Blade Review Spreadsheet

Compare/contrast with: https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/ < there are some real eye-openers here.
Although this is well meaning, most reviews like this are just amazon adverts.(even when they have correct information) I have noticed it quite often now it's quite hard to gat an unbiased view without amazon links everwhere.
Ps this is not a dig at anybody, it's just an observation. (y) :)

I always have a look at reviews before I try a new blade but I guess different people like different blades. Bought 100 Dorco 301 blades about a couple of years ago, tried a couple and didn't think much of them. Thought I'd have a sort out the other night and they were at the back of the cupboard, thought I'd try one just to see how bad they are. Well I was quite surprised, wasn't such a bad shave after all same for the Personna blades as well. Anyway I've got enough blades to last me until October 2023!! So not buying anymore until then. Might get 50 Bic blades though!!

I always have a look at reviews before I try a new blade but I guess different people like different blades. Bought 100 Dorco 301 blades about a couple of years ago, tried a couple and didn't think much of them. Thought I'd have a sort out the other night and they were at the back of the cupboard, thought I'd try one just to see how bad they are. Well I was quite surprised, wasn't such a bad shave after all same for the Personna blades as well. Anyway I've got enough blades to last me until October 2023!! So not buying anymore until then. Might get 50 Bic blades though!!
Try Oct 2123 as most users on here seem to have stocks of blades to last. (y) Me included

Hi all.
After a brief sojourn (about 6 or 7 years!) I have added a new review to the blade spreadsheet - a Gillette Platinum variant that comes in a blue cardboard pack with white writing on, but mounted on a blister card almost exactly like that found on packs from the 1990s. It even has the simple black product outlines of other products in the range from that time, but has a 2017 date on the back.
This can be found on row 47 currently, but that will change as other blades get added.

It's a very smooth blade but not quite as sharp in my opinion as Gillette Platinums from the 1960s and 70s. It's probably more akin to the Super Silvers of that time.

I got these off ebay but the seller also has a website where they are a little cheaper.
Having only recently returned to the fore I'm not sure the rules about posting links, so I won't. I'm also not affiliated in any way and bought these with my own money out of my own curiosity/obsessiveness.

PXL_20221218_132452838.jpgPXL_20221222_105246289.jpgPXL_20221222_114327367.jpg

Finally, I've added a few more entries of some blades I've ordered which haven't arrived yet. I'll be doing scores for these in due course:
  • Admiral (I know nothing about these. Look old to me, no outer packaging)
  • Cromax stainless (the brand name isn't even in the description, so they must be good!)
  • Pro 500 Super Platinum (with a name like that how could I not!)
  • Treet Seven Days Platinum (since they seem to be popular with some here and I like the Treet Platinum)

Does anyone know if the Wilkinson Swords at the bottom of the list (whites?) can still be found? Tried searching on Google but not sure I'm looking at the right blades...

Does anyone know if the Wilkinson Swords at the bottom of the list (whites?) can still be found? Tried searching on Google but not sure I'm looking at the right blades...

No. They're vintage.

s-l300.jpg

Wilkinson Sword are now made in Germany.

I believe they stopped being made around 1999 or 2000. I did find some in a local chemist about ten years ago, but even then they weren't cheap at £1.95 for 5 and no multi-buy discount. It was quite unusual to find them.

Modern German ones usually have the "5" at the bottom of the Wilkinson Sword logo, but I haven't seen enough of either type to know if this is a sure-fire way to tell them apart if you don't have the outer packagaing which will state EU or Solingen. They can also have black plastic dispensers but again this is just anecdotal.

Placeholders for some Indian blades added, courtesy of donnie_arko, and reviews of Astra Keramik and Ri-Mei Super Platinum (black) added.
Boots Super Stainless (1970s) is a work in progress till I know how many shaves I can comfortably get out of a blade.

Back
Top Bottom