Acquisitions 17th - 23rd May incl.

Audiolab said:
Feel free Fido, I obviously have two dozen other in higher resolution, pm me you email address if you want them.

Yours were just fine for purpose:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/recent-acquisitions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/20 ... tions.html</a><!-- m -->

Lovely stuff Martin.

Is that real horn, I'm guessing not and anyway there may be pros and cons to organic over synthetic.

Looks fantastic whatever. Hope it performs well.

Hi Rev,

That was one of the first questions I asked, "Is this real horn?" and the reply came back, "Of course it is sir" I got the feeling that this was like going into the Rolls Royce showroom and asking if the seats were real leather, but it amused me. I work with many people from all over the world and I think this would not so much outright offend the French but they would be at least slightly indignant about someone asking such a question.

I was half expecting a turd in the box when I opened it, but to be fair they were very communicative and attentive. Every question and request was dealt with promptly and as I mentioned earlier looking at them in different lights they have made a spot on job of matching them.

It is a very well balanced razor, very neutral in that is not head or tail heavy but the length of the handle allows you to make it feel either way by changing your grip on it. It took two weeks in total from ordering and it came Parcelforce 24, all well packaged as you would expect but not a single freebie and thankfully no turd either:lol:

I have both some Renaissance wax (museum grade wax for preservation) I gave both the razor and brush handle a coat of that last and it doesn't leave the handle slippy when wet but resists water and also fingerprints and soaps etc, I use it quite a lot like on the leather in the car and anything I have spent time polishing, it preserves the sine for a long time. It is good stuff but slightly expensive at £10 a pot but it lasts forever.

Just got back from a glorious long weekend in Paris. slim pickings i am afraid, a couple of Monsavon Bowls from a supermarket (1.49 euro each)
and some L'Occitane Lavender Soap (3.50 euro).

All else they had in the Supermarkets were: Gillette Bleus (St Petersburg) (2.19 euro), Williams and Palmolive about 2 euro's apiece, with all the other usual Gillette gear also in attendance.

In L'Occitane there was no sign of the Cade AS (either in CDG or the Louvre store), for those interested.

Went to the Montmatre Sunday market this morning - not a sausage in any sort of disguise of shaving-alia, no razors of any type, no brushes, no mugs - nada, zero, fuckall!

On the positive side, should you be in the market for a Shaving mirror, just about every Chemist has a shed loads along with some rather tasty (i.e. expensive brushes - can't remember the brand, but deffo not Plisson).

henkverhaar said:
AN allegro antique blade sharpener, like this one, but in even better condition:

Note that this picture actually shows the underside of the machine, showing that the seller has no clue...

Hi Henk,
I have one of these winging its way via Ebay (this one actually <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLEGRO-Automatic-Honing-Stropping-Razor-Blades-/300434809380?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item45f34f6224" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLEGRO-Automatic ... 45f34f6224</a><!-- m -->) as we speak. I originally got it as a curiosity but was wondering if they were any use for sharpening SE blades for use in my newly acquired Ever-Ready razor. I have a pack of new SE blades but they are quite expensive so I was wondering about prolonging their life.

Keith

In the colourful end of Edinburgh today... A small pot of Robb HEATOL Chinese Balm... according to the lady that sold it, it's like regular Robb Ointment but hotter...

26% Camphor
13% Peppermint Oil
10% Cajaput Oil <--- WTF is Cajaput oil??
8% Menthol
5% Clove Oil

Original Robb is like Vicks Vaporub on steroids, so this should be fun next time I need to use some :lol:

Back
Top Bottom