Acquisitions 21st - 27th March

antdad said:
Its a Gillette NEW circa 1930's

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20NEW/The%20NEW.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The%20 ... %20NEW.htm</a><!-- m -->

thanks antdad

Arko Stick from leufeu on eBay.

Gillete 1921-28 Old Type Set from eBay. Ripped off on that one - seller put up lovely photos and described it as being in excellent condition. Failed to mention or take a photo of the bloody huge split running down more than half the handle. I've dropped him an email asking him for comment & giving him a chance to put it right before I leave any feedback. Let's see how it goes.

lagaffe said:

Gillete 1921-28 Old Type Set from eBay. Ripped off on that one - seller put up lovely photos and described it as being in excellent condition. Failed to mention or take a photo of the bloody huge split running down more than half the handle. I've dropped him an email asking him for comment & giving him a chance to put it right before I leave any feedback. Let's see how it goes.

Thats a shame. I had looked at that one. Main reason I didn't was due to it coming from USA

NatJag said:
lagaffe said:

Thats a shame. I had looked at that one. Main reason I didn't was due to it coming from USA

I'm OK with stuff from the States - usually here in 5 days (as this one was) which is quicker than most UK items!!

He's replied and apologised; says he didn't inspect it (which I'm a bit dubious about) but asked me to return it and he'll refund me fully. Fingers crossed.
It's a shame, as this was my first unscrew-at-the-bottom old-type Gillette, and apart from the ruddy great crack it's in fantastic nick.

lagaffe said:
NatJag said:
lagaffe said:

I'm OK with stuff from the States - usually here in 5 days (as this one was) which is quicker than most UK items!!

He's replied and apologised; says he didn't inspect it (which I'm a bit dubious about) but asked me to return it and he'll refund me fully. Fingers crossed.
It's a shame, as this was my first unscrew-at-the-bottom old-type Gillette, and apart from the ruddy great crack it's in fantastic nick.

I'd try and barter and see if he will refund you first seeing as you will have to pickup additional postage

andyjreid said:
lagaffe said:

I'd try and barter and see if he will refund you first seeing as you will have to pickup additional postage

I was just going to add on the return postage to my cost and get him to refund it all. Or do you mean barter to keep the razor at a reduced price so that he/I avoid return postage costs?

moodymick said:
Vulfix 2190 Travel Badger from DiamondEdge. also sent off my Fatboy and a 40s SS for re-plating (with Onotoman) :p

Got my 1965 Slim Adjustable back from Onotoman today after replating. Great job. It's shined up even more since I took the shot after repeated going-over with MAAS polish.

IMG_1038.JPG

Also a 1920s Pocket Edition (I think) from eBay which has cleaned up wonderfully and is in amazing condition without even the tiniest crack on the handle:

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

Interesting question!

Here is one of the guides to Simpson measurements:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.emsplace.com/simpson_brush_measurements.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.emsplace.com/simpson_brush_measurements.htm</a><!-- m -->

Subject to the usual caveats it states overall height for the PJ2 of 108mm inc loft of 53mm and knot of 21mm. Diamond Edge and TSG state height of 105mm and nothing else.

My PJ2 best is 104mm, loft 51mm

This PJ2 Super is 103mm, loft 50mm

Knot width at top of handle is 22mm so I guess the 21mm would be correct at the base of the knot.

So according to Ems Place the handle height is 55 (Its 53) and the loft is 53 (Its 50)

An additional 3mm loft would have made a very significant difference to the performance of the brush. I much prefer the firmness of the shorter loft, so I'm very happy. But if someone prefers a softer more flexible brush, they would be disappointed.

It seems inconsistent, this site lists it is as 23mm knot 51 knot, is there no differentiation in sizes for hair grade?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html</a><!-- m -->

Last time I bought an EJ brush I phoned up the shop and asked them to measure it, by the EJ description it should have been a 55mm loft but the ones they had they had were 51.

I like the handle shape of the PJ range, not that far from the Ablibaba shape which is nice to hold.

4000 Gillette Bleues today, yes 4000...I am crackers but got a good deal and may sell some to offset the cost.
2 Ralph Lauren Safari soaps (vintage)
2 Rooney brushes from Fido

Back
Top Bottom