Blade Review Spreadsheet

Thanks Alex. It'd be great if there were some modern Wilkies that are good. If there are any on my spreadsheet you'd like to try let me know and I'll send you some if I have any

A thoroughly informative spreadsheet for which this newbie finds very informative indeed. Many thanks. A few points.
None of the light blue blades are in production, which makes the Personna lab blue/med prep, Rapira swedish supersteel & Timor solingen the "best" that are still in production. Are the two personnas not two different blades ?
I've tried the med preps and like them a lot. I also like the Personna "reds" too and am awaiting some Rapira Swedish Supersteels that cost next to nothing to arrive from Russia once the royal mail pull their finger out, since they got to the UK in 6 days but i'm still waiting for them to arrive 5 days later. The only other blades i'd like to try are Gillette Silver Blues which i've already got and some Polsilver Super Iridiums, which I haven't. The problem with this "real" shaving lark is that the more I read, the more it costs me. Ho-hum.

Glad you find the spreadsheet useful. In production is a best guess based on observed availability of the blades (on ebay and through forum posts here).

There are quite a few Personna blades on the market now and in the past and some have recently been repackaged, so the Personna Reds no longer have red packaging and the lab blues/med preps have had a slight outer box redesign recently and the wrappers changed from blue Personna branded to plain white. Recently there were posts on here about whether they were the same blades following the cosmetic changes.

Still some arguments about what differentiates a med prep from a lab blue, and these aren't necessarily the 'manufacturer' names for the products, either, which all conspires to confuse and befuddle. It's not an exact science, and the spreadsheet certainly isn't scientific at all, but I've put what I have tried to offer my own opinions on a best endeavours basis.

P.S. I have used the Timors only a few times and a few years apart; more recent use in a few different razors have led me to the conclusion that they are, IMHO, shite. The spread sheet will be updated accordingly!

With regard to cost - it can be fun experimenting but you might not find any better blades if you like the Rapira Swedish super steel and carry on with the excellent Polsilver and Personna lab blues, if you want only blades still in production. Hope that helps!

Is the Polsilver SI no longer in production? My fave blade and seems plentiful on t'bay. The Iridium Super, on the other hand, seems to have disappeared yet is shown as in production.
Brilliant piece of work btw, an invaluable resource for the newbie.

Taipan said:
Is the Polsilver SI no longer in production? My fave blade and seems plentiful on t'bay. The Iridium Super, on the other hand, seems to have disappeared yet is shown as in production.
Brilliant piece of work btw, an invaluable resource for the newbie.

You can still get Polsilver Super iridium on eBay. Just do NOT get them from a certain UK vendor they charge considerably more than the £12 I pay per 100.
Look around, but the cheapest is Gemstone Shaving. You can get them from Bulgaria but they're still expensive.

Very very useful to all members I'm sure I've only tried 2 blades and 2 shaves so can clearly see this is years of research and £Â£ that have gone into making this reference for all of us let alone the time, thank you for doing it I've bookmarked it and will be referring to it as I try more blades to see if I draw the same conclusion if I do then it should help with further purchases

Back
Top Bottom