Closed Cobra Classic Pass Around - COMPLETE

Used the King Cobra late last night and today. I find it difficult to say how far along the scale I enjoy this razor. It doesn't take well to thick lather, the head gets clogged up quite easily. A wetter lather works much better. The blade loading is now a piece of cake. But my OCD kicks in when I see tea stains on the blade, not throwing it away after each use, as I do with my DE's. This is a user issue as opposed to the razor. Just obviously need to dry it off better.

The audio feedback is what I enjoy most, loud and apparent.

Sharpness this is what throws me. After three uses the blade should still be sharp but it doesn't feel as it did on its first outing. It is as though I'm shaving with a straight that hasn't been finished on a high enough hone grit rating. What I mean by this is it has a 'velvety' or 'furry' feel when I pass blade over stubble, as opposed to crisp cutting edge. The shaves are close but definitely not as close as my straights or even a couple of DE razors.

Styling is excellent, I'm still having difficulty getting the correct cutting angle on my neck. It clears stubble and you can hear it cutting but it isn't super smooth? Could it be that after 3 uses the blade is dulled? I have a thick beard growth but shave every day.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Three shaves is about the limit of what I can get out of feather pro, given the high cost of blades compared to DEs, it's certainly not a cheap razor to run as your daily.
Out of interest what DE Razors give you a closer shave ?

Three shaves is about the limit of what I can get out of feather pro, given the high cost of blades compared to DEs, it's certainly not a cheap razor to run as your daily.
Wow I thought SE blades would last a lot longer. I suppose for 20 blades at £12.49 it isn't terrible. I get a closer shave from my ATT H1 and Blackbird.

Aye..All these Stories of 30 Shaves from a Feather Pro Blade Don't quite Figure to Me..Then again that was the Exact same Folks that were claiming the Mongoose was an Aggressive Blood Letter when in Actual Fact its a Pussycat..:eek:

Billy

Aye..All these Stories of 30 Shaves from a Feather Pro Blade Don't quite Figure to Me..Then again that was the Exact same Folks that were claiming the Mongoose was an Aggressive Blood Letter when in Actual Fact its a Pussycat..:eek:

Billy
I have no idea where I stand then, as I am definitely not in the 30 shave group and the Mongoose was an aggressive bully boy on my face

Wow I thought SE blades would last a lot longer. I suppose for 20 blades at £12.49 it isn't terrible. I get a closer shave from my ATT H1 and Blackbird.

Good to know as a blackbird is on its way to me now.
I get more mileage out of Dorco blades in both mongoose and cobra. Not as sharp but stay sharp longer... Maybe 4 to 5 shaves.

I have no idea where I stand then, as I am definitely not in the 30 shave group and the Mongoose was an aggressive bully boy on my face

Those Feather Pro Blades are Sharp in the 1st Instance at Least..They Require a Feather Like Touch..If anything like any Pressure is Used those Blades can Feel Harsh..That Harshness from where I am Standing can Turn them into Bully Boys..The Feather Pro Blade isn't for everyone and that's where Folks thought the Mongoose was Aggressive..;)

I use the Feather Pro in Very Aggressive Injectors..Far More Aggressive than the Mongoose..Anything more than a Feather Touch & the Razor will Scrape the Face from Me..In Addition the Heavy Stainless Mongoose Didn't Help Matters..:)

Billy

Those Feather Pro Blades are Sharp in the 1st Instance at Least..They Require a Feather Like Touch..If anything like any Pressure is Used those Blades can Feel Harsh..That Harshness from where I am Standing can Turn them Into Bully Boys..The Feather Pro Blade isn't for everyone and that's where Folks thought the Mongoose was Aggressive..;)

I use the Feather Pro in Very Aggressive Injectors..Far More Aggressive than the Mongoose..Anything more than a Feather Touch & the Razor will Scrape the Face from Me..In Addition the Heavy Stainless Mongoose Didn't Help Matters..:)

Billy
Interesting I put it down to the weight as I did try a Kai and another. Also found the drag from the head to be a nuisance. Which blade would you pair with the Cobra Billy? I prefer an aggressive shave.

