Close but not as comfortable

Tuesday
Pre Hot face wash, Paul's peppermint shave scream, hot towel.
Soap ToBS Eton
Brush NF2201
Razor Merkur 38r 7 o'clock sharp edge.
Post block osma, EJ Aftershave balm with aloe.

This is the first time for many years i have shaved two days on the bounce. Decided to try a new blade today, changed the personna (which i found very comfortable) for a 7 o'clock sharpedge. Certainly different and not really in a good way. Seemed to require more work to cut the stubble, this resulted in more passes, which resulted in some small nicks and some soreness. Now i certainly wouldn't say it was the blades fault just yet, as this is only the 3rd DE shave so very much a beginner. Still finding the lather a strange affair. Seems nice and rich and thick but dries out on the face by the time i get to the other side. Adding more water makes it appear too thin, May just be that i am a bit slow at the moment. Also still trying to get the angle right, and adjusting until i cant hear and feel the blade cutting. May be that i am being a bit aggressive, and expecting too much of the first pass. Then i might be trying to get too fussy with the finish and attempting to work out the best way to get to the areas that have been slightly left rough. This results in a few too many re-lathers and additional passes to find improvement. possibly too much.
Any way will try the 7 o'clock again with a little less work and see how it goes. if the results are the same they will be dropped from the Blade stash.
May invest in some Proraso Pre shave, seem many of you use it.

Guess it's all just part of the "learning curve" H/Blob and underlines how we all individually find which blade(s) work well for us. When I use a pre shave I like Trumper's skin food which I rub in & just leave for a minute or so. If you want to try some (bit expensive to buy a bottle & then find you don't like it) drop me a PM & I'll post some down. I mostly use it as an after shave balm as I find it works gtr8 for me on skin soothing & rehydration.

Keep the (shaving) faith bro.

JohnnyO. :shave

You will soon come to realise that the right blade can make all the difference to the quality of shave.

Seems like you are going about things in the right way, study and practice lathering from the guides (yes it helps) and don't change too many things too quickly. Well done.

HB

Don't sweat the small stuff. I have no knowledge of these blades, but going by your evidence go back to the previous blades. My lather used to dry out on one side because at the beginning I was so bloody slow. I was pointed to a simple solution. Lather half your face and shave it. This is what I done 'till I became more competent. Try avoiding to use too many products. Hottest water you can use, sharpest blades you can use, least amount of time the blade touches your face. If we were all expert shavers there would be no need for balms, AS's etc. Stick with what works for a while, then try some changes.

Regards

Thanks for the Precious info guys.
I had considered going back to the personna next time, and i do understand the benefit of staying with a setup which works until the proficiency improves.
I was just interested to see if i could notice a difference with a another blade bearing in mind i was going to change the blade anyway. I think i read somewhere that sometimes very sharp blades can give irritation, but improve as they dull. I have also read that sometimes you get a duff blade, so wont fully rule them out yet either. This business of finding the right combination looks like it may take a sizable amount of time.

I also like the idea of only lathering one side of my face at a time. This will be the way i go for the next shave to see how it goes.
Thanks Again lads. The learning continues.

Stay with the basics for a while longer m8, start to change single components once you have achieved consistent shaves with what you started with.

I would suggest the soap your using to be the first thing changed, just my 2p worth. Have you tried the Palmolive stick, its very forgiving.

RB73 said:
Stay with the basics for a while longer m8, start to change single components once you have achieved consistent shaves with what you started with.

I would suggest the soap your using to be the first thing changed, just my 2p worth. Have you tried the Palmolive stick, its very forgiving.

I have some Palmolive cream, which i am looking to try at some point.

The Palmolive Stick is a good idea, but the TOBS cream will probably be easy to get a good lather from while your starting.

I wouldn't aim for BBS just yet either. As tempting as it is. Going over areas to many times is not a good thing. Make sure also there is lather over any area your razor goes, which I'm sure you already do. My first pass is never great. I can get a socially acceptable shave with 2 passes, but will have a few patches that I can normally feel.

NatJag said:
The Palmolive Stick is a good idea, but the TOBS cream will probably be easy to get a good lather from while your starting.

I wouldn't aim for BBS just yet either. As tempting as it is. Going over areas to many times is not a good thing. Make sure also there is lather over any area your razor goes, which I'm sure you already do. My first pass is never great. I can get a socially acceptable shave with 2 passes, but will have a few patches that I can normally feel.

I don't have the palmolive stick but i do have the palmolive cream. do you think there will be any difference between this and the ToBS with regards offering improved performance.
I must say i probably try and get a too good result from each pass and due to tacking lots of short strokes probably end up with a few that aren't lathered enough. i do try and move lather around during each pass with the fingers of the other hand, as i feel for stubble. I must try a shave where i limit this habit and collect the left stubble with the next full pass after the re-lather.

The PO stick I feel requires a lot more agitation on the face with the brush to get the lather the right consistency. I don't believe this is a bad thing as it will help prep the beard even further. For the money they are pretty much unbeatable. If they were really expensive I bet the forums would rave about them. Try 2 WTG passes and maybe 1 XTG. That is my everyday workday routine. The 2nd WTG catches missed bits and further reduces tough areas. When going out or whatever I have a 2nd quick XTG going in the opposite direction from the first. ATG isn't really an option for me. I get a BBS, sure, but the next day I've got a FSF: F*%*!%? Sore Face!

heroblob said:
I must say i probably try and get a too good result from each pass and due to tacking lots of short strokes probably end up with a few that aren't lathered enough. i do try and move lather around during each pass with the fingers of the other hand, as i feel for stubble. I must try a shave where i limit this habit and collect the left stubble with the next full pass after the re-lather.

Short strokes are desirable to maintain correct angle but I'd avoid "searching for stubble" during a pass. Once you know the direction of your beard growth you can choose the most appropriate passes that work for you but it takes time. Just try to think you are aiming for shaving par not an Eagle, mantic59's videos are priceless.

Just my observations from my findings....

I found the TOBS soaps to give a good lather, but it was very harsh on the face. No matter what i did it always left a slight burn that other soaps didnt. Same with the TOBS creams. f you are lookign around, I would go for something slick which gives good lather. I would say a MWF cake, or Tabac or Irisch Moos. Cant go wrong with any (apart from scent with the latter 2).

The combo of a 38r and the 7 oclock, well the 7 oclock i found at first to be unforgiving and i had the same experience. Stick with the same blade until you get the feel for technique, so if you like the personna, use that for a bit then experiment.

Back
Top Bottom