Are Ikons really that good?

Evening all.

Not trying to be contentious, just thinking about buying one. Thinking being the operative word - I have to find the funds first - and therin lies the problem.

At between £140 to £180, this would be quite a major purchase for me. It would require all sorts of pre-acquisition justification, including gaining permission from SWMBO (The usual "it was twenny quid, Luv" excuse will not work here.)

So. What makes these razors so different from all the other makes and models (both old and new) that are on the market? Are they genuinely better, if so in what way, and here's the clincher - being in mind that they are 5 or 6 times more expensive than a Merkur or Muhle, do they deliver a result that is 5 or 6 times better?

Appreciate all the stuff about them being 'handmade' and 'precision engineered' and 'unique' and I'm sure that this justifys some of the cost, but I won't be buying this to look at it and not use it. It has to be practical and do the job. I know that stainless steel doesn't rust - neither does Chrome and Nickel plated Brass - I don't see this as a significant benefit over the competition (unless someone can tell me different?)

Over to you guys, what are your honest opinions of them?

Jules

PS, could you make a note of which Ikon you are referring to in your reply - Ta!

Julese34 said:
being in mind that they are 5 or 6 times more expensive than a Merkur or Muhle, do they deliver a result that is 5 or 6 times better?

It's hard (nay impossible) to better a comfortable BBS shave, so no razor can be 5 or 6 times better than (say) a Merkur if a Merkur is getting you that comfortable BBS shave. So while I've admittedly never had an Ikon, I feel I can say hand on heart it simply can't be that much better.

That's not to say I think it's illogical to get one, I see the point. I think when people buy an Ikon they're not simply buying shaving ability or efficiency, they're buying into an exclusive club. For sure you're not "part of the pack" with something like an Ikon. To some people that exclusivity and the build quality IS worth 5 or 6 times a Muhle, you just have to decide if that's for you. Too rich for me chief.

It's sometimes scary how often Canuck replies with pretty much the exact answer I was thinking out loud - once again I agree with this.

I've said it before- and I know it's the wrong thing to say on a dedicated shaving site - but it's just a freaking shave at the end of the day. Just how much better can a great shave be than merely a very good one and so on.

I'd sooner go with variety - if someone gave me a £150 voucher that I could only spend on DE razors, I'd rather get 5 x £30 razors of differing styles (slant, open comb, closed comb, adjustable etc) than blow the lot on one.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

I have a Merkur Futur, which gives me a very good shave. Tomorrow I have an Ikon classic turning up. It's one of the original ones of which less than 75 were made.

I will be giving it a test shave tomorrow, I will post up my findings.

Ooooh, now I have the iKon bug and have it bad.
I like the "standard" head iKon. I like the weight, i like the high polish finish and I like the shave I get from it.
I can get just as good a shave from my 1962 Adjustable, but it doesnt feel as nice.

I didnt like the Delux but there you go. I had an original 2009 production off Greg, I bought it for about £40, I sold it for a bit more when times were tough, I regretted it and bought another for £100. In effect its a Feather ASD1 clone, but IMHO, nicer.

But I agree, prices are silly for something that is basically a glorified Tech.

Im not selling mine though.

Think you are missing the point here, anyone buying a high end razor like a Pils. Feather AS-D1,or Ikon is because they want one not because they need one. I doubt they think it will shave 5 or 10 times better than a £30.00 Merkur. I own 3 Ikons none were bought because I thought they they would shave £ per £ better against a cheaper razor, I bought them because I wanted too. We all have different reasons for buying razors, but if you are asking if it will be 5 times better then a Merkur/Muhle then the answer is no.
Are they worth the money I paid, to me yes. But I buy razors for my own reasons, not to be part of "a club" .
If you are thinking of buying one because you think it will magically shave 5 x better than say a Merkur 34HD, then save your money it won't.
The joy of this shaving lark is we all are different and choose to spend our cash on what we want to and shave with what we want to it would be a fecking boring life otherwise?

missingskin said:
Think you are missing the point here, anyone buying a high end razor like a Pils. Feather AS-D1,or Ikon is because they want one not because they need one. I doubt they think it will shave 5 or 10 times better than a £30.00 Merkur. I own 3 Ikons none were bought because I thought they they would shave £ per £ better against a cheaper razor, I bought them because I wanted too. We all have different reasons for buying razors, but if you are asking if it will be 5 times better then a Merkur/Muhle then the answer is no.

The joy of this shaving lark is we all are different and choose to spend our cash on what we want to and shave with what we want to it would be a fecking boring life otherwise?

What's goin on ditzyhunk,

That is a pretty darn good answer.....sums things up nicely.

Marvin

IMO they are worth it. I love my ikon's. They just look stunning.

My favourite is the OSS. It's known as the feather AS clone but shaves nothing like the feather. For me it's a better shave and the finish on the handle is better.

The S3S didn't knock it off the too spot for me. There something about that razor that just works for me.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

I am still trying to find the 'right' razor for me. The Gillette slim came close and a BRW handle with a Gillette new head came even closer, but I haven't found anything that gives that 'magic shave'. (Muhle R41 gives the closest shave of all, but I haven't found a way of stemming the associated bleeding yet....)

Appreciate the arguements on this one are subjective, but the way that some people rave about them, I thought that there was something different and special about the way that they shave.

Glad I asked the question and thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks all.

Jules

Love ikons. I particularly recommend picking up one of Father Ted's used!

I have the good fortune to have acquired a cc and an OC Bulldog secondhand. If you eat dry bread every day and wear sacking don't touch them. But if you like some good things every now and then, there is a great deal of pleasure to be had shaving with one. Mind you, I say the same thing about the Feathers AS. And the Fatboy. And the Progress. And ....

mattyb240 said:
Why buy a BMW 3 series when you can get a ford focus? Has 4 wheels does the same job?

Not in this bloody weather it doesn't. I would happily swap my BMW for a bag of magic beans right now. Stupid rear wheel drive!

joe mcclaine said:
mattyb240 said:
Why buy a BMW 3 series when you can get a ford focus? Has 4 wheels does the same job?

Not in this bloody weather it doesn't. I would happily swap my BMW for a bag of magic beans right now. Stupid rear wheel drive!

LOL: Ten bags of cement should do the trick Vinnie.

To the OP I'd say no don't bother at least not yet, there are plenty of moderately priced razors/blade combos that are just as likely to give you the results you desire.

Most of us go through the phase in our shaving development where we think a magic shave is still achievable by the acquisition of the right tool(s), in the end when we consistently get better shaves with more experience the notion of the "magic shave" simply subsides.

Back
Top Bottom