Wow I thought SE blades would last a lot longer. I suppose for 20 blades at £12.49 it isn't terrible.
Depends on the SE blade, really. I easily get 6-8 shaves out of a GEM blade in my 1912. Four to six shaves with most injector blades, except the Personna 74 blades. I got over 20 shaves with one of them once. But they are eye-watering expensive if you can find them at all. Feather blades are sharp, but don't last at all. That goes for Artist Club, the ones used in the OneBlade or DE blades.
If you do two pass shaves, multiply those numbers by two.

Interesting I put it down to the weight as I did try a Kai and another. Also found the drag from the head to be a nuisance. Which blade would you pair with the Cobra Billy? I prefer an aggressive shave.

The Feather Pro all the Way..The Feather Pro is the Sharpest & Smoothest Current Blade on the Market Today..It can leave the Skin like Velvet like No other Current Factory Blade in the Right Hands..In the Wrong Hands..Well..:D

Billy

Used the King Cobra late last night and today. I find it difficult to say how far along the scale I enjoy this razor. It doesn't take well to thick lather, the head gets clogged up quite easily. A wetter lather works much better. The blade loading is now a piece of cake. But my OCD kicks in when I see tea stains on the blade, not throwing it away after each use, as I do with my DE's. This is a user issue as opposed to the razor. Just obviously need to dry it off better.

The audio feedback is what I enjoy most, loud and apparent.

Sharpness this is what throws me. After three uses the blade should still be sharp but it doesn't feel as it did on its first outing. It is as though I'm shaving with a straight that hasn't been finished on a high enough hone grit rating. What I mean by this is it has a 'velvety' or 'furry' feel when I pass blade over stubble, as opposed to crisp cutting edge. The shaves are close but definitely not as close as my straights or even a couple of DE razors.

Styling is excellent, I'm still having difficulty getting the correct cutting angle on my neck. It clears stubble and you can hear it cutting but it isn't super smooth? Could it be that after 3 uses the blade is dulled? I have a thick beard growth but shave every day.

Hmmmm, this is most astonishing and rather perplexing Nishy. I strongly recommend you send it my way so I can confirm and validate your findings my friend.

4th use with the Cobra, new feather Pro blade. Nannys 'the beef' sample used with a Shavemac (obviously) DO1 2band badger.

Not much more to add that has already been said. A very small knick to the chin and difficulty in getting the angle correct on my neck. I keep 'automatically' switching to a cartridge angle then remember no pressure and adjust to a straight razor angle? Neither seem right apart from on my cheeks. This razor does not like a thick lather, wet and thin seem to suit it best.

The noise love the noise! Loud, aggressive, boisterous feedback as it slices through stubble. Aesthetically it is a looker (those with OCD may get peeved at the small ball like parts on the underside in between the ridges or snake skin) and is very well balanced. Ergonomically it is sound and blade loading once you get used to it is fairly easy.

The Feather Pro should be good for 10+ shaves.

I think sometimes folk press the razor too firmly against the skin when there is no need too thus shortening the life of the blade.YMMV and all that, but I've managed to get well over 10 shaves per Feather Pro blade...

The Feather Pro should be good for 10+ shaves.

I think sometimes folk press the razor too firmly against the skin when there is no need too thus shortening the life of the blade.YMMV and all that, but I've managed to get well over 10 shaves per Feather Pro blade...

This is probably a user error on my part. I started with the lightest of touches and over the course of the last few shaves have tried to apply pressure to get a closer shave. Also have adopted three passes (WTG, XTG, XTG other direction) but still seems to be leaving a fair amount of stubble. I think it is a matter of getting used to the angles. I'll definitely throw in a few Feather pro blades as these aren't cheap.

Back
Top Bottom