A nice pair

Rather than acquisitions, I thought these would be better posted here.

This pair of razors is a considerable extravagance, of course; they're also a permanent reminder of a friend who died a while back. I inherited his tools, and amongst them was a hefty old Sheffield 2" firmer chisel, broken off at the tang - just a billet of tool steel really. From the first time I clapped eyes on one of Gàbor Gunkel's Buddel razors it was only a matter of time before I commissioned one, and so the idea of getting the chisel stump reforged into a mismatched pair of razors was born. Here's the result:

buddel34_1.jpg

buddel35_1.jpg

From start to finish the transaction went very well, culminating in the arrival of a surprisingly large box on my wife's desk (marked "Dick", prompting much ribaldry amongst her colleagues). In a few minutes I'm going to christen one, although I could happily just gloat over them, Gollum-like, for a few more hours. I'm happy to recommend Gàbor's services to anyone looking for a bespoke razor.

Nb. The pictures are by Herr Gunkel. I don't suppose he'll mind me saying that they don't nearly do his work justice.

Wowwwww! They look amazing :mrgreen: Some lovely razors on this gentleman's website, reasonable prices too. Mind you, Neil has some terrific scales on his site as well. Good job I've got a birthday coming up!!! :shave :D

Thanks Fozz, I was bowled over when I first saw pics of Gàbor's work, and his style is immediately recognisable, even with the rescale jobs. Whenever the big 6/8 nips me (that's more often than not actually :roll: ), it reminds me of arguments over the Scrabble board...

Back
Top Bottom