Brass black tarnishing

They’ve all been moved out now. It’s odd and likely the foil as the Hone has been stored in the same place for a year or so with no issues at all. The HC&C is relatively new so I’m guessing it’s something to do with the metal reactions there.

Lots of sound advice given, Lee.
It looks like the soaking has done half the work already.
I suspect Brasso or similar will bring it up a treat.
I'm sure your mother in law will have a cavernous cupboard full of polishing products that will bring it up better than new!

I also keep a few razors in the bathroom cabinet, but never seen a metal reaction like yours have displayed. I strongly suspect your Stando razor was indeed affected by the gold foil soap wrapper as alluded to by @Boycie83 - possibly exaggerated by moisture in the bathroom?

Don't forget to post some post polishing pics when you get it back.

P

They’ve all been moved out now. It’s odd and likely the foil as the Hone has been stored in the same place for a year or so with no issues at all. The HC&C is relatively new so I’m guessing it’s something to do with the metal reactions there.
Can you remove the foil film or has it bonded on?

If it were my razor, I would use 0000 grade stainless steel wool (available at hardware stores) dipped in Brasso, and gently buff the surface.
That steel wool grade is very fine, and shouldn't scratch; it also works well with the Brasso. I use this for my brass objects.
Remember to shake the can of Brasso well before use, to distribute the micro-abrasives within the carrier fluid.

15D19F40-F32C-49B0-AA9B-476A0467FAAC.jpegF998AD37-083F-4E51-9760-042A2C53A6EC.jpeg7B659C87-6CA3-4021-8B9D-339104E6AD3A.jpeg4D41FB4A-9F05-4EC4-8343-69A4E342F6C8.jpegC7527068-9F36-4DB3-80DF-6AC4ACB9722E.jpeg
And it’s gone, the mother in law has worked her magic. Only a slight patina mark here or there and the top is a bit over worked maybe in places but a significant improvement and once the patina comes back I doubt I’ll see the top ‘lines’ if I do I’ll polish myself until I’m happy with it. It’s as good as it probably could be given the way it had reacted and marked beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom