Artisan Shaving Soap - Testing...

Many thanks again for the feedback - very helpful ;)

Lipsy - I would be delighted for Mrs Lipsey to use the fizzy soap if she would like to :)

Moodymick - We're braught up to be generous up north you know :lol:. All of my tester bars are a little under normal - sized. I suppose thats just the way I am - rather you thought me too generous than to have you unable to decide from the tiny scrap I chose not to send :shock:

Since a large letter costs the same upto 100g, and since I buy palm by the box, coconut by the case and castor by the jerrycan, I don't see the point in tiny batches, and what I don't send out to testers my Sweetheart has to use ;). Very clean Chap my Sweetheart!!! ;) :lol: :lol: ;)

Moving on...

I got a shaving brush to see fizzy soap for myself - its true, it does "fizz" :lol:. Been lathering up a few other bars I've made before with different oil ratios and I *think* I might be able to improve the lather somewhat. I'll probably reduce the size of the second lot of testers (just a bit) so I can send more samples out :shock: That is, of course, assuming that you might be up for another go... :shave

These southern folks don't understand generosity… As a lapsing northerner (born and bred, but exiled in the south of the country), I know all too well the concept of kindness without strings. These southern folks are always deeply suspicious of this sort of thing. :lol:

I jest, obviously. But I would like to thank you for your kindness – had the soap turned out to be a good 'un for shaving, I would have gladly passed it on. I owe the guys on 'ere a good deal as it is, so it would be the least I could do. As it is, I'll let the missus have a go on the soap – I have little doubt that she'll love it.

Thanks,

Lipsy

i tried mine out last night, the lather looked promising but no matter what i tried it had alot of air bubbles in it and just lacked something, i used it as a normal face soap and it was lovely, didn't leave my skin dry at all......shame it is not suitable as a shave soap, but with tweaks.....who knows.........if there are "Tweaked" testers, i will be more than happy to try

oh and by the way................VERY GENEROUS SAMPLE !!!

Steve :D :D ;)

artisansoap said:
I got a shaving brush to see fizzy soap for myself - its true, it does "fizz" :lol:. Been lathering up a few other bars I've made before with different oil ratios and I *think* I might be able to improve the lather somewhat. I'll probably reduce the size of the second lot of testers (just a bit) so I can send more samples out :shock: That is, of course, assuming that you might be up for another go... :shave

Good to see you've got a brush. Try comparing yours to Palmolive shaving soap and see the difference. As it comes in shaving stick form you may wish to grate it in to a bowl and squish it down before lathering up. It is an excellent performer though the scent isn't to everyone's taste. You have made a great soap (which I intend to finish up in the shower), just not yet a shaving soap. Check out Sharon's (soapalchemist) early posts here and you'll get some clues as to how she changed her recipe and made real improvements. I'm sure if you have the skills and knowledge to make your lovely soap you can turn your hand to a shaving soap.

Thanks again everyone!

I'll get some palmolive shaving soap to compare lather with as soon as I can - thanks for the recommendation PC ;)

I made a fresh batch yesterday, which I have just chopped up into smaller (read stingy-looking) bars so more people can try it out IF I find it lathers better than "Fizzy".

Used a few tricks to reduce the curing time needed as well :D

I was thinking of looking through soapalchemist's previous posts, but decided against for the moment. There is a danger that I would just end up making copies of what she has worked so hard to develop.

Not fair on her, or on me either :shock:

Every soapmaker has their own 'style'. We all create slightly differently, which is what makes hand made soap so special (to me anyway). We might end up with soaps which do essentially the same thing, but will arrive at different formulations by different methods - and I like that :D I hope I have too much respect for fellow soapmakers to blindly copy their work.

Artisan :)

artisansoap said:
Every soapmaker has their own 'style'. We all create slightly differently, which is what makes hand made soap so special (to me anyway). We might end up with soaps which do essentially the same thing, but will arrive at different formulations by different methods - and I like that :D I hope I have too much respect for fellow soapmakers to blindly copy their work.
Not withstanding that, but also most people here like different stuff, every soap is different, if you made the same as Henk or Sharon, there'd be no point, yours might appeal to different people, or different moods. Tastes vary, that's what makes life interesting! :D

Max

I was thinking of looking through soapalchemist's previous posts, but decided against for the moment. There is a danger that I would just end up making copies of what she has worked so hard to develop.

I started from the opposite viewpoint - I read about Sharon's so that I wouldn't make the same type of soap. As she has quite a range of fragrances I think that could be a problem since we both seem to have the same approach to EOs and blending.

Just to echo the others I am afraid. Tried it this morning with the same effect.

There is certainly potential there so please keep up the good work. This is a great shower/bath soap though.

Thanks for your gererosity.

Briallen said:

I started from the opposite viewpoint - I read about Sharon's so that I wouldn't make the same type of soap. As she has quite a range of fragrances I think that could be a problem since we both seem to have the same approach to EOs and blending.

Try a different approach. Just go for the novelty end of the market. Here's a few names off the top of my head. Haven't a clue what they should necessarily smell like:

Special Pie
Wind in the Willows
We Come in Peace
Jungle Juice
Gangsters Paradise
Wet Dog

Let your imagination run riot!!!! :p :p :p

Pig Cat said:
Briallen said:

Try a different approach. Just go for the novelty end of the market. Here's a few names off the top of my head. Haven't a clue what they should necessarily smell like:

Special Pie
Wind in the Willows
We Come in Peace
Jungle Juice
Gangsters Paradise
Wet Dog

Let your imagination run riot!!!! :p :p :p

Trumpers is already taken though ;)

Back
Top Bottom