldnt go wrong. The guy told me that they convert a regular de straight bar razor into an open comb, cant wait to try one out, it might be just what my sensative skin needs. I'll keep you posted :shave[attachment=0]

Attachments

• comb_blades.jpg
    361 bytes · Views: 80
canon said:
Hey Slick, bought a load of these comb blades at a carboot sale over the weekend, thought with them being gillettes I couldnt go wrong. The guy told me that they convert a regular de straight bar razor into an open comb, cant wait to try one out, it might be just what my sensative skin needs. I'll keep you posted :shave[attachment=0]
Those look like they'd hurt :eek:

canon said:

They look wrong.

Back
Top Bottom