38C vs 34C - is longer better, and other double entendres.

My first DE was a Merkur 34C, and it's become my go-to razor. But I've always thought it a little short, and wondered if I might like the 38C better. Does anyone have experience of both, and if so, which did you prefer?

-sits back and waits for the inevitable "more than a handful is wasted" kinda posts-

Dave

I started with a Merkur 34C. Great razor, but when I realised there was a longer version I bought the 38C. After challenges from about 18 other razors, including straights, it now only competes with my Jagger Chatsworth for regular daily use. I much prefer the longer handle and it looks good.

I definitely favour the longer handled models. I feel that I have more control over them. I don't have huge hands, in fact they're pretty small, but I find (here it comes) the extra length to be useful.

Ian

Theres also the 23C version - Same head but long thin handle. Doesn't have quite the Sledge Hammer feel of the 38C.
Not that that is an issue.. i have the Slant Hammer in my rotation, just adding to the mix.

Hi CDave,
I always get on better with a long handled version, just seems to suit me better. Which I do appreciate doesn't mean it'll work for you. I sometimes used to nick myself with the short handled Merkur slant, but then moved on to a long handled slant which gives me a way better (and safer) result.

JohnnyO.

So the way I see it, you guys are saying I need at least TWO new razors, the 38C and a slant of some sort.

You're all just enablers, aren't you?

cheese_dave said:
So the way I see it, you guys are saying I need at least TWO new razors, the 38C and a slant of some sort.

You're all just enablers, aren't you?

Never make singular purchases, reduce your carbon footprint and get as much delivered in one hit.

I’m also tempted with the 38c, recently purchased the Futur which is a bloody good razor. But I still give the EJ Chatsworth the edge. Probably because it was my first real DE and it’s hard to get a bad shave from it (blade dependant).

38C was my first DE (well, apart from a Wilkinson Classic :? ), i then picked up a 34C off t'bay because it came effectively free with a blade sampler.

I really liked both, and the heaviness of the 38C really worked well as a first DE. OK, so i sold it and kept the 34C, purely because my shaving technique had me 'choking down' (a golfing term - means moving your grip further down the shaft towards the head :shock: ) on the 38C so the extra handle was a waste.

Do i regret it? yes, should have sold the 34C instead :(

Dave, buy a 38C, just don't get the satin handle version you probably won't regret it ;) :)

I (seem to and probably do) have a cartload of razors but I always return to the 34c - in its current partnership with Shark blades it seems to give the complete shave for me.

You can't have too many though. That's the rationale and I'm sticking to it.

The 34c handle suits me perfectly. I had a 23c (gave it to Blyth Spirit jnr) but I always felt that I had a spare little finger whilst using it.

A Muhle R41 OC or an EJ DE89L have handles long enough for me.

see i started out with the merkur 1904... and a fantastic little thing it was too.. It showed me that for once, shaves could be a pleasure. The cheap boots plastic handled DE razor i had up until then used to just tear up my face.

But i found that even though i have fairly small hands, the size of the 1904 meant i was getting sore trying to hold it right. So i got the 23C

its the exact same head as the 1904 (not quite the same as the HD/34C because it's only a two piece and the 1904/23C are three piece designs. The 23C shaves identically to my 1904, but has a longer handle for control.

But i fancy the EJ chatsworth now, because its the same head again, but with a handle to match my brush (ivory)

Back
Top Bottom