Best New DE razors: Merkur, Jagger, ???

Rev-O said:
Hi All,

What's the best new DE razor: a Merkur, an Edwin Jagger, or what???

Cheers

Ollie

define "best" :icon_rolleyes: - are you looking for build quality, level of finish, or shaving performance?

Given you can usually sell a DE on for pretty close to the purchase price on here or other places, you won't take much of a hit whichever one you choose, if you end up not liking it.

really the only way to know this is try them on your face.

Alternatively, acquire one of each to be certain:icon_razz:

I've just bought an EJ89 off Amazon for an Uncle that cost £16.50, I think I prefer my lined version so I wish I'd opted for that for an extra three quid or so.

I have used EJ87 and the Merkurs 37C (Slant), 11C (Comb) and 34C (HD). All good razors but the best I've ever used ... by a country mile ... is the Merkur Progress.

Heavy and chunky, like me, and I can make it more agressive as the blade dulls which means I'm getting a comfortable 14 days from each and every blade I use.

Thanks all.

Keep 'em coming.

Hi All,

A friend of my brother co-edits The Chap magazine and after I bored him senseless about the tallow content of various soaps he asked me to write a piece about choosing a shaving brush. There was a small payment which my wife sent to charity (Tearfund, I believe) so I thought it well worth doing.

He'd now like a short piece on choosing a DE razor. Vintage stuff is easy: I could wax lyrical about Rockets all day BUT new stuff is trickier.

Cheers

Ollie

Edwin Jaggers have famously good finish, they look superb and they fit together beautifully, they're a bit mild for my liking but they're great value for what you're getting.
If it's a razor that's for shaving rather than for displaying then I believe that there is no better tool than a Merkur. Vinny is right that the progress is an impressive machine but my favourite Merkur has been the celebrated 34C HD, I've never held a razor with better balance, weight and feel in the hand.

Not sure how the copyright thing works but I've emailed you a scan of my last one.

The thing to do is to rush out and buy a copy.

Or two.

Really I'm just canvassing opinions on here - I have a draft of the article but thought I'd throw it out to the lads at TSR; remember that we're writing for chaps to whom the whole business is new and unknown.

I did see a plastic copy of a flair-tip SuperSpeed in Africa - wish I'd bought it for a laugh. 20p at the local market.

For a razor which will "grow with" the new shaver I'd side with Vinny (not Joe) & go for a Merkur adjustable. Start off at a low setting with a middle of the road blade & it'll take you as aggresive through the years as you fancy going. Failing that a Merkur Slant has a lot of potential & I don't believe it's the aggresive monster it sometimes gets made out to be.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom