3 Reviewers Wanted!

Rev-O said:
My "Musk" came today.

First off, a big thank-you to Martin for the freebie. A very kind offer.

Very interesting smell: sweet, slightly smokey with a sharp and burnt bitterness. There's some vanilla in there (?) and maybe some sort of pseudo-sandalwood but I'm finding the strange sweetness too sickly.

Along with The Rev, a big thank you to Professor Blighty. The Rev is there with the description. Took a quick sniff and woah. That is strong! Getting a big hit of Cinnamon (?) coming through.

It's not very similar to, but it does remind me of the Paco Rabanne (sorry, don't remeber them name) purple coloured splash. In the sense that both are sickly sweet.

Going to try it tomorrow morning as the Profs effort deserves a proper trial.

Will update in 2-3 days.

I threw a bit of this on as a cologne yesterday (I'm not sure I'm brave enough to use it as an AS yet....) and it worked well. I'm struggling to describe the scent still, but I can't detect any cinnamon as mentioned by sj above. One thing that really impressed me though was the longevity, I put it on before work about 2pm yesterday, and when I went to bed about 12 hours later it was still very noticeable!

This works both ways though - the bottle lid had come unscrewed and a small amount had leaked out into the box, I've kept the box for as and when I PIF it on, but now my whole wardrobe smells of Musk. A lot. :lol:

quattrojames said:
I only have two 5ml sample bottles, but will fill them and PIF them to the first two people to PM me :hungrig

Only one has gone, if anyone else fancies the second let me know.

Mine arrived this morning.

Firstly, i would like to also thank the Prof for the kind freebie. Unfortunately there was some substantial leakage on route (I imagine either RM or BFPO being rather heavy handed!), but i have been able to get a smell....in fact my whole office smells of "Musk" :lol:

Essentially i was expecting a heavy rather masculine smell (from no basis whatsoever, but that is what Musk says to me), but this is a very sweet smelling Cologne. Personally not to my taste as it has an almost perfumy scent to me. I will be taking it home tonight, as it may well be something SWMBO may like to wear. Also, if anyone else fancies giving this a shot, as originally stated, PM me and i shall send it on.

Again, thanks for letting me sample one of your goods, i am just sorry i wasn't personally keen on the scent. It won't put me off trying others of yours though. ;)

Cheers,

Epilogue: after 6 hours the sharp (synthetic?) smell goes, leaving a not unpleasant musky vanilla - warm and manly.

But as a whole, still not really my sort of thing.

BTW, has the Prof disappeared from our little forum? If so, doubtless as a result of his grilling from Hunny!

I missed out on the original offer and wouldn't mind a try so if anyone has some spare I'd love to give it a try.

Jovan musk is my favourite deo spray - used to use it all the time a number of years ago. Then I found some in my local boots about 3 months ago and bought 3 cans!!

Right,

I got my hands on some and have been wearing it for a while.

Firstly I have to say that I am impressed with the musk within the scent. It almost reminds me of the basenotes of some top end colognes that I have tried in the past. So for that it gets a well done.

I can pick up ginger in the scent however it has way too much sweetness for me. Strange as it sounds, the sweetness (probably plus the nutmeg) makes it smell a little like popcorn. There must be some form of synthetics in here because it has a sharpness in it which I'd normally contribute to aldehydes. This sharpness gives it a "magic tree spice" sort of smell from the original application. That died down quickly and I can smell the musk trying to fight through the overall sweetness of this cologne but the sweetness rules all.

For a home made effort I'd say this was pretty good. There are mass market scents out there which ask for £30+ a bottle and don't have the longevity (or even the strength) of this cologne.

To market it towards a forum like ours (i.e. men who like splash ons) I'd be keen to remove scents like ginger and nutmeg and replace them with top notes like bergamot and neroli (for that classic cologne feel) and try and get maybe a cedarwood note to balance with the musk. Either that or try making a Rosewater + White musk (for the lighter fellas out there).

Give it a try if you can, you might love it. I can fully appreciate the work which has gone into this cologne but the non-musk aspects of the cologne just dont work for me.

P.S.

quattrojames said:
My first impression is it smells quite 'biscuity' - and not as 'Brut' like as I was expecting

I know what you mean by 'biscuity' that is one of the characteristics of the grey musk (I think). The basenote of Himalaya by Creed has a little of the biscuity about it whcih I put down to the musk in that.

First of all I would like to thank everyone who took part in the musk trial. (Some brave souls on here), and also thank you for what I consider to be very honest reviews.

I think though that the vote is in now, and I won't be making that anymore, unless someone particularly asks for it, so I'll have to open the back gate and let the goat go. I was getting tired squeezing his anal glands twice a day for you guys anyway! :lol:

I've used it as an aftershave tonight, it works better as that than a cologne for me. Well it did until I read the bit about the anal glands :shock:

Well done to Andy, for being able to translate an aroma to words with more literacy than me!

Prof is there any chance of a sample of your dragons blood cologne as i love this scent..i have the mama bears soap and was wondering what it is like compared to this..many thanks slash. ;)

Dont bother sending sample i bid and won on the ebay listing you had up...had a voucher to use so 6 quid for the 2 sounded good...look forward to trying when i get back of my hols.. :D

Well, it's arrived, a whopping great bottleful too. Which is doubly generous since it's obvious that a little of this will go a very long way indeed. Since I only put some of this on my arm a hour ago it's early days yet, but I can well believe others' observations about the longevity of the scent which has faded not one jot yet.

I may revise my opinion, but it's pretty much in line with what the other reviewers have said: a well made product but it's the sweetness which strikes me most, and I don't think that it suits me, at least not on a daily basis. It'll be interesting to see whether I notice the same change in the character as Ollie did after a lengthy drying down period. You'll notice that I've made no attempt to describe the scent: I'm thanking my lucky stars that Andy got in there first since he really has a talent for it, and my attempts are always risible as long term members will confirm.

Here's some good news for you though Professor: my wife (Spartacus) is very enthusiastic - her first comment was "Ooh, I like that"! and she's still cooing about it. You did say it was a unisex fragrance, after all. Apparently it reminds her of something from her childhood, but just what escapes her (I suggested a madeleine soaked in tea, but no, it's nothing so cliched, she says). So it looks like you have a market for your cologne, Prof, if you ever fancy putting your rubber gloves on again.

Finally, I feel a bit of a heel for responding so late to this (I did give due warning though), so if anyone fancies a sample of this, PM me and I'll redeem myself a bit. Best be quick though: bottle shortage.

I'm glad you like it too Andy, my wife was of the same opinion as yours it seems! Did you use it as a cologne or AS? I much preferred it as an AS I must admit, it seemed to mellow the scent a bit but with no loss of longevity.

I've PIF'd two bottles of this, so there should be one more review still to come (I only posted it today so it will be a few days I'm sure) ;)

Back
Top Bottom