Best New DE razors: Merkur, Jagger, ???

For budget I am quite taken with the Egyptian lord razors. There seem to be three models: the L5 unit is a blatant rip off of a Alu tech with a modern longer handle. The high end L6 units, (by high end I mean 8 quid), are basically clone of a muhle head with a steel long handle, the last model, the Lord smart, bridges the price gap combining a plastic handle with a muhle type head.

Wish I had started with one of those rather than that Parker 91r. Shaving with that is like stuffing my face in a food processor.

Another vote for the 34c; I like the fact that it trains you to pay careful attention to angle and pressure. If I come back to it from a few shaves with my Slim, I can get sloppy and the Merkur soon punishes that.

From comments on the forum over the years I have formed the opinions that the following are good razors
- Edwin Jagger/Muhle head
- Merkur 34c & 38c
- Merkur Futur, although weight and the fact its adjustable may make it a poor choice as a 1st razor
- Merkur Progress, but some don't like the cheap plastic knob and are too tempted to play with the adjustmens
- Feather, Ikon, Goodfella and Pils are all good but pricey

More importantly is there are a list of "bad" razors?

MaleGroomingNews.com said:
Thinking of getting a Merkur Futur, is this a good one for an (absolute) beginner?

By reputation, absolutely not. Whilst new razors are definitely not my thing, I can say with some certainty that an adjustable one is best left for later; furthermore the Futur is widely regarded as very aggressive indeed at all but the very lowest settings.

He's right. Buy one, I did!
You need something big enough to keep on a 'knife rest'! Even if you don't end up liking it; it's impressive just to have out in your bathroom!!

I don't know about "the best" new DE razor but one I particularly like is my Goodfella razor, lovely size to use, it does have quite a narrow "sweet spot" angle but I never get any cuts or nicks.

MaleGroomingNews.com said:
Thinking of getting a Merkur Futur, is this a good one for an (absolute) beginner?

It's what I (re)started on a few years ago now.
The perceived wisdom is that it's not a "beginner's razor" but if you set it at "1" to begin with you'll be fine. I like it but an EJ DE87 (or similar) is probably easier to use and you're less likey to nick yourself.

Starting from scratch with a DE?

Find an iKon standard (waits for the laughter to stop).

Its a very forgiving razor, considered by many to be rather mild and you would absolutely get your money back when you come to sell. Of course once you have tried it you will realise its not really much more than a 1940's tech with a bit of weight, so for a lot less money you could buy a 1940's tech and lob on a custom handle for the added weight. Me? I have tried a few moderns and keep going back to the vintage ones for daily use.

Father Ted. Interesting that you said that about the Ikon. I notice that I can buy a Ikon bulldog handle. I was thing about using it on my muhle R41. Having had one, what do you think of the idea?

If I were starting again from scratch and knowing what I know now - I would buy the very best early acid etched tech head I could and buy a bull mastiff handle from Cooncat Bob.
Its the right length, its the right weight and it looks pretty damn sexy too.

That said, if you want the stainless steel handle, and the nice acid etched iKon logo get an iKon handle (though for the cost of the iKon handle alone - about $55 - Im pretty sure you can get the above named set up).

Myself? I have progressed on from the daily use of the super heavy tech to using an adjustable. Dont get me wrong, it comes out now and again - it did this morning and I enjoyed the shave and enjoyed the result.
962044c6.jpg

FRANKENRAZOR

Somewhere someone has commented that jumping straight in to an adjustable is not a good move - I can concur - in my early DE days I bought a fatboy and we didnt get on, in fact for a time I went back to the Mach3.
I recently bought another and we still dont get on, but my Fat came with a Slim and me and the slim are getting along like a house on fire. Its all horses for courses and YMMV

It's interesting hearing about the Ikon and Cooncat Bob handles. I do like a heavy, chunky DE, and have been considering an Ikon handle as they are also compatible with modern EJ and Merkur heads.

Back
Top Bottom