Artisan Shaving Soap (Mark 4) Testing...

Sorry 49er - all samples were posted on Saturday morning :oops:

You might want to take up Arrowhead on his generous offer - thanks Arrowhead ;)

Artisan :)

Knock at the door whilst having a shave :shave , wife answered, closed the door and shouted up the stairs
"ALAN WHAT THE F~~~ HAVE YOU BEEN BUYING NOW" :cry:
Confused I finished up went downstairs and opened the package and inside was my sample :D had to explain the heer it was a sample and even show her the thread (have spent too much this month :oops: )

Anyway can't test today as I have just shaved but will got it ago starting tomorrow and then leave some feed back

Thank you for the sample :p

Well mine was waiting for me as i got home today,needed a good shave so of we went,did everything my normal way when useing soaps,so sorry to say but very dissapointing :(
Loaded a good amount and also rubbed soap onto chops just to be sure
went to work with brush and created a soapy, rather thin lather which did eventually get there but the problem was it didnt last.Worked soap up again and relathered face but started to get a stinging/burning feeling which i have never had before so washed it straight off and thats about it :? sorry not better news..

Hi Slash - I can only apologise for your discomfort :cry:

Never had that reaction from a tester before. Please don't even consider trying it again. You probably didn't need me to tell you that, I'm just making sure.

The only additions made to this tester was stearic acid and glycerine. I purposefully didn't colour or scent the testers to reduce the potential allergens, but it seems that something in there doesn't agree with you - sorry.

If you don't mind me asking, do you usually have sensitivities to shaving soaps in general? I'm asking because all of the ingredients I used are commonly found in shaving products. It might be useful for both of us to work out what irritates your skin - you so you can avoid it, and me so I know what people may be sensitive to.

The most likely candidates are the stearic or the clay. Do any of the soaps you CAN use contain anything called potassium stearate, sodium stearate or kaolin clay?

I'd really like to get to the bottom of this if you are OK with that.

Hi Artisan ;) This is the first time ive had a problem to be honest,i use mama bears mostly which is glycerine as far as i know and i also use henks which contains clay as far as i know,so not too sure what caused it..i used a good amount and left on after lathering for about 1min to see if lather lasted or not...hope you have better feedback from others and hopefully its just me..cheers slash ;)

I used this tonight, with a 2201, HD Rocket and a Gillette Bleue on it's third and final outing. We also have very hard water here.

I put the puck in a bowl to soak in hot water while I had my shower, and loaded the brush up for the typical time of 30 secs or so. At first the lather seemed a bit wet (a problem I've had before with this soap) but as I worked the lather on my face and it dried the lather improved. It nearly reached the sweet spot but never quite made it!

That said, the second and third passes were fine, the lather was fairly cushioning and protective, and thickened up towards the end. I rarely get a soap right first time so I'll give this another go soon (on the first use of a blade) and see if a drier brush helps. A little bit of irritation but I'll put this down to the blade losing it's edge, and a liberal splash of Olgalla and my skin feels good.

The best version yet in my opinion ;)

Hi Slash. OK - looks like you aren't sesitive to the kaolin if you can use Henk's soap and it contains kaolin - that cuts down the list of suspects ;)

I think Henk's soaps are cream soaps (please forgive me if I have that wrong), in which case I don't think you are sensitive to stearic acid. I may be wrong, since I haven't seen an ingredients list, but I've never attempted to make a cream soap without stearic acid myself - I don't think it would work.

In that case, you may be sensitive to palm oil, coconut oil or castor oil in soaps. If there are any soaps you can use that contain _palmate _cocoate or _castorate, then that could be removed from the list of potential irritants. I DO hope we can figure out what it is that caused your discomfort.

Quattrojames,

Thanks for the speedy review - and I'm glad to see we're still heading in the right direction. If you with your hard water are able to shave with the Mark 4 it tells me it isn't far off :)

I've found that the soap is quicker to lather than previous ones due to the potassium hydroxide in the formulation. Potassium hydroxide is used in making liquid soaps. I personally don't soak the soap, and using a 404 mix brush - get a lather just shaking the brush once before loading up soap - ymmv - and I have soft water.

Thanks again Chaps, this feedback is invaluable ;)

TEST 1

Actually I think mark 4 is a backwards step, :cry:

There was a return to the "fizz" of one of the previous soaps and like Slash I found the lather broke down too fast.

I have lathered with it a couple of times shaved with it once but used the 3.5 for the last pass and got a lather which lasted longer and was a bit more cushioning. I shall try again with a drier brush and see if that makes any odds but of the 2 the 3.5 was closer to a decent product than the current one.

TEST 1 BY ME

Used mk4 this morning - soft water area. Touch of water on soap whilst I showered then used a badger brush, soaked then shook dry.
Swirled the brush on the soap for few seconds and lather was already starting. Loaded the brush up a bit more then onto my face where almost instant lather was produced.
Lather was quite thick and reasonably cushioning. I also found that towards the end of the first pass the lather was starting to dry out but just lasted long enough to finish. There was plenty left on the brush for second pass and touch ups with spot of water dribbled on brush as needed.
I found no burn/sting at all, and the shave was as close as with other products.
What more would I have liked?
I like products that are a bit more slick and leave the last shaved area slippery enough to gently skim over without more lather. The mk4 left my skin without enough lubrication to risk a skim. However, I would not say that the result is dried out skin after using mk4.
Maybe when extras are added, like scent oils, there maybe a bit more slickness and lubrication?
Will continue to use for rest of this week and report back .
Thanks for the trial sample Artisan.

Mand

Jeltz - thanks for your initial impressions, I found them VERY interesting and VERY confusing (not your fault) :lol:
The oils in 3.5 only differ from the 4 in the substitution of stearic acid for a small %ge of the palm oil. If the text books are to be believed, there should have been greater stability and a harder soap. The Potassium hydroxide was to counteract this hardenning, but may also have altered the lather more than I anticipated. :ugeek: Fascinating :ugeek: I really am an anorak when it comes to formulating soaps - sorry :oops:

A Mark 5 (if needed) will probably need more stearic. I didn't use lots initially as I don't want you lovely Chaps trying to test concrete :lol:

I will be interested to hear how TEST 2 goes :D

mand - thank you for your detailed feedback too. Very informative ;) Seems like the Mark 3 in that some testers with soft water are having more success. However, a bit more lubrication and slickness would be needed. I look forward to your updates too - Thank you :)

Artisan
Received soap yesterday. My initial impression was something of the same appearance / texture as Valobra, obviously somewhat harder. I could identify a slight smell that puzzled me? My wife had a sniff and got it in one (As usual!) Oats! What slight smell there is is nice and clean.

I tried a test lathering on my hand having shaved prior to receiving the soap. Absolutely no problems with loads of thick cushioning lather that lasted for a long time, long enough for a shave, 3+ passes.

Living in Glasgow my tap water is very soft, maybe that is the 'X Factor'. I did find it confusing there being virtually no aroma and I kept smelling the lather trying to find a fragrance. Conditioning probably.

I will shave tomorrow and post the review. Giving my face a rest in fairness to you and the test.

Regards

Russell

Thank you rangers62 - glad you had success with a test lathering :D

I was wondering about the smell myself. All soap (even unscented) does have a scent of its own. Generally with an unscented soap, you just get a very clean smell, or of one of the oils in the mix. I agree with your wife on this one - it does have a smell remeniscent of oats - comforting. :p

Sorry you missed having a scent - I prefer my test bars to be unscented so that I don't get the usual "I like that it smells lovely" or "didn't like that it smells horrible" that I have had from testers in the past (not on this forum I hasten to add ;) ). Rest assured, when there is a soap ready for sale, it will be available in several 'flavours' :D

I look forward to hearing how you find it when you actually shave. :p

Back
Top Bottom