Best product to use after shaving, for sensitive skin?

First let me say hello, I am very new (<1wk) to DE shaving so may pester you all with some questions over the coming months, so apologies in advance!

Anyway, I was wondering what the best product to use after shaving is, for quite sensitive skin prone to spots/rash? At the moment I shave, wash off excess soap and then use a moisturiser. I worry however that the moisturiser could work to clog pores and cause small spots. Is this an unfounded fear? Hopefully as my technique gets better my skin will be less irritated after shaving!

Thanks!

Hi Poppa, welcome to TSR! There are loads of post-shave products available but one relatively cheap one that is readily available is Nivea ASB which gets quite a few thumbs up. There is a thread going at the moment for Neals Yard stuff which is highly regarded. If you want something a bit special then one of our members, Henk, makes his own. You can use the PM button to contact him about this.

PS Many chaps join TSR and learn how to get a better shave then discover that what they thought was sensitive skin was actually brought on by using the wrong products or poor technique. DE shaving was the solution to my in-grown hairs for example. I hope you find a way to improve your skin.

Welcome to the forum!

I used to think I had sensitive skin, but then realised it was down to poor shaving tools and technique. For years aftershaves were a no no for me, but when I started using a DE razor and improving my technique then I actually found that using an aftershave improved my skin.

I can't recommend an aftershave specifically for sensitive skin personally, although I find my Proraso quite good for that kind of thing. Maybe consider a balm to start with, as especially at this time of year you'll probably need some moisture putting back after the shave.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of advice coming your way shortly!

Old Spice. Honestly.

It'll sting like buggery when you first put it on, but I found that that short, sharp, shock was better then a prolonged irritation which is what I was getting before when using balms.

What everyone else has said +100, might not be sensitive skin just technique at the moment.
If I've had a particularly bad shave then I always pick up my Proraso balm (not the pre-post stuff), it contains witch-hazel and is very lightly cooling.
For cheap stuff go to home bargains if it's near you and get some Nivea Sensitive ASB and Real Shaving Co. balm, at this store they are a lot cheaper!
Also try One Planet ASB from ASDA, good stuff, 100% natural, full of oils and is very cooling. But it can be quite greasy and the scent is different (i.e. not bad but not pleasant and tends to stick around). But I still use it! To get rid of the scent and greasiness I put on an aftershave like Old Spice of Old Spice White Water.

Hope this helps!
Whisp
:D

I never have much luck with the alcohol AS Splashes - they just burn like mad and make my skin red for a couple of hours afterwards. It should be noted that I aim for BBS so three passes plus touch ups. Maybe I'm going too close.

I'd love to try the non-alcohol splashes like Proraso. I have the balm/milk and it's pretty good, but not really that much better than the Nivea Sensitive, which is much cheaper. What I like about the Proraso balm is that it barely has a scent, so does not interfere with any cologne you wish to use afterwards. The Nivea Sensitive, unlike a lot of "sensitive" products, does have a fairly strong scent that lingers. If they'd get rid of that it'd be my favourite, as it's very effective.

I went through a phase of using Men-U face wash and moisturiser. They are packaged really well, last a long time, and feel great when using them. However, in the winter months I find them rather drying, and have to apply another moisturiser after applying the Men-U one, which seems a bit silly.

John

I echo others above, good technique and a good blade in a good DE razor all equal no irritation. I can now shave twice a day (could only manage once, 5 days a week with cartridges) and I can use (and enjoy) an aftershave splash for the first time in years. Bay rum, Speick, I'll splash it all on!

I still put a fairly neutral moisturiser on sometimes, I use vaseline. (The moisturiser, not the petroleum jelly!)

Whatever you decide to do, just try and restrict yourself to 1 change at a time.

By changing lots of things at once whether it be products / technique / whatever, it will just take it longer for you to identify what it is exactly that does or does not work for you.

End of the day, although we are all different, it's not by much.

Well, apart from a couple of posters :? . But I won't mention names....... :|

moodymick said:
Whatever you decide to do, just try and restrict yourself to 1 change at a time.

Agreed,

If you change say soap/cream and blade and you have a bad shave, it will be harder to pinpoint what is causing it for you. I had awful shaves for almost 6 months off and on. Some of the results can be seen on this site but usually it all boiled down to one thing.....

Never forget the basics!

i.e. blade angle, zero pressure, beard mapping etc.

All the soaps/blades (to an extent)/brushes and razors in the world wont make a difference if you're hacking away at your face against the grain with a total lack of patience

Hi Poppa. Welcome.

I won't recommend a specific product, there's lots of stuff out there for you to try.

Moisturiser on its own is usually fine though. After a warm water rinse, do a cold water rinse (and don't skimp on the cold water) before applying your moisturiser.

I agree with everyone!
Nivea is cheap and good.
OS is lovely too.

And you probably don't have sensitive skin!

So yeah.. try what has bee said :D

P.s. My skin is difficult like yours, and I use the above product.
I also like Truefit & Hill ASB, but they're not cheap.

And: Welcome!

Max

Hi Poppa, my own "must have" shave product is Trumper's Skin food ; which is a glycerine based liquid I use before and after shaving. It's certainly not the cheapest, however I need to use so little and it's had such a beneficial effect at rehydrating and soothing my skin it's about the one single shave item I can't do without. Can I also mentyion in passing Professor Blighty's soap, which I tried for the first time yesterday & left a really smooth & soothed feeling when I rinsed my face after shaving.

JohnnyO. :geek:

Hello Poppa! What works for me is a high alcohol splash, and that's it. However, there are other factors: decent preparation, high quality soap, thorough rinsing, and the right razor and blade. And technique of course. The most troublesome bit is the blade, and when you find the right one it's well worth buying a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom