Close but not as comfortable

Id suspect that the cream is drying on your face due to you taking your time getting things right - As you speed up it wont be such a problem.
Perhaps just add a wee bit of water to the lather / Brush between passes.
IMHO while i love Palmolive sticks to death, i would give the Cream a definite go .. I used it myself and despite having some seriously expensive soaps and creams in my cupboard - i still love using the stuff.

Theres loads in the early days that will annoy, Just keep with it and it will come together.
Couple of months and you will wondering what the problem was.

Thanks for all the help lads. I already have the palmolive classic cream, so i will revert to the personna and try the palmolive cream and see how it goes.
The help is gratefully accepted.

heroblob said:
Thanks for all the help lads. I already have the palmolive classic cream, so i will revert to the personna and try the palmolive cream and see how it goes.
The help is gratefully accepted.

Personnas and Palmolive cream are a great combination, stick with it and try the other stuff later. :cool:

I worked my way through at least one of every blade in my sample pack when I started. I had some pretty awful shaves which I put down to the blades. I decided to stick with Personnas for my daily ie for work shaves as they were mild but sharp enough for me. 3 months on I have revisited what was left in my sample pack and not surprisingly I have had excellent shaves with them all so far, even chokes Derbys. Yes DERBYs!

It's hard not to get caught up in the huge amount of razor / blade / soap / cream recommendations of everyone on here but practicing your technique is the best answer. If you need better lather buy a Palmolive shave stick, make sure your face is wet when you rub it all over, then apply your Palmolive cream lather which will give you what's referred to as "superlather" which will make your initial shaves better. When you have a spare 5 mins practice making lather in your hand to get the right consistency.

But above all stick at it, it will come!!!

simmo3801 said:
I worked my way through at least one of every blade in my sample pack when I started. I had some pretty awful shaves which I put down to the blades. I decided to stick with Personnas for my daily ie for work shaves as they were mild but sharp enough for me. 3 months on I have revisited what was left in my sample pack and not surprisingly I have had excellent shaves with them all so far, even chokes Derbys. Yes DERBYs!

It's hard not to get caught up in the huge amount of razor / blade / soap / cream recommendations of everyone on here but practicing your technique is the best answer. If you need better lather buy a Palmolive shave stick, make sure your face is wet when you rub it all over, then apply your Palmolive cream lather which will give you what's referred to as "superlather" which will make your initial shaves better. When you have a spare 5 mins practice making lather in your hand to get the right consistency.

But above all stick at it, it will come!!!

All good.

Im quite new to DE shaving, I found that most of the success is in the prep.
Have a good wash of the face in HOT water and then HOT towel for a few minutes, re-soaking the towel in hot running water so hot you can bearly squeeze it out, I concentrate on the neck area.
Even better is a nice hot shower instead.
I bought the Proraso pre shave cream (both the original and sensitive) and the Proraso A/S lotion from connaught early last week, I vigorously rub the pre shave cream into my clean HOT face and leave for a few minutes while preparing my lather.
Now, I found the whole DE shaving thing very relaxing and I dont rush a thing, spend as long as it needs to make the perfect thick lather.
I bought the palmolive cream a couple of weeks ago as it is cheap and just practiced making a good quality lather, finding out how much water to add, what size bowl was best etc etc.
Lots of ice cold water after the shave followed by the A/S then the pre/post shave cream again.

This seems to work well for me, it has got much better since I bought the Proraso pre/post shave cream and aftershave. :cool:

Well said Red!

"Proper" aftershave was a turning point for me. Proraso, the original Shulton Old Spice from India (available from Maharajashave), and now Speick all work really well for me at closing the pores and something I didn't realise before, smoothing off the face almost polishing it!

I tend not to use the perfume house types of AS now

moodymick said:
Yep, i've said it before, Speick AS really is the Mutts Nuts for a nice smooth feeling on the face all though prolonged use leads to dressing as a Nun and singing Edelweiss. mind you if you get it real bad - Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer!!!

Have a Rammstein CD (on volume 10 of course) blasting, while you shave - you'll complete the Teutonic imagery and shave with a new found......well just try it and see!

Be careful.

:cool:

Blyth Spirit said:
moodymick said:
Yep, i've said it before, Speick AS really is the Mutts Nuts for a nice smooth feeling on the face all though prolonged use leads to dressing as a Nun and singing Edelweiss. mind you if you get it real bad - Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer!!!

Have a Rammstein CD (on volume 10 of course) blasting, while you shave - you'll complete the Teutonic imagery and shave with a new found......well just try it and see!

Be careful.

It could never get that bad, my son listerns to them all day long :roll:

T

Tony_B said:
Blyth Spirit said:
moodymick said:

Be careful.

It could never get that bad, my son listerns to them all day long :roll:

T

That'll larn ye! ;)

I was dragged off to see them twice!! I thought that as I had to drive Spirit Jnr and his pals I may as well get a ticket and see them - a duck out of water springs to mind...me dressed for an Eagles show (er, 1970s style and looking good, I thought) surrounded by Heaven only knows what and about 20-30 years younger :shock: .

To be fair I've never seen a rock stage show like them either it before or since (and my 'gigs' go back 40 years) - awesome! I would have hated to have missed it. Music was more than ok too, if a tad loud.

Er, yo dude. Socks, clogs and sausage rolls.

Blyth Spirit said:
No Rammstein to hand, but maybe it would work with Laibach.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwdOX19_ETI[/youtube]
Chances are you'd wind up annexing the neighbours' bathroom.

Is one of those "drummers" from Laibach the refugee pianist from the old pop duo Sparks ? If so I'll try whatever monkey glands he's been taking. And that ending was ever so reminiscent of how our neighbours Bar b Q ended after mun, dad & three weans each poured some flammable fluid on what turned out to be a veritable pyre without telling one another.

Listening to Vince Taylor (the onetime lead singer with the Playboys as distinct from the bodybuilder) will seem positively tame now. You young 50 yr olds, what are you like !

JohnnyO. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom