Brush of the day.

Fri 23
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger

Sat 25
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow

Sun 26
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger - Wonderful lather created with the awesome brush...perfect!

Enjoying my reknotted Mohawk 5-341 today ...

I don't actually recall what the original knot was, but it was pulled and I managed to secure a large (well, large at the time at 22mm IIRC) PurTech synthetic knot. Again, at the time, any synthetic let alone a choice of synthetic was a scarce thing, but one or two Chinese eBayers were starting to move PurTech.

The manufacturer of PurTech clearly had Muhle Silvertip Fibre in its sights and almost made it! It's a superb synthetic, good backbone without being flicky, flows well, hydrates lather well without dumping all the water in one go and one the face it has just a bit of scritch.

The knot it but one half of a brush ...

The handle is a glorious Art Deco-styled piece, standing reasonably talll amongst its peers, akin to the older "professional" style like the Ever Ready to its right.

Another shot?

Of course, you might well recognise this shape ...

PAA found the expired patent and re-released it as the Starcraft. Nice, but not a patch on the original.

Would be Class re noted in Boar

"Mohawk 5-341

Canadian made and usually with a bristle knot, this Mohawk has been re-knotted with Purtech synthetic at 24mm. It's a big brush with a good bloom, comfortable in the hand and sure when lathering. Lovely fluted base.

One of my favourite brushes ..."

Internet pic.

Last edited:
Boar is 100% my favourite brush,
i even like breaking them in and i’m more than happy to be scritchy.
Saying that i do have some cracking Badger & Synthetics which i know your not keen
I have one badger that is very nice, but there is no scritch, it's a two band and nice and firm and full but it's got soft tips and is just boring to use. I want boar not boring.

Nice example of a hard to find handle.