Acquisitions w/c Mon 31 May - 7 Jun inclusive

Sunday:

In Boots I picked up one bottle each of their brand of:

• - BayRum
    - Freshwood ASB
    - Freshwood AST[/list:u]

In the 99p Shop, I picked up 3 'individual' size casserole dishes with lids which should serve well enough as soap storage and use of large pucks.
    • ... also picked up 2 'Magic Ice Crystal' deodorant sticks in the same 99p Shop. These are simply 120g of potassium alum in a plastic tube and they have a plasticky holder/grip/applicator, so that your alum has some protection when not in use, and gives you a better grip so you're less likely to drop it when it is in use - Probably the single best deal on alum I have ever seen....
        • I don't think I could grow a crystal that size much cheaper - if at all cheaper - and that takes time and faff and some how you then have to shape the sharp bits off the lump to use it comfortably.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

... and then this evening, in a weird display of fortuitous happenstance, I thought I'd check ebay to see if any SE razors might be going fairly cheap. I won 2 Ever-Ready razors within seconds of each other in less than 6 minutes from my loggin' into the bay - total including postage: under £12.

... I missed out on a nice looking vintage Sheffield straight razor by 50p, because I didn't want to go too high and then have to buy all the other supplies/paraphernalia etc., especially as I have never used one, and the nerve impingement I have (etc etc blah blah blah) means I probably couldn't do a great job learning how to straight shave anyway, so why was I even bidding? I thought it looked cool, and I live in Sheffield. So there! ... and nyah.
          :roll:

While back home for something more than 24 hrs at the end of last week, went out and got (sorry, no pics) :

- 1 x Gillette sensitive shaving cream 100gr tube (P&G UK) @ Eur 1.65;
- 1 x Kolynos aloe vera shaving cream (Greek old brand) @ Eur 1.45;
- 1 x metal shaving bowl @ Eur 8.50 (with me now in Shanghai as it is sort of travel size);
- 1 x Proraso shaving cream tub @ Eur 2.80;
- 1 x Wilkinson blades;
- 1 x BIC Astra blades;
- 4 x Gillette Bleue blades;
- 1 x Old Spice (P&G Germany) AS 150ml @ Eur 8.50 if I'm not mistaken.

I also found at home my old badger brush, it needs knot replacement - who does these here? Our Henk or someone else? I'll get it with me when I return back, then post it for 'repair'...

Oh well, forgot the duty free items I got on Sat:

- 1 x Dior Intense Eau de Parfum 50 ml;
- 1 x YSL Kouros EdT 50 ml;
- 1 x Amouage Gold EdP 50 ml.

All together QAR 1,050 (Qatar Riyals) @ the Doha DFS (that's roughly equal to 190 quid).

N_Architect said:
I also found at home my old badger brush, it needs knot replacement - who does these here? Our Henk or someone else? I'll get it with me when I return back, then post it for 'repair'...

There's a number of us that could do that for you here, Chris (Neocaligatio), Beejay, myself, and I think one or two others.

@ Audiolab: definitely, and it's absolutely worth it.

@ Henk: thanks for the info Henk, will check further and we'll see who gets the job. A vendor who owns a barber supplies shop in Athens once asked me for this badger, along with the matching bowl that goes with it. He wanted to put them in his shop window for display. Fortunately I did not give in. They still have plenty of life to give to me before they are considered vintage items...

!BumwM4g!2k~$(KGrHqYOKioEvO)wSnDgBMBBNP7-eQ~~_12.JPG

I believe this to be an Gillette Old Type in a miss matched box, any info please Gents, or have I bought a duff one.

Tony

Monday:

• In today's *cough*work*cough*post, my order from Gary at ShoeBox Shaving arrived.
      • JM Fraser shave cream samples from the old country (via Florida ... which is Canadialand's other 'old country')... a little bit of all five varieties:
          • Original
            Polar Ice
            Oak Moss
            Oriental Spice
            Jake's Sport[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
              • Razor Blades from around the world!
                  • Elios - Spain
                    Sputnik - Russia
                    Big Ben Blue - Egypt (Lord Group)
                    Silver Star - Egypt (Lord Group)
                    Rainbow - Egypt (Lord Group)
                    Nacet - says made in UK, I thought it was suppposed to be NNS from ZAO St Petersburg, or such, but must be NOS??[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Urban Hermit said:
Nacet - says made in UK, I thought it was suppposed to be NNS from ZAO St Petersburg, or such, but must be NOS??

Does it not say "under licence by/for Gillette (UK)" - at least it's something along those lines (I think). No Gillette DE blades have been made in the UK for probably 20 years, maybe more as Gillette moved all their European production initially to Germany, then to Poland and then further to ZAO Petersburg.

hunnymonster said:
Urban Hermit said:
Nacet - says made in UK, I thought it was suppposed to be NNS from ZAO St Petersburg, or such, but must be NOS??

Does it not say "under licence by/for Gillette (UK)" - at least it's something along those lines (I think). No Gillette DE blades have been made in the UK for probably 20 years, maybe more as Gillette moved all their European production initially to Germany, then to Poland and then further to ZAO Petersburg.

That's why I was wondering if it was New Old Stock... same as I have a few packs of 'New' Jewel blades, the factory for which is still making blades in Sheffield, just not DER blades ... not since maybe the mid-80's I thin k I read in one of the threads on one of the boards. But yeah, something like that was on the box... the exact wording from the Nacet Platinum package (two crocs not, just one, being severed in twain), is as follows:

"Made by Gillette for Gillette U.K. Ltd., London, England."

... and speaking of moves of operations. Has anyone got a list of the brands/makes/models/etc., being made, but that are not making it anywhere near us, and maybe why, and alos maybe how to get hold of some of them? ... such as Sputniks, Minora, etc. I obviously know of Shoebax who took over from another American chappie. ... and there's another someone I think in Lake Champlain area of New York who doesn't ship internationally.

I know that Ian, what I said was...

andyjreid said:
it's an odd number for a box of blades

Blades usually come in boxes of 5 or 10 however I admit I haven't taken into account the fact he might have bought 94 boxes of "5 + 1" blades.

Back
Top Bottom