1941 Gillette Ranger Tech Review

Hiya,

I believe this was the first type of super speed offered by Gillette back in 1941. It's one of the rarer Gillette models, since it was in production less than six months. Surprisingly though, it's not as expensive as it might be, and one in good shaving condition can be found for under $30.

Over the years I've tried a bunch of various super speeds and as a rule they just aren't for me. Even being extremely careful and paying close attention doesn't eliminate the spots of red I sometimes have after using one. They're also not especially comfortable on my face. Not a good fit, for whatever the reason.

So a few years ago I ran across a Ranger Tech and bought the thing. It was in nice shape and the price was right and so how could I resist. I figured to probably sell the thing for a few bucks profit and done deal. It looks pretty much like a 1940s type, which I don't like to use, and I wasn't optimistic about trying it out.

Well, it turned out to be a razor that's now in my rotation. Strangest thing, but the Ranger performs pretty darn well. Believe me, I was all set to give this thing a new home, but this is a different sort of super speed.

The finish is nicer on a Ranger than other SS types, and I do admit to liking no endcaps on a razor. It weighs about the same as the others, so I'd guess the balance is similar. I can't say why this razor fits me so much better than the other super speed types I've used over the years, but it sure does.

The Ranger Tech was only made for a short time, but they're surprisingly affordable. One in good shaving condition will usually sell for $30 or so, and maybe a few bucks more with the proper case included.

The Ranger in the two pics is on the left side. It's the one without end caps.

Attachments

• ranger tech and ss 1.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 254
  • ranger tech and SS.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 245
  • ranger tech and box.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 241
Re: 1941 Gillette Ranger Tech

JohnnyO said:
Some really marvellous things were produced in the forties !!!

Including >>>>>>>>>> JohnnyO. :lol:

Hi there,

Yep, I agree with you about the extremely rare and hard to find JohnnyO model produced in the 1940's sometime. Very little info on those......kind of a strange deal really.

I've seen a few pics over the years, and actually saw one in person a few years back at a flea market (of all places). The ones in the pictures looked sorta beat up, and the other I saw was beat to hell and looked like it might not even function properly anymore. I didn't want to even touch the thing.

Thanks for bringing that up,

Martin

I picked one up within the last few weeks and concur with everything you say @dodgy. Somehow, it's just not like Gillette's other TTOs. Most enjoyable.

... in tonight's SOTD pjgh wrote said:
I've been taken a bit by surprise with this Ranger Tech. I had not expected to like it, what with it being for all intents and purposes an unfinished Rocket. I'm not that bothered about TTO razors, having built up a solid collection of Gillettes to sell them all off an buy back in a British Rocket HD a couple of years later out of curiosity. Yep! Not that bothered about TTOs, but this one is the execption that proves that rule.

Interesting, I have been looking at several in the past few days, I assumed they would shave the same as the early Super Speed.

None of the early Gillette TTO's had endcaps, never saw a need for them personally, like hubcaps on a car.

Hubcaps. That's a good analogy @TobyC

I can't quite put my finger on what makes it different. I had a google for some thoughts on this razor and that led me right back here and to this thread, which is everything I would have written about the Ranger Tech. What I don't like about other TTOs seems not to be with the Ranger. Curious. Yep! I've been quite taken aback by how I've clicked with it.

I can't quite put my finger on what makes it different. I had a google for some thoughts on this razor and that led me right back here and to this thread, which is everything I would have written about the Ranger Tech. What I don't like about other TTOs seems not to be with the Ranger. Curious. Yep! I've been quite taken aback by how I've clicked with it.
Hiya doin Paul.

Certainly, the Ranger finish is shinier than other 'superspeeds' and it's maybe a tad heavier. If I wasn't so lazy I'd get out a Parat and compare em just because. I do like using that razor also.....maybe more than the Ranger.

Now you need to complete the set! Yep, the 1941-42 Milord Tech's the gold colored version. No end caps and comes in a case only labeled Milord though.

I have to say that 12 years later and maybe better technique has shown me an appreciation for superspeeds like the 1958 TV Special.

I remember now what you talked me buying into years ago that almost kilt me!!!! Yes, this was during your off the charts ability to use many dangerous tools as an actual choice. Your descriptions of em never said anything about zero comfort or lack of shaving drama, but only "efficient". Yep, the newer members had to be warned about your SOTD comedies.

You even convinced me the Keen Kutter SE was manageable......oh right. Heh, you've mellowed a bunch now it seems.

Martin

Last edited:
I should pull together a greatest hits of Wacky Razors.

The Keen Kutter with the injector blade was inspired! Absolutely safe! Certainly compared to the AC blade in the Gillette Techmatic :eek:

I'll sit my Parat next to the Ranger later on and do a compare/contrast ...

EDIT: Not a great deal of difference. Weight? 53g for the Ranger and 60g for the Parat.

Last edited:
Hiya doin Paul.

Certainly, the Ranger finish is shinier than other 'superspeeds' and it's maybe a tad heavier. If I wasn't so lazy I'd get out a Parat and compare em just because. I do like using that razor also.....maybe more than the Ranger.

Now you need to complete the set! Yep, the 1941-42 Milord Tech's the gold colored version. No end caps and comes in a case only labeled Milord though.

I have to say that 12 years later and maybe better technique has shown me an appreciation for superspeeds like the 1958 TV Special.

I remember now what you talked me buying into years ago that almost kilt me!!!! Yes, this was during your off the charts ability to use many dangerous tools as an actual choice. Your descriptions of em never said anything about zero comfort or lack of shaving drama, but only "efficient". Yep, the newer members had to be warned about your SOTD comedies.

You even convinced me the Keen Kutter SE was manageable......oh right. Heh, you've mellowed a bunch now it seems.

Martin
Speaking of the '58 TV Special; I can't explain it, but I get a better shaving experience from that razor (US version) than from other Super Speeds. I didn't buy it on purpose exactly, it came along in a batch of razors I bought to get something else, I was pleasantly surprised! Slightly different handle is the only obvious difference.

Well, ya buncha bastages, I bought one!

s-l1600.jpg

Well, ya buncha bastages, I bought one!

s-l1600.jpg
its an honour to see when you buy a shaving product as i find you go for the tried and tested route and a wise man i must say :)

p.s whenever ive seen those tech ranger razors always reminds me of the hd rocket

Back
Top Bottom