BritishHall

He just dropped off. I had a few bits on back order , and he just kept promising to dispatch and missing each date. In the end i just stopped asking and left him to it. That was 3 months ago now :shock:

antdad said:
Look chaps I generally kept my own council concerning BH. Many of us have ordered from him via but having spoke to him at length when I was after a brush he proceeded to tell me about his "strategy" for his business.
Well to be kind it was he who needed to convince himself and I told Hando as much.
Launching websites, shaving days opened by royalty, moving offices...well you can make you're own mind up about that but the site hasn't moved for weeks and just looks like a home job and according to you guys he is not answering his messages.
Just preceed with caution.

Hi Antdad,

I had a look at his site and saw that it was made with Joomla ( I recognize it as this is the same program we make our site in) But this thing about "Homemade". Yes, Joomla is written for those that want to start their webshop cost-effective. You won't easily get a flashy site (not with limited knowledge about the software anyway) or a site where your purchasing and paying is handled in the most sophisticated way but everything works and it's for free! Do you have an idea how many jars , soaps, bricks, razors, blades or whatever you have to sell, before you can pay some guy who's copying his previous project to your shaving project?

I see some very nice sites where everything moves and turns and the pictures are great, but when I then look at the prices, I know where the money has to go. Ofcourse I don't know about BritishHall, but seeing that he was also on Joomla, I assume that he was also trying to be not too expensive.

It's strange that this "Homemade" thing is actually something most here would be looking for in the real world (homemade soaps, little old shops that carry those old razors, hard to find creams that noone seems to sell anymore), but when it's the Internet, it has to be fast, big and smooth!

Well, I think that the only shops to survive in times as these, are those that have used free software and do it all themselves, including administration, weighing, splitting up cakes for customers and taking the packages to the post-office themselves. As a matter of fact, I think that those that think that they can start out by paying big time for their site, for the software, for the provider and for someone who does the administration and for the bank and for the chamber of commerce etc. etc., will soon see that it just doesn't work like that. Unless ofcourse you can ask € 8,95 for the Proraso 150 ml tub.

So to all those that think that these homemade shops can't be for real: I don't think that's true.

FWIW,

Eric

What you say may well be true of many startup webshops - however I think anyone that ever spoke to BH was fed this massive long marketing spiel when we knew what we were calling to buy... and like most marketingspeak it has a high content of bovine excrement.... setting up HQ in west central London can't have been exactly conducive to business survival (I'm not saying all startups should set up shop in riot-torn suburbs, far from it - but I'm sure there are better places to setup than WC1 for such enterprises).

TuttoItaliaOnline said:
antdad said:
Look chaps I generally kept my own council concerning BH. Many of us have ordered from him via but having spoke to him at length when I was after a brush he proceeded to tell me about his "strategy" for his business.
Well to be kind it was he who needed to convince himself and I told Hando as much.
Launching websites, shaving days opened by royalty, moving offices...well you can make you're own mind up about that but the site hasn't moved for weeks and just looks like a home job and according to you guys he is not answering his messages.
Just preceed with caution.

Hi Antdad,

I had a look at his site and saw that it was made with Joomla ( I recognize it as this is the same program we make our site in) But this thing about "Homemade". Yes, Joomla is written for those that want to start their webshop cost-effective. You won't easily get a flashy site (not with limited knowledge about the software anyway) or a site where your purchasing and paying is handled in the most sophisticated way but everything works and it's for free! Do you have an idea how many jars , soaps, bricks, razors, blades or whatever you have to sell, before you can pay some guy who's copying his previous project to your shaving project?

I see some very nice sites where everything moves and turns and the pictures are great, but when I then look at the prices, I know where the money has to go. Ofcourse I don't know about BritishHall, but seeing that he was also on Joomla, I assume that he was also trying to be not too expensive.

It's strange that this "Homemade" thing is actually something most here would be looking for in the real world (homemade soaps, little old shops that carry those old razors, hard to find creams that noone seems to sell anymore), but when it's the Internet, it has to be fast, big and smooth!

Well, I think that the only shops to survive in times as these, are those that have used free software and do it all themselves, including administration, weighing, splitting up cakes for customers and taking the packages to the post-office themselves. As a matter of fact, I think that those that think that they can start out by paying big time for their site, for the software, for the provider and for someone who does the administration and for the bank and for the chamber of commerce etc. etc., will soon see that it just doesn't work like that. Unless ofcourse you can ask € 8,95 for the Proraso 150 ml tub.

So to all those that think that these homemade shops can't be for real: I don't think that's true.

FWIW,

Eric

Hi Eric

It seems you have taken my use of "home job" as a personal insult to all on line business start up's including your own, it was not meant that way but you are also unaware of the full context in which that post was written. I do recall editing some element's of that post so as not to cause offence (clearly unsuccessfully) but at the the time (July 09) British Hall was attempting to create a site using very different web software. BH made some bold claims about having the site "professionally" designed and launched within a few weeks as well as setting up a London HQ and organising shaving events, very impressive but none of it materialised so I used that term in relation to how the site looked at the time.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=440&p=4439#p4439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=440&p=4439#p4439</a><!-- l -->

Good luck with your venture.

Hi Antdad,

In no way did I consider your post as a personal insult. If the way I describe things in English has caused you and others to think so, then I'm really sorry. Given the extra info and the old thread, I totally understand where you and others come from. The only reason why I posted is that I saw what used to be his site and the homemade thing. Clearly, in his case it must have been only words and nothing to follow up. But there is ofcourse some personal interest in conveying that these small internet-ventures can do anything the bigger webshops can, but cheaper.

But once more, I'm sorry to have given this impression. I always admire the way you guys describe things in such an indirect but nevertheless clear way. If I'm longer on this forum I might be able to to do that too. As for now, my vocabulary doesn't allow for the subtle differences but do understand that I read this and other threads with much pleasure!

Stay Alive!,

Eric

No need to apologise.

Your understanding is perfectly fine Eric, this thread was updated 6 months later and things are now not what they seemed to be, I'm fairly certain though that the BH website will remain as it is, dormant.

Back
Top Bottom