Best product to use after shaving, for sensitive skin?

I've sensitive skin and after trying splashes and all sorts of balms the two for me are, Thayers unscented witch Hazel and boots unscented moisturiser, both worth a first try as both relatively cheap.

I also had some success with boots witchhazel but wasn't too found of the smell.

I'll echo what others said, it's probabily not sensitive skin but poor technique the above products will help take aftershave products out the equation for a while.

i think im one of the few here that genuinely found they do have purely sensitive skin. It takes almost nothing to irritate mine, and even a gentle with the grain pass can sometimes lead to redness. With time and effort, as well as good cream and blade selection ive managed to get shaves that result in minimal irritation. Following them i do a few things depending on mood:

-a splash of witch hazel, it doesnt really sting, leaves my skin feeling refreshed and soothed. I use this stuff, and it works wonders:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRICTLY-PROFESSIONAL-WITCH-HAZEL-500ML/dp/B003AY5I6O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1297602506&sr=8-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/STRICTLY-PROFES ... 506&sr=8-5</a><!-- m -->

i follow this up (once dry) with a small amount of moisturising cream. This is for days when my skin feels particularly sensitive. It tends to work well and leaves me feeling comfortable.

-on days where ive left it a few days before shaving, i usually come out of it far less irritated than if i try to shave daily, as a result i can usually afford to be a bit more exotic with the post shave routine, I find that a quick splash of TOBS aftershave (eton college or st james both work well) leaves the skin feeling good. Due to the drying effect though, i soon apply a moisturiser to stop my skin feeling too tight.

see.. i find after a close shave, that nivea ASB (even the white sensitive stuff) stings and irritates me like hell. Its obviously not THAT sensitive. I find that using an unscented moisturiser (e.g. simple for men) does a far better job of soothing without irritating.

I agree shrink the Nivea ASB causes me problems, the witch Hazel you recommended, does it have a any scent? I'm currently using the Thayers unscented.

it has very little scent... it does have a classic witch hazel scent, but its unoffensive, and doesnt last beyond the application.

i put a few drips of TOBS st james aftershave in it, and it smells fine now. You can also use things like rose oil, lavender etc to fragrance it if need be. it never bothered me enough, not at a few quid for 500ml.

I have a dry skin although not particularly sensitive i.e. I get no reactions (and never have) to the shaving process. I do however recommend small amounts of E45 cream applied to a damp skin for a reaction-free post-shave treatment.

For years, when hacking my face with a Sensor Excel or a Mach 3, I've used a small amount of aqueous cream, which doesn't sting and is pretty moisturising. I would have thought it would be fine when DE shaving. You can get a 500g tub for about £5 from most chemists, and lasts for ages. Of course, you can get smaller sizes if you want ;)

Paul

3030P said:
For years, when hacking my face with a Sensor Excel or a Mach 3, I've used a small amount of aqueous cream, which doesn't sting and is pretty moisturising. I would have thought it would be fine when DE shaving. You can get a 500g tub for about £5 from most chemists, and lasts for ages. Of course, you can get smaller sizes if you want ;)

Paul

Good stuff that.

Also, if you're so inclined, a thin layer of that before an alcohol splash will take some of the bite out.

Back
Top Bottom