Buying a brush from AliExpress.

No additional payments chap. Your side of the transaction is now complete. AliExpress (AE) will hold your payment. Once your Yaqi product is delivered, you acknowledge delivery on the AE website and they will release the payment to Yaqi. Your payment will be taken at the time of purchase though.

So I pay £20 including VAT and "free" delivery for a Yaqi brush. What happens when it arrives in the UK? What additional payment will be required, to whom and how will it be paid?

Depending on which brush it is, there is a UK seller who have a few of their brushes for a few quid more, save you the delivery time. Sometimes they send things out within weeks, but I once had an order which took 3 months.

Yaqi also run a huge number of sales. If you're in no rush, you could save a little waiting for the sale.

Are you after a badger or a synth? If it's the latter, Yaqi do have a reputation for sending a few brushes with huge glue bumps. For around the £20 mark I'd be more inclined to get one of the new PAA synths, as they seem to use good synth knots with better QC than Yaqi.

Last edited:
Thats my current favourite synthetic but never tried their badger brushes! I have one on the way though and if it’s half as good as their synthetic ones you can’t go wrong.

I've also bought a few Yaqi brushes from there without having to pay customs charges
Delivery usually takes a couple of weeks

I ordered it on 20 May. It arrived on 1 June from China. That’s fine. No extra charges. So I have a two band brush for £21.88 inc. VAT. It looks great. The handle is perfectly made - no flaws. The knot is 22mm with a loft of 48mm so despite the floppy appearance after first use it has plenty of backbone. The handle is light and comfortable to handle. Today I swirled around a bowl of grated Argo stick to produce plenty of thick lather that I painted on. Very satisfying. The key point about a brush like this is that its price reflects the true costs of production In the Far East. Even my first New Forest brushes couldn’t match these Yaqi brushes for value bearing in mind UK costs. If you want to stick to a low budget these brushes will be hard to beat. Having said all this, the hair is not as soft as the New Forest two bands, it is what I call just a little scratchy, but still a pleasure to use. I’ll post a follow up after a few uses. I’ll be interested to see if it softens up.
And to complete my research I’ve ordered a silver tip and a synthetic.
It’s quite like old times.

9ABD11AF-3DFF-429C-86CE-FBB6B05A1C79.jpeg

I ordered it on 20 May. It arrived on 1 June from China. That’s fine. No extra charges. So I have a two band brush for £21.88 inc. VAT. It looks great. The handle is perfectly made - no flaws. The knot is 22mm with a loft of 48mm so despite the floppy appearance after first use it has plenty of backbone. The handle is light and comfortable to handle. Today I swirled around a bowl of grated Argo stick to produce plenty of thick lather that I painted on. Very satisfying. The key point about a brush like this is that its price reflects the true costs of production In the Far East. Even my first New Forest brushes couldn’t match these Yaqi brushes for value bearing in mind UK costs. If you want to stick to a low budget these brushes will be hard to beat. Having said all this, the hair is not as soft as the New Forest two bands, it is what I call just a little scratchy, but still a pleasure to use. I’ll post a follow up after a few uses. I’ll be interested to see if it softens up.
And to complete my research I’ve ordered a silver tip and a synthetic.
It’s quite like old times.

View attachment 70957

Pleased to hear the new Yaqi brush has worked out for you Rod.

I have a few Yaqis, all synths. If the glue bump is fine then they are great performers.

Not a good sign of their quality control but at least you got good customer service. It will be my first use of a synthetic brush for many years. I didn’t like the ones I tried but I’m hoping things have changed. But my badgers will never be neglected

I think they make brushes for other companies to their specs who have much better QC, but those companies charge a few quid more and have slightly different specs. The PAA/ApShave Co ones are supposed to be exceptional, which I think might be made be Yaqi.

There's a time and place for synths, the current generation are very good, certainly an upgrade on the S Fibre ones from a few years ago.

Research...oh we know where that all leads, got the itch again Peter? Enjoy the brush and atb.
Good to know you are still around Tony. Your advice to me and others here is greatly appreciated. I have too many other interests now to be tempted back. But I might just add the occasional new brush to the collection ......

Back
Top Bottom