Acquisitions 21st - 27th March

Audiolab said:
It seems inconsistent, this site lists it is as 23mm knot 51 knot, is there no differentiation in sizes for hair grade?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html</a><!-- m -->

Last time I bought an EJ brush I phoned up the shop and asked them to measure it, by the EJ description it should have been a 55mm loft but the ones they had they had were 51.

I like the handle shape of the PJ range, not that far from the Ablibaba shape which is nice to hold.

Interesting. Progress Vulfix don't include any information about Simpson brushes. Retailers do not publish consistent details. And even when they publish info like brush handle and loft heights they vary.

Your EJ at 51mm is a completely different brush to one with a loft of 55mm.

As discussed on another thread, loft variations of 1mm to 2mm could be acceptable but beyond that may be a different story.

Fido said:
Audiolab said:
4000 Gillette Bleues today, yes 4000...I am crackers but got a good deal and may sell some to offset the cost.
2 Ralph Lauren Safari soaps (vintage)
2 Rooney brushes from Fido

Average 3 shaves a blade covers you for 33 years.

Think I may just have edged HM in terms of shavcolypse datem but I am not keeping count. The Bleues are only good for three shaves but three darn good shaves, I was introduced to them by Antdad and at first I got both the best and the worst shaves (well almost the worst) I have had with any blade. I purchased some myself and now that I have been through a few packs I decided I like them a lot.

The one thing these blades do for me that other don't is that I have this problem area right at the edge of my stubble on my neck, the hair grows in every direction and even with the best blade I usually have at least a minor irritation in that area after shaving. It is gone in half an hour but with the Swedish Bueues it is rare to get any irritation at all, granted there are other blades that shave me closer on the cheeks etc but overall I like the balance of these, between smooth and sharp.

One thing I do notice is all the ones I like are labeled from Sweden, I believe the production of these was transferred to another plant (St Pettersburg) and while I haven't tired any of these blades from that plant the lesson I learned from my experience with Gilllette Silver Blues was buy them if you like them and can secure known stock. i was negotiating another purchase of 4000 today :hungrig

Oh and you are right 55-51mm could be like two different brushes, was ever so glad I phoned because they had other ones that were 55mm, these had the writing on the other way (you can specift direction so it can be read in a stand or on a shelf) so I guess it was probably done in a different batch.

I also seem to have pulled the trigger on three scruffy but serviceable straights, bringing me to a total of seven. It's now clear to me what form my particular "acquisition disorder" is taking - sharp things, quelle surprise. Two sources of consolation: 1) Hawkeye, and 2) it's not as strange as having a brush fetish.

Audiolab said:
Approximate total is somewhere between 7000 and 8000 blades.

That's one impressive haul!

I need to find the right blade to clear my problem areas without removing the skin at the same time..... when I identify the right one, I still don't think I'll be buying THAT many :D

lagaffe said:
I need to find the right blade to clear my problem areas without removing the skin at the same time..... when I identify the right one, I still don't think I'll be buying THAT many :D

Well you should. Ask the more experienced guys on here. Nothing worse than finding "the" blade and realising that you have some of the last hundred or thousand ever made.

Approximate total is somewhere between 7000 and 8000 blades.

This weekend I am having a tidy up and a stock take to see where I am and what I want to sell and buy and buy more of, includes brushes, blades and razors so keep your eyes peeled in the buy sell section over the early next week for some bargains that you will never see again.

andyjreid said:
lagaffe said:

Well you should. Ask the more experienced guys on here. Nothing worse than finding "the" blade and realising that you have some of the last hundred or thousand ever made.

Unfortunately it is a bit like a roulette wheel but sometimes if you are lucky enough to identify that lucky number then pile the chips on it before it spins, I will not use 8000 blades but hope to offload some to offset some of my costs at a honest profit, not ripping the piss out of it but some saving to both the seller and buyer.

Audiolab said:
andyjreid said:
lagaffe said:

Unfortunately it is a bit like a roulette wheel but sometimes if you are lucky enough to identify that lucky number then pile the chips on it before it spins, I will not use 8000 blades but hope to offload some to offset some of my costs at a honest profit, not ripping the piss out of it but some saving to both the seller and buyer.

I missed the part of the earlier post about them going out of production, so I see the method in your madness! I agree - if it was something I knew was THE one, I'd be trying to snap myself up a lifetime's supply before it vanished forever. Had I known that Morningstar Streaky Strips would stop being sold in the UK 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have happily bought multiple chest freezers and filled them with as many packs as I could have laid my hands on!

lagaffe said:
I missed the part of the earlier post about them going out of production, so I see the method in your madness! I agree - if it was something I knew was THE one, I'd be trying to snap myself up a lifetime's supply before it vanished forever.

That's what I'm in the process of doing... I've had "the" blade go out on me twice... First UK Wilkinsons (I bought the last 200 in the district and the online prices went nuts) then Gillette Platinums (aka Swedes) so my MO changed to try a small sample pack and if it's good, buy £50 worth and move on to see if there's something even better.

lagaffe said:
Had I known that Morningstar Streaky Strips would stop being sold in the UK 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have happily bought multiple chest freezers and filled them with as many packs as I could have laid my hands on!

Buy some blotting paper, a pair of scissors and some crayons - it's the same stuff. :lol: Ewwwwww! Freaky 'bacon' :?

Acquisitions:

10 Wilkinson Sticks
8 Palmolive (old formula)

Back
Top Bottom