Anyone any experience of CJB Kamisori razors?

CJB vs feather pro guard

Perceived sharpness - feather win.
Smoothness during shave - tie
Number of nicks - CJB win (surprised - 1 nick with feather, none with CJB)
Sting with alum - tie
Final result - CJB win

So, on test one (half face with CJB, half with proguard) the feather felt like it was slicing slightly better with the effortless ease that I fell in love with. The CJB tugged very slightly. But only very slightly.
Both shaves were equally comfortable though, until the proguard bit me under the nose. The unguarded CJB was a true gentleman.
The alum block revealed no more harshness after the shave, and as I feel my face now, I think the CJB side is a better shave.

Disclaimer : I will repeat the same test at the weekend, but with sides of face reversed. Maybe I'm better at one side than the other.
I will do this a few times before comparing the unguarded feather pro to the CJB.

So far the CJB seems a worthy blade to have. Based on today's shave, I would buy them.
But I still like the feather as well.

I used the CJB blade this morning and could not tell any difference to the Feather in terms of sharpness. As usual, I ran the blade through a wine bottle cork before first use and didn't experience any more alum or A/S sting than usual - which is not a great deal anyway.

I did get one small nick from a slightly wrong angle but that's a user fault.

The only other relevant test for me is longevity, but I change my tools (straights, SE, Cobra, Feather) every day so it will take too long for me to reach a verdict. What I would say is that at the price they seem to be a winner to me.

Had a few pm's about the blades, they are £7 a pack + £1 postage by PayPal gift to mr-dead@live.co.uk (don't forget to pm me your address)

on a different note ive decided to make a folding version for myself and have been looking around for something to make the scales from when I came across this website, they do lots of horn/bone stuff but for something completely different they do mammoth horn!

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/Sonstige-tierische-Materialien-3624_3634.htm

Cant be many razors out there with a set of mammoth scales lol :)

Loving the mammoth scales idea!!!

markj113 said:
Had a few pm's about the blades, they are £7 a pack + £1 postage by PayPal gift to mr-dead@live.co.uk (don't forget to pm me your address)

on a different note ive decided to make a folding version for myself and have been looking around for something to make the scales from when I came across this website, they do lots of horn/bone stuff but for something completely different they do mammoth horn!

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/category/Sonstige-tierische-Materialien-3624_3634.htm

Cant be many razors out there with a set of mammoth scales lol :)

You will need minimum 150mm length for a straight razor - if you can get a blank of 60mm or over this will be enough for a matched pair.

Thanks for the link by the way - I wasn't aware of this site - I ordered some Giraffe bones from USA last week.

UKRob said:
You will need minimum 150mm length for a straight razor - if you can get a blank of 60mm or over this will be enough for a matched pair.

Thanks for the link by the way - I wasn't aware of this site - I ordered some Giraffe bones from USA last week.

Just been trawling through the site after getting the measuring tape on my vintage scales, trying to find something a bit different that will fit.

The buffalo horn looks like a good buy, if you got lucky with the sizes you could get 3 sets of scales out of 1 piece -

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/831031/Buffalo-Horn-Plates-Extra-Long-Thickness-3-5-mm.htm

markj113 said:
Just been trawling through the site after getting the measuring tape on my vintage scales, trying to find something a bit different that will fit.

The buffalo horn looks like a good buy, if you got lucky with the sizes you could get 3 sets of scales out of 1 piece -

Yes, that's the one I spotted. I already have a good supply of Buffalo horn so I think I'll ask whether they can do the honey coloured and bones in bigger sizes.

Dr Rick said:
Should be able to make scales for a scythe with giraffe bones!

You're right Rick. Unfortunately the main market is for knife scales consequently the pieces are pre-cut at smaller sizes than a razor scale needs. Most of the suppliers get their products bought in so it's a question of trying to get back one step if you see what I mean.

Used the CJB blade for the first time today....and I was impressed. Sharpness was good when compared to the feather blades. For a first shave.....smoothness was perhaps fractionally less than the feather....but better than the KAI PINK. The Kai blade usually improves after the first shave, so we will see how things develop. I managed a BBS with my normal 2 pass shave with touch up. Reaction to Alum was nil!
If these blades have decent longevity.....they would appear to be a good buy.

I had a horrible shave with the CJB today.
I am fairly sure it was all user error though. I'm feeling a bit out of sorts and just kept losing grip of the feather AC. As a result I got 3 nicks and loads of alum sting.
I don't think its the blades fault.

Re: RE: Anyone any experience of CJB Kamisori razors?

cruciate said:
I had a horrible shave with the CJB today.
I am fairly sure it was all user error though. I'm feeling a bit out of sorts and just kept losing grip of the feather AC. As a result I got 3 nicks and loads of alum sting.
I don't think its the blades fault.

ouch, makesure to really dry hands first

I tried the CJB blade this afternoon, on a 36 hour beard growth.

First thoughts, with one shave with it, it seems very similar to a Feather Professional blade, but a tad more comfortable. My outright favourite is the Feather Pro Guard.

I will try it for a few more shaves to see if it 'matures' nicely. However considering the price I will definitely buy a pack.

So Mark, please put me down for a pack, and once again, well done for bringing all this to our attention!

Also if anyone is considering a razor get your order in quick and I can order the lot at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom