Clogged blades - is it me?

I'm currently using Proraso preshave, Proraso soap and Feathers in my Edwin Jagger DE 86bl.

I've noticed recently that I'm getting a lot of clogging under the blade, despite dunking it in the sink in hot water, shaking it under the water, even running it under the tap or actually tapping it on the sink under the water. Have I got too much soap on my face perhaps?

Here's a delightful photo to help explain :D

[attachment=5827]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350120998.558876.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350120998.558876.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 139
Lose the beard said:
OrangeSport said:
I must admit that I have only ever seen that with cartridge razors, and never with my DE razors. Perhaps I use a wetter lather than you....

Exactly what I was thinking.

Me too - to me, the stuff under the blade in the photo still looks green, whereas I imagine that Proraso's like everything else in that, once properly lathered, it goes white (never used it myself).

Proraso green is, in fact, white to start with. So the green tinge must be light trickery.

But, as said before, thick and gloopy is more likely to get stuck than thin and light.
I was definitely under hydrating for the first year of using brush and soap.

This head does have a small blade gap so if any razors are going to clog with thick soap residue, I'm not surprised this would be one. I've got the Jagger version, I can't remember it clogging, so maybe this thinner lather thing has some merit, or maybe you need a rinse a little more often... 3 strokes or so? I tend tend to rinse often with this razor.... with something "bigger" like a slant or open comb you can get away with doing half your face and it wouldn't clog.

I can't see that unscrewing heads half way through a shave is any good thing, I'm not sure I'd do that. I think that's a potentially risky answer to an almost trivial problem.

Canuck said:
This head does have a small blade gap so if any razors are going to clog with thick soap residue, I'm not surprised this would be one. I've got the Jagger version, I can't remember it clogging, so maybe this thinner lather thing has some merit, or maybe you need a rinse a little more often... 3 strokes or so? I tend tend to rinse often with this razor.... with something "bigger" like a slant or open comb you can get away with doing half your face and it wouldn't clog.

I can't see that unscrewing heads half way through a shave is any good thing, I'm not sure I'd do that. I think that's a potentially risky answer to an almost trivial problem.

Thanks Canuck :) I wouldn't actually shave using the head slightly unscrewed - I just meant I'd loosen it to rinse it. I appreciate your comments though - they inspire me to try an open comb. You know your stuff - suggestions for upgrading from a EJ 86bl?

I had the same problem when I re-started DE shaving. The answer for me was just a touch wetter lather, it seemed to allow the shaved material to flow though the head. Apparently that is what the slots behind each edge are for.

As said before about cartridge razors, and canned goop, mine always seemed to clog with all the crap and took some cleaning after the shave. Thankfully those days are long gone.

MagicEvie said:
suggestions for upgrading from a EJ 86bl?

The razor's a good one anyway, it's cheaper to try the lather and extra rinses first. I'm not an expert on open combs, I went straight to an R41 as my first OC so I'm probably not the best person to ask!

Back
Top Bottom