Brass black tarnishing

LeeMaz

Supporter
Supporter
image.jpgimage.jpgSo I’ve woken up today to set up my normal morning shave and found my beloved Stando with what looks like a massive black ink stain covering it. It’s been stored in the bathroom cabinet and been fine since I had it there. It’s beyond normal tarnishing. My Hone had something similar but milder happen last week. I only store soaps and balm and razors in there so am at a loss to why it’s turned so bad relatively quickly. It was on top of a standard soap tub and a gold paper foil wrapped soap from HC&C. Any advice to take it back to its former glory. It’s beyond a toothpaste polish! It’ll be stored in the bedroom from now on!

I'm no expert but could it be the gold foil wrap? Assuming it's real gold, from the internet:

If brass is placed in contact with a more noble metal such as silver or gold in such an environment, the brass will corrode galvanically.
That’s seems a likely reason unfortunately. You live and learn. Does anyone know if brasso is too strong/abrasive or baking soda a better solution?

Looking at the photo there appears to a shine and a solid finish on the base plate, that strikes me that a coating of some type has been applied and not the raw brass patina. I would contact Stando initially and then try lemon juice, Brasso...

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any physically obvious corrosive metal damage like raised rust spots in other metals, and it's just 'surface' damage. It's just a shame it's hit my two favourite razors, thankfully the Hone to a lesser extent.

Back
Top Bottom