Anyone reconsidering use of Alum? What other options?

Alum blocks are great and as a newbie I have bought one to help against nicks. I only give a quick wipe though as overdoing it dries out skin. I have used witchazel since I was a teen to battle zits and it is great stuff. It can be had in bottle or gel form (mixed with glycerin) from boots for about £1.99 and is a good aftershave substitute to Alum but it won't stem bleeding from nicks.

If you're talking about Alum as after shave, I stopped using it two years ago when I discovered Kelemata Acqua Virginiana that in fact is Witch Hazel. Here in Italy you can't find Thayers or similar but I've found this. Kept in the fridge and used instead of alum, in few minutes blocks any light nicks. It don't dry your skin and let it ready for the aftershave.
kelemata-acqua-micellare-detergente-viso-occhi-e-labbra.jpg

If I cut myself more seriously, and it don't happens very often, I use Proraso Gel Riparatore
Proraso-Gel-Riparatore.png

If you're talking about Alum as after shave, I stopped using it two years ago when I discovered Kelemata Acqua Virginiana that in fact is Witch Hazel. Here in Italy you can't find Thayers or similar but I've found this. Kept in the fridge and used instead of alum, in few minutes blocks any light nicks. It don't dry your skin and let it ready for the aftershave.
kelemata-acqua-micellare-detergente-viso-occhi-e-labbra.jpg

If I cut myself more seriously, and it don't happens very often, I use Proraso Gel Riparatore
Proraso-Gel-Riparatore.png
The main ingredient in Proraso Riparatore is the 'dreaded' ↪aluminium chlorohydrate. If, for some bizarre reason, you want to avoid this, stay away from the gel.
I love it. Essential if you shave with a Durham Duplex razor with a dog dresser blade or if you're likely to do other stupid things for fun. :eek:

I've never got along with alum: it leaves my skin feeling dry and tight even after rinsing my face immediately after rubbing it with alum. I finish all my shaves with a generous splash of an alcohol-based aftershave, which feels even better if it also contains menthol. If I do nick myself or have a weeper or two I'll dab them with a styptic pencil, but if bleeding continues I'll apply a tiny bit of bog paper.

Deodorants often contain aluminum chlorohydrate. This is not the same as aluminum chloride which is a neuotoxin.
Despite lot of research no link between aluminium chlorohydrate and Alzheimers has be established.
Feel free to avoid it anyway.
Alum is normally potassium alum, which is harmless. It's even used in food. Just because there are a few atoms of aluminium in this salt, doesn't mean it's toxic.
Sodium and chlorine are both highly toxic, yet most people use sodium chloride (table salt) daily without being poisoned.
If my brain goes funny in old age, I'll blame it on beer and wine, not shaving. If I remember. :rolleyes:

This.

I'm not convinced on alum as a post-shave thing, but it's great as a deodorant.

Evenin,
Once again I have read about the risks of aluminium, particularly in deodorant, and it has got me thinking about my use of Alum (Osma Alum Block).

I know the risks are not clearly known and "under arm" use is the highest potential risk, but rubbing over face and neck may not be the best idea?

Sadly, it has become part of my ritual, it brings a very refreshing zing to the process and works wonders for small cuts.

So is there another product without aluminium, that I could swap to, a lotion, or tonic that could provide zing, antiseptic, and styptic properties?
Best regards,
Chris

Just found this thread and sorry but I've not read it all so forgive me if I repeat what others have said!

A few days ago I was looking for an aluminium-free deodorant and discovered so-called 'crystal' rocks. I ordered a couple and tried them...they work brilliantly. However, I then realised that they are basically exactly the same as alum blocks. During my research, I found several disconcerting articles on various websites that I would summarise (crudely) as follows:
1. Alum blocks used for shaving blocks and crystals used for deodorants do contain aluminium molecules
2. However, these are tied to other molecules that make it impossible for them to penetrate the skin
3. Antiperspirants use aluminium compounds that are intended to penetrate the skin pores to block them to stop sweating (as sweating is an essential natural thing, many people don't like antiperspirants and they don't like the idea of aluminium being absorbed into the body because of the potential health issues)
4. Alum blocks and crystal deodorants only act on the surface of the skin
5. Alum blocks and crystal deodorants are therefore preferable to aluminium-based antiperspirants
6. HOWEVER...because alum blocks and crystal deodorants DO contain small amounts of aluminium, it MIGHT be wiser to find alternatives.

My personal conclusion:
While the jury is out on all of this and there doesn't seem to be much conclusive scientific evidence, I decided to go with a gut instinct...I have dumped all of my alum blocks and aluminium-based antiperspirants and will only use witch hazel from now on as an immediate post-shave astringent, followed by aftershave splash and balm.

I've found a couple of aluminium-free deodorants to replace my aluminium-based antiperspirants: MenScience Advanced Deodorant, and Bionsen Sensitive.

I've used the MenScience stuff before and it works. The Bionsen is supposed to be very good and is cheaper.
Witch hazel is something I often use as an alternative to alum.

I would stress that I have been an avid user of alum (my shaving 'Geiger counter') and I've not read anything that has made me overly concerned about alum blocks as a post-shave or deodorant...but if I can find totally aluminium-free products that work well, then why take the chance?

In one of my past lives I was administratively responsible for an institutional kitchen. I believe that you'll find Al Cookware in almost any commercial kitchen. Al and Stainless are used almost 100% of the time because of easy cleanup and care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In one of my past lives I was administratively responsible for an institutional kitchen. I believe that you'll find Al Cookware in almost any commercial kitchen. Al and Stainless are used almost 100% of the time because of easy cleanup and care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aluminium pots and pans have often been the favourite of institutions (public and commercial) because they are cheaper than most other materials, but I stopped using aluminium pans years ago because of the health fears about transmission of aluminium into food under heat etc. Again, there isn't that much evidence around from what I can see, but there's enough to give me pause. I'm sticking with stainless steel and ceramics. Just thought...with so much aluminium occurring naturally in the Earth's crust, ceramic pans have probably got loads of it in them too!:eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom