Blackland Adjustable DE Razor

I got mine for £300 delivered from Maggard Razors with no custom fees.

It’s £320 from Slick Boys.

I think when there was Black Friday you could get it for around £270 @Boycie83 would know best on this.
Can you strip the razor down completely for cleaning or is the adjustment mechanism put together in such a way where you can't strip it down completely?

Paul.

Thank you, that's great.
I like a razor that can be taken apart for a proper cleaning.
Would you like to give me your thoughts on this razor botb good and bad?

Paul.
I had some thoughts about it here:- https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...stable-razor-review-thread.57639/#post-900878

and some further on in the thread.

I haven't changed my mind about it since, but the two things which may influence a choice are the tiny window for the adjustment, and the level of "aggression" or otherwise.

The former doesn't bother me, as I tend to adjust a razor before shaving to suit blade, soap and all the other factors, and don't mess with it during a session. A little bit of cleaning of the window/adjustment numbers keeps them legible.

After a few tries to match up razor, best blade(s) for it and so on, I think I can get a decent shave out of any razor (except that Ikon Tech and the Futur). The Muramasa goes from 1 to 5 (low to high), and I'm generally on 4 or 5. On either, I can get a perfect, comfortable 2-pass shave. In my ideal world, it would start at 2, and go a step above 5, but that's just me, and I don't suppose it would alter its shaving ability. That said, it's definitely not a razor for the chap, who shaves with a tin lid and has nails for breakfast.

The adjustment is slightly idiosyncratic, if you're used to turning anticlockwise to go "down", as this does the opposite. The adjustment is also quite stiff. I tend not to screw this or any other handle in bar-tight, and sometimes the head will unwind from the handle as I adjust. This is easily dealt with by gripping the ends of the head, where the blade tabs are anyway covered, whilst twiddling the adjuster. Otherwise, tighten it up as much as possible and this doesn't happen, but over-tightening is, in my view, undesirable, even if the razor is built strong enough to withstand it.

My modern adjustables currently in the "ready locker" are the Ambassador, Konsul, Pearl and this one, and I find myself reaching for it more often than the other three. I like it very much in every way, and, having thought long and hard about springing a fair-sized wedge for it, I haven't been disappointed.

I had some thoughts about it here:- https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...stable-razor-review-thread.57639/#post-900878

and some further on in the thread.

I haven't changed my mind about it since, but the two things which may influence a choice are the tiny window for the adjustment, and the level of "aggression" or otherwise.

The former doesn't bother me, as I tend to adjust a razor before shaving to suit blade, soap and all the other factors, and don't mess with it during a session. A little bit of cleaning of the window/adjustment numbers keeps them legible.

After a few tries to match up razor, best blade(s) for it and so on, I think I can get a decent shave out of any razor (except that Ikon Tech and the Futur). The Muramasa goes from 1 to 5 (low to high), and I'm generally on 4 or 5. On either, I can get a perfect, comfortable 2-pass shave. In my ideal world, it would start at 2, and go a step above 5, but that's just me, and I don't suppose it would alter its shaving ability. That said, it's definitely not a razor for the chap, who shaves with a tin lid and has nails for breakfast.

The adjustment is slightly idiosyncratic, if you're used to turning anticlockwise to go "down", as this does the opposite. The adjustment is also quite stiff. I tend not to screw this or any other handle in bar-tight, and sometimes the head will unwind from the handle as I adjust. This is easily dealt with by gripping the ends of the head, where the blade tabs are anyway covered, whilst twiddling the adjuster. Otherwise, tighten it up as much as possible and this doesn't happen, but over-tightening is, in my view, undesirable, even if the razor is built strong enough to withstand it.

My modern adjustables currently in the "ready locker" are the Ambassador, Konsul, Pearl and this one, and I find myself reaching for it more often than the other three. I like it very much in every way, and, having thought long and hard about springing a fair-sized wedge for it, I haven't been disappointed.
Thank you very much indeed. It's always good to hear from someone who has more than the one adjustable razor.

Cheers,

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom