Are Ikons really that good?

I'd agree fully with Dipesh's post.

If you were to look at it logically, you wouldn't buy one but since when has this been about logic?

I've bought three, at very considerable cost, but they give me a great deal of pleasure and I don't regret buying them at all.

Update on my Ikon.

My Ikon arrived today, it's one of the original one built back in 2009. I had to test it out.

I found it a lot more aggresive than my my Merkur Futur, so I'm not sure I will be using it on a regular basis, it did give me a very good shave though. I can achieve just as good shave with the Merkur though, and the Merkur just feels easier to use to me, I think thats due to it's weight.

So, Do I like the Ikon? Yes, it is wonderful. It looks fantastic and it gives a good shave, is it a better razor, I don't think so, not for me anyway. I'll stick to the Merkur Futur for my daily shave.

It is like the car analogy though that ws mentioned earlier.

I have a Diesel Ford Focus estate, It has a roof rack, and a tow bar, with which I can easily pull a fair weight. I have room in the back of it for the 2 dogs or anything else I need to lug around. It will happily sit on the motorway at 100 if I wanted it to, and is a comfortable car to drive on a daily basis.

I also have a 3.0 Litre Petrol Jag X-Type.

Does it do anything better than the Focus? Apart from the speed it can drink petrol, I can't think of anything. Which one do I prefer? obviously the Jag.

Lose the beard said:
I have a Diesel Ford Focus estate,

I also have a 3.0 Litre Petrol Jag X-Type. Does it do anything better than the Focus?
Ahh, [assuming its a 1.6 DLD diesel of the PSA ilk] but your Ford will grenade its engine far more effectively and spectacularly than the Jaguar when the turbo seals let go.

The iKons are good though aren't they?

Interesting thread. Can't say I've tried an ikon, but reading some of the views on here, I'd give it a go. when i first got into wet shaving, and only visited one wet shaving community site, B&B, ikon was/is a dirty word. I suppose that's why i've held off from buying one.

I know I've already had my say, but based on the experience of 'Lose the Beard' in his above post, to me it's too much of a risk with the potential for little additional reward (in so much the performance isn't going to be appreciably better than my current razors that have cost no more than £35 for the most expensive)

Perished said:
Interesting thread. Can't say I've tried an ikon, but reading some of the views on here, I'd give it a go. when i first got into wet shaving, and only visited one wet shaving community site, B&B, ikon was/is a dirty word. I suppose that's why i've held off from buying one.

I think the issue with B&B & Ikon wasn't related to the product more to the interaction between moderators and manufacturers. At one time a few vendors names were filtered including Connaught (following bans), however they seem to have put an end to this practice,

Not making any judgments on rights or wrongs just stating what was happening.

dodgy said:
missingskin said:
Think you are missing the point here, anyone buying a high end razor like a Pils. Feather AS-D1,or Ikon is because they want one not because they need one. I doubt they think it will shave 5 or 10 times better than a £30.00 Merkur. I own 3 Ikons none were bought because I thought they they would shave £ per £ better against a cheaper razor, I bought them because I wanted too. We all have different reasons for buying razors, but if you are asking if it will be 5 times better then a Merkur/Muhle then the answer is no.

The joy of this shaving lark is we all are different and choose to spend our cash on what we want to and shave with what we want to it would be a fecking boring life otherwise?

What's goin on ditzyhunk,

That is a pretty darn good answer.....sums things up nicely.

Marvin

Hey Marv, life is good. the drive home yesterday in the snow was not much fun tho.

Slippinglump

antdad said:
Most of us go through the phase in our shaving development where we think a magic shave is still achievable by the acquisition of the right tool(s), in the end when we consistently get better shaves with more experience the notion of the "magic shave" simply subsides.

I might be at that stage now. I've been getting great shaves with a Flare-tipped Rocket and a Tech for the last few weeks and I'm sorely tempted to have a clear out.

For my money I would no buy a ikon as said by others just basically a clone of other razors, yeah there stainless and shiney but not worth the premium he tries to charge now for them.
They also can by no means be described as handmade. They will be machined and made like every other razor electronic lathe and CNC machined.

pedro083 said:
For my money I would no buy a ikon as said by others just basically a clone of other razors, yeah there stainless and shiney but not worth the premium he tries to charge now for them.
They also can by no means be described as handmade. They will be machined and made like every other razor electronic lathe and CNC machined.

To be fair though Pedro you could say that about any high end razor or high end brush come to that.

Yellow Jim said:
antdad said:
Most of us go through the phase in our shaving development where we think a magic shave is still achievable by the acquisition of the right tool(s), in the end when we consistently get better shaves with more experience the notion of the "magic shave" simply subsides.

I might be at that stage now. I've been getting great shaves with a Flare-tipped Rocket and a Tech for the last few weeks and I'm sorely tempted to have a clear out.

Can I get first dibs on your Eclipse then Jim? :icon_wink:

Tall_Paul said:
Yellow Jim said:
antdad said:

Possibly. Mates rates or market value? :icon_razz:

Yeah but.....

f3de1922.jpg

cfc1efd2.jpg

97c84fd6.jpg

.....They be shexy as hell.

Yellow Jim said:
Tall_Paul said:
Yellow Jim said:
antdad said:

Possibly. Mates rates or market value? :icon_razz:

Haha! I'll leave that up to you! :icon_lol:

Back
Top Bottom