Changing blades too often?

I have found that Gillette 365 blades last around 5 days. But I like to rotate blades - I take a blade tray and place around 3 different brands of blade in the tray. At the moment I have a blade tray with Feather, WS Classic, Dorco 301, and 365 in alternate layers. When I get to the last 5 blades (I use an old blade inlay card to indicate this) I place another 5 from a different brand and put them in alternate layers to the previous 5 get even more variety, and so on.

Most blades last 4 days.

I get three or four shaves out of most new blades. I've tried one NOS Gillette Spoiler and got ten shaves out of that before it began to feel a bit rough.

I'm in a minority here clearly, but I'm terribly wasteful and I change about every two shaves. My reasoning is that life is short, blades are cheap, and I don't want a tugging feeling so I don't ever let it happen.

(Plus last time I changed a blade mid shave after feeling a tugging (and with early morning bleary eyes) I sliced my finger really badly, so I change it in the evening before bed and then I know I'm concentrating).

I found the same thing recently with the Personna Reds. Normally, I couldn't get beyond the three shave mark without irritation and pulling, but with these, I got to five shaves. I was really pleased with myself thinking it was because my technique had finally improved. Bugger. Brilliant blades though.

I get four shaves from a feather blade using my Feather DE razor and four using a Gillette super thin in my Merkur and four shaves using my Feather AC-SS even if I think I can get another one I dont certain things must be adhered to, I stick with my well practiced routine and say four and no more.

Regards Jamie

In my short time of DE shaving, I'd say I look for 3 shaves per blade (usually I'll do 2 passes as a minimum per shave).

I'm currently using a Shark SC and have used it for 5 shaves and will try for a 6th on my shave later. I think I also got 5 good shaves from a Lord Cool blade recently.

In contrast and contrary to points made earlier in this thread, Red Personnas have disappointed me. Admittedly I have only used two blades, but on both occasions I felt the second shave was a struggle and didn't even attempt to stretch to a 3rd shave. It might just be bad luck or bad technique or just an off day, but I have 8 of the pack left and if the next one doesn't perform any better, I'll probably be looking to PIF them.

Back
Top Bottom