Aluminum razors

J23

I like light razors and was looking into some aluminium models. Are they any good? Or should I stick with vintage bakelite or semi-plastic razors (Feather ‘Popular’ etc)?

Last edited:
I've got several. Among them are various Ikons (slant etc.), Henson, Razorock slant, Hone, Seygus, Standard DEs (of which I have four, two black and two silver, with one pair unused), and Colonial, Mongoose Alumigoose, Focus Dynamic and Razorock SEs.

I like all of them, especially the Standards, and the Ikons, which were among the first that I bought. They are, of course, lighter than stainless, but rather less expensive than titanium.

To my mind, among the makings of a good razor are a well-designed head, good balance and the right length of handle. Provided that an aluminium head is a "good one", and the screw thread is the standard M5, it's easy enough to tune that to suit personal preferences by using a different, and usually stainless handle in place of the original aluminium. I have several different third-party handles to use, but curiously I have been able to find only one in aluminium (to experiment with on a stainless head), and that's no longer available.

There are makes other than those I have mentioned, and some of mine are no longer produced nor are they available from UK suppliers. I have bought most non-UK items direct from the makers in North America.

On the question of bakelite/plastic razors, the Phoenix plastic ones are good, although the colours are a bit strident. I have one of their restrained brown ones. Merkur also made a #45 bakelite, but I'm not sure if that's still available. If you're interested in vintage, then Wardonia razors might be worth a look, although DE blades have to be adapted to fit in them. There's also a modern Dorco plastic DE.

Last edited:
I like light razors and was looking into some aluminium models. Are they any good? Or should I stick with vintage bakelite or semi-plastic razors (Feather ‘Popular’ etc)?

Where are you based?

I've got a few light aluminium razors. The pick of them are the English made Ball End Tech (there's one on UK ebay right now for about a tenner) and the Star Model 100/Personna which occasionally crops up. The Alu Ball End Tech has a brass top cap and aluminium handle/baseplate, and the Star/Personna counterpart I have has a zamak top cap and alu baseplate/handle.

Where are you based?

I've got a few light aluminium razors. The pick of them are the English made Ball End Tech (there's one on UK ebay right now for about a tenner) and the Star Model 100/Personna which occasionally crops up. The Alu Ball End Tech has a brass top cap and aluminium handle/baseplate, and the Star/Personna counterpart I have has a zamak top cap and alu baseplate/handle.
Thanks but for now I’m looking for new models.

I've had limited experience of aluminium DE razors, specifically, Henson.
I bought a "mild" V2 some months ago and loved it. Paired with a sharp Personna or Feather blade it was great but still a little on the mild side for me, YMMV
I ended up swapping it for another razor.
However, when an "aggressive" v2 recently went on sale I snapped one up. It is certainly a bit more aggressive and I'm loving it. Would recommend you look at the Hensons.
Just my 2p worth.

Apologies - I was meaning reply to your thread previously. Like you I prefer light razors - we swim against the tide of the 'stainless steel' brigade. Apart from anything else - aluminium razors are significantly cheaper in most cases. Even ones made by Timeless. I never understood the sage advice - a stainless steel razor is better, an heirloom - it'll last forever. Yes, so will an aluminium one - what are you planning on doing with it? I have lots of interesting razors - old and new - and they all have their place in my den - but I find myself these days using one of these three razors for 90% of my shaves. All modern aluminium - and full disclosure - as I have got better at shaving myself - my razors of choice have become milder - less assertive - whatever you want to call it. Caveat - I still use my Cobra on occasion when I want the thrill of a very real danger of hacking my nose off. This isn't a review of these razors - just three to flag up in the category you suggested with your op. Pics for identification - the ATT may not be made anymore - I'm not sure. The other two are easily available. In no order -

Sotd-19-05-23.png

The Henson AL13 - the original mildest one - they do another two more assertive versions these days. Astonishingly well made - I think the company also make aluminium shit for satellites - it shows. The safest 'safety razor' I have ever used. Vintage Schick O type safe.

Sotd-09-03-22.png

ATT AL - I'm not sure if these are still made - originally - they supplied three alternative plates - mild, regular and assertive - I have the first two. There were handle options I think? My 'gateway drug' to the dark side of preferring modern aluminium razors. I never looked back.

Sotd-14-09-22.png

And finally - to forestall outraged comments - why no Karve Christopher Bradley aluminium? An extremely good razor - I own one with the B & C plates - I used it all the time until Karve brought out this - the alu Overlander. Game over. If I could only have one razor - for daily shaving or a monster growth - this does it all for me.

Hope this helps - cheers - I.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone can tell you if they are any good that decision is down to you but everything recommended is very good.
i have Karve Christopher Bradley in aluminium & Brass & both fantastic i also have the Rockwell 6c
which is decent in fact it’s very good but it’s not as good as it’s stainless big brother.
If you want quirky look at the Fakelite series from PAA i have them all and like them,
i say i have them all but they are the same razor in different colours.

... or semi-plastic razors (Feather ‘Popular’ etc)?
On the super-light end, my fav is Dorco PL602.
Twelve grams of hi-tech pure pleasure.
Super mild, super efficient.
Cheap as chips.

p4otp7b.jpeg

Where are you based?

Concurring with this ...

We recently had a month of the Gillette Tech and one of the razors that really surprised me was the humble British 1950s ball-ended Tech with the aluminium baseplate and handle. Likewise, I'm a big fan of the Personna/PAL/Star Tech-like razor which often had aluminium baseplates and handles.

Another really good (and cheap) lightweight razor is the Lord L122. It's NOT a cheap Sterling clone and shaves quite differently to those.

Lately I've been interested in light razors and I'm enjoying my first shaves with the Focus Tritok Concave R52.
The handle was a nice surprise, excellent grip and very solid feeling. At 40g is heavier than some ALU and plastic razors. I can see myself using this handle with other razors.

As others have said the Henson is a very good shaver, I had one and even though it is well made and does its job really well, I sold it because it was too light for me. Same thing for the Ti version. I just prefer SS, brass, bronze etc.

Back
Top Bottom