Arko. Best Buy?

Potassium Tallowate, Stearic Acid, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Parrafinum Liquidum, CI 77891, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Disodium Distrylbiphenyl Disulfonate, Amyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamol, Linalool.

My first use of it today.

On the plus side, astonishing performance for the price. Haven't tried Palmolive but this has to be a shaving bargain if ever there is one.

On the negative side, the smell is a bit Marmite. I don't mind it, but I can see how others might not. Plus it is very pungent. An unwrapped stick is currently filling the bathroom with its scent. My wife hasn't commented yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Just for the record, my bowl lathering method for Arko. Slice off 1/8", run it under the tap and press it down into a suitable bowl so that it sticks. Wrap up the rest of the stick and do your worst.

I bought a single stick of Arko (75g) for 79 pence in a shop 5 minutes down the road from my work.

Have I stumbled onto a bargain here - people at the start of the thread were talking about paying £3 a stick?

Tall_Paul said:

On the plus side, astonishing performance for the price. Haven't tried Palmolive but this has to be a shaving bargain if ever there is one.

On the negative side, the smell is a bit Marmite. I don't mind it, but I can see how others might not. Plus it is very pungent. An unwrapped stick is currently filling the bathroom with its scent. My wife hasn't commented yet, but it's only a matter of time.

This sums up my view having used it today for the first time. I was really impressed by the slickness of the lather, but the smell seems a little 'clinical', for want of a better term.

There is certainly a case for always keeping it in a rotation, but I think I'm certainly willing to offset lather performance to a slight degree in preference of soaps and creams that smell great.

PavlovsDog said:
Tall_Paul said:

This sums up my view having used it today for the first time. I was really impressed by the slickness of the lather, but the smell seems a little 'clinical', for want of a better term.

There is certainly a case for always keeping it in a rotation, but I think I'm certainly willing to offset lather performance to a slight degree in preference of soaps and creams that smell great.

I think I may be about the only person who actually LIKES the smell of Arko...

PavlovsDog said:

If by clinical you mean the toilet of a hospital ie.. urinal cakes I completely agree

Perished said:
PavlovsDog said:
Tall_Paul said:

I think I may be about the only person who actually LIKES the smell of Arko...

I like it as well.

I always thought it smelt a bit like (nmuch stronger) cheap lemon sweets. Maybe sherbert?
Performance is good but due to the smell I only use it if I'm in the mood for it. Sometimes I think "I really fancy using the Arko" and nothing else will do. Other times I think "definitely not the Arko today".

Tabac I don't like the smell of at all unfortunately (as I hear it is excellent).

Its nice.

And all the comparisons to urinal cakes . . . aren't urinal cakes 'supposed' to smell nice?

Would defeat the object if they smelled of an old tramps trousers.

I haven't tried Arko yet, I am using Palmolive which I grate into an airtight coffee container, just sprinkle some into the bowl and away you go. BTW I have noticed that the price of Palmolive sticks has rocketed in Morrisons from 48 pence per stick four weeks ago to 99 pence per stick now, I was stocking up on them they must have noticed and have jacked the price up!

Back
Top Bottom