Brush of the day.

Fri 23
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2 Band Badger
20211224_115208.jpg
Sat 25
Brush Yaqi 26mm Rainbow
20211225_095748.jpg
Sun 26
Brush Yaqi 24mm Mojito 2 Band Badger - Wonderful lather created with the awesome brush...perfect!
20211226_124943.jpg

Enjoying my reknotted Mohawk 5-341 today ...

AM-JKLUkJyQgzCu2ZiOkbJzMcNSciQYhO-XorpOI195pmz-K2vCCTss63qW5Kk3HwcJnXbvBzwafZwjn0w95SUKSpP2eywbBGa5ztaEySwSTn1-zDFye5sMhkIcs7-zDnhMyIDVHxmbwnxmfj9yH1y0a-2kcjw=s800

I don't actually recall what the original knot was, but it was pulled and I managed to secure a large (well, large at the time at 22mm IIRC) PurTech synthetic knot. Again, at the time, any synthetic let alone a choice of synthetic was a scarce thing, but one or two Chinese eBayers were starting to move PurTech.

The manufacturer of PurTech clearly had Muhle Silvertip Fibre in its sights and almost made it! It's a superb synthetic, good backbone without being flicky, flows well, hydrates lather well without dumping all the water in one go and one the face it has just a bit of scritch.

The knot it but one half of a brush ...

The handle is a glorious Art Deco-styled piece, standing reasonably talll amongst its peers, akin to the older "professional" style like the Ever Ready to its right.

AM-JKLXnJU2vT-ROd7WF_1NEPhr4YgusABNojQDfWyYQvN2ooB1iv-ff5O7KgDtAnPLvNlEPV8fpWH89ykhZpkBQ3GUvNi9HdmaxzT1TZJWUT1VBPKJ78_JHeDrj6mc9qVoIaIfysmdQPr5RQhRz7Wfc9rF_Cg=w1200

Another shot?

AM-JKLWrffJbL2RWCLVF0G0pkdTzg4S9oPGqP0VbpHNRNbPp3VjaQtqnIdI8keoWFbuUehFnZPcszH4sFDSzaNCY_sC9b1GTxnsbkdiF7sNv_mNVwD2xNjwGSP3I5kpAMi5__QKDwDJbkXZZ_AZtu7Ogt84ojw=w1200

Of course, you might well recognise this shape ...

PAA found the expired patent and re-released it as the Starcraft. Nice, but not a patch on the original.

phoenix-artisan-accoutrements-starcraft-synthetic-shaving-brush-261182_1024x1024.jpg

AM-JKLUkJyQgzCu2ZiOkbJzMcNSciQYhO-XorpOI195pmz-K2vCCTss63qW5Kk3HwcJnXbvBzwafZwjn0w95SUKSpP2eywbBGa5ztaEySwSTn1-zDFye5sMhkIcs7-zDnhMyIDVHxmbwnxmfj9yH1y0a-2kcjw=s800

I don't actually recall what the original knot was, but it was pulled and I managed to secure a large (well, large at the time at 22mm IIRC) PurTech synthetic knot. Again, at the time, any synthetic let alone a choice of synthetic was a scarce thing, but one or two Chinese eBayers were starting to move PurTech.

The manufacturer of PurTech clearly had Muhle Silvertip Fibre in its sights and almost made it! It's a superb synthetic, good backbone without being flicky, flows well, hydrates lather well without dumping all the water in one go and one the face it has just a bit of scritch.

The handle is a glorious Art Deco-styled piece, standing reasonably talll amongst its peers, akin to the older "professional" style like the Ever Ready to its right.

AM-JKLXnJU2vT-ROd7WF_1NEPhr4YgusABNojQDfWyYQvN2ooB1iv-ff5O7KgDtAnPLvNlEPV8fpWH89ykhZpkBQ3GUvNi9HdmaxzT1TZJWUT1VBPKJ78_JHeDrj6mc9qVoIaIfysmdQPr5RQhRz7Wfc9rF_Cg=w1200

Another shot?

AM-JKLWrffJbL2RWCLVF0G0pkdTzg4S9oPGqP0VbpHNRNbPp3VjaQtqnIdI8keoWFbuUehFnZPcszH4sFDSzaNCY_sC9b1GTxnsbkdiF7sNv_mNVwD2xNjwGSP3I5kpAMi5__QKDwDJbkXZZ_AZtu7Ogt84ojw=w1200

PAA found the expired patent and re-released it as the Starcraft. Nice, but not a patch on the original.

phoenix-artisan-accoutrements-starcraft-synthetic-shaving-brush-261182_1024x1024.jpg
Would be Class re noted in Boar

Another shot?

"Mohawk 5-341

Canadian made and usually with a bristle knot, this Mohawk has been re-knotted with Purtech synthetic at 24mm. It's a big brush with a good bloom, comfortable in the hand and sure when lathering. Lovely fluted base.

One of my favourite brushes ..."

Internet pic.

vintage-mohawk-shaving-brush-made_1_7b8b0a545b1cb4ecf501ffdc1aa7cdd8_large.jpg

Last edited:
Boar is 100% my favourite brush,
i even like breaking them in and i’m more than happy to be scritchy.
Saying that i do have some cracking Badger & Synthetics which i know your not keen
I have one badger that is very nice, but there is no scritch, it's a two band and nice and firm and full but it's got soft tips and is just boring to use. I want boar not boring. :rolleyes: :p

Another shot?

Nice example of a hard to find handle. (y)

Back
Top Bottom