Changing blades too often?

When I returned to DE shaving I used to change my blade every three days. I'm getting more forgetful now. I think I've been using my present blade for about a week and had another great shave today. And I think I'll carry on with it until I notice a difference.

Its the Enfield Bullet Peter, you'll find you are suddenly embued with Indian thrift...

and no smuggling of Indian Badger hair in the seat or fuel tank.

NotTheStig said:
What blade is that? I think I need to get some!

These. I got mine here but others may offer a better deal:

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Large_Dispenser_Pack_of_200_Personna_Razor_Blades.html#a1837

antdad said:
Its the Enfield Bullet Peter, you'll find you are suddenly embued with Indian thrift...

and no smuggling of Indian Badger hair in the seat or fuel tank.

Roll on Friday - I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas.

Thanks, I ask because connuaght has them in the vendors section at a great price.

I think I have one in the pif you kindly sent, will give it a try and then order some.

Thanks again.

Just , last week, got some on eBay. The eBay ad states that the reds were made in Israel. The price there was also very reasonable.

Fido said:
When I returned to DE shaving I used to change my blade every three days. I'm getting more forgetful now. I think I've been using my present blade for about a week and had another great shave today. And I think I'll carry on with it until I notice a difference.

I've been thinking lately about this subject. I wonder if the reason DE blades have to be changed so often is that they simply aren't made of the best materials using the best methods. Ie, if its true that a DE blade is heat treated to 56-58 RC hardness instead of 60+ typical of knives and straight razors, then it stands to reason that the DE blade would go duller much quicker.

Also, if the blade isn't polished to a true mirror finish, but relies upon the teflon coating, then once the teflon wears off the blade will start pulling after fewer uses.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. I might be on to something, but I might not be. Yet, it makes sense. Heat treatment and sharpening are some pretty large cost increases per razor blade when it costs so little to make them to begin with.

Hi Peter
I stopped counting the number of goes too. I was getting hung up on the quantity and not the quality of my shave.
I now simply chNge the blade when it feels cack (technical word)
I know I get more thN three shVes. I have ditched blades usually gileete yellows as I have got bored of it!!
Soz about spilling on mobule.
May try those USA blades.
I only have on brush!!
Tim

Received the shipment of reds yesterday. While the ad said they were from Israel. There is nothing on the sleave or the individual paper packaging saying where they were made.

i like the personas.. i got mine from connaught via ebay.

they are sharp but smooth... they work superbly in the EJ/Muhle head on my Chatsworth. They also seem to last, i get at least 4 good shaves out of one. Its my go to blade.

It varies for me. Some blades I can get a full week from without needing to change (and they might even be ok for a couple of shaves more) - Super Thin Platinums are a case in point. Feathers, for me, tend to go off after about four shaves, and then become rather unpleasant to use. Nacet Platinums are a little like the Super Thins for me, in that they last well on my beard, and tend to go off quite gracefuly.

I think the degree to which I pre-soak my beard first with a hot flannel for a couple of minutes, and leave the lather to work on it for a while may also help.

Back
Top Bottom