1912, 1914, 1924 this is getting complicated

First day saw failure, did not get the angle right, result was not a very close shave

First day Afternoon second shave :)
better, listened to the sound of shaving, close but not superclose shave

Second day
tried shim and was sent back to failure state of day one, seemed to be a very narrow best angle for a close and smooth shave, decided I need more SE shaves before experimenting with shim

First day saw failure, did not get the angle right, result was not a very close shave

First day Afternoon second shave :)
better, listened to the sound of shaving, close but not superclose shave

Second day
tried shim and was sent back to failure state of day one, seemed to be a very narrow best angle for a close and smooth shave, decided I need more SE shaves before experimenting with shim
That Gem Junior is a Later variant is Mild Compared to earlier Models..The Gem Junior 1912s got Milder as they went through the Timeline..And Yeah the Angle is very Subtle on this particular Model..:)

Billy

Third day: better

Time to read thread again from the start to make a list of Mild to Wild for an "I really need one of these"-plan:)

Last edited:
I've just given my Micromatic family a run through and found all lacking with the exception of the (rarer) 17 tooth Clog Pruf. The Clog Pruf replaced the open comb and dealt with some of its failings, namely clogging up. Both the 17 tooth and 13 tooth are good and stood out about all the rest of the Micromatics. If you want in on the Micromatics, I'd start with the Clog Pruf (and I'm sure @Dave-the-rave would agree :D).

However ...

You're shaving with an American 1912. Bland :rolleyes:

1914s come with their own problems. The earlier ones will often be so worn that they will no longer hold a blade. What you're looking out for is one with hooks to retain the blades rather than stubs. If you buy one, ensure that you can see the blade edge hooks. The later types with the hooks are sound.

1924s are all good! Get a brass one if you can as shaving with brass is just lovely.

1912s ... back to 1912s. Go British. Chain Link handle. That'll be '30s on and what I consider the classic 1912.

Congrats Paul. Ya got there in the end.

th

So brass 1924, Clog Pruf and British 1912 with Chain Link handle (as a keen cyclist chain link handle sounds just perfect :))

Last edited:
Congrats Paul. Ya got there in the end.

Looking back, I've only had a mere handful of shaves with the Micromatics as I wasn't really taken with any of them. The open comb remains "meh!" certainly not deserving of its reputation; the 1924 pips it in every way, closer and smoother. The Flying Wings are gentler than even the Featherweights, which I have a good length of experience with, and seem unable to pull a one pass shave to anything like the level I'm used to. The Clog Pruf is certainly the darling of that range. Ugly, mind. Somehow it reminds me of the Mayor in 'Nightmare Before Christmas'.

From the American market, the Damaskeene does deserve the love it's given. GEM made some lovely razors through the '20s, but by the '30s when they dropped the 1912 and replaced with the Micromatic I think they really lost something. The razors that followed: Heavy Flat Top, Featherweight, Pushbutton & Contour are all okay, they're modern looking for their era but for us rabid retrophiles ... no 1912. Yes, the GEM Junior and Star 1912s continued through the '30s, but they were a shadow of their British counterparts.

@Nisse - as well as a British 1912, have a look for an older American 1912 under the GEM brand. One with a short handle and curved cap should do the trick. It's essentially the same design as the Damaskeene, but without Damaskeene.

IMG_2309.JPG

Looking back, I've only had a mere handful of shaves with the Micromatics as I wasn't really taken with any of them. The open comb remains "meh!" certainly not deserving of its reputation; the 1924 pips it in every way, closer and smoother. The Flying Wings are gentler than even the Featherweights, which I have a good length of experience with, and seem unable to pull a one pass shave to anything like the level I'm used to. The Clog Pruf is certainly the darling of that range. Ugly, mind. Somehow it reminds me of the Mayor in 'Nightmare Before Christmas'.

From the American market, the Damaskeene does deserve the love it's given. GEM made some lovely razors through the '20s, but by the '30s when they dropped the 1912 and replaced with the Micromatic I think they really lost something. The razors that followed: Heavy Flat Top, Featherweight, Pushbutton & Contour are all okay, they're modern looking for their era but for us rabid retrophiles ... no 1912. Yes, the GEM Junior and Star 1912s continued through the '30s, but they were a shadow of their British counterparts.

@Nisse - as well as a British 1912, have a look for an older American 1912 under the GEM brand. One with a short handle and curved cap should do the trick. It's essentially the same design as the Damaskeene, but without Damaskeene.

IMG_2309.JPG
Aye to all of that. My preference was the 24 until I found the 09. It's the only one I own now. Nice balance of aggression, smoothness and an antique feel to it. I'd still recommend the Clog Pruf as a start point for anyone interested in them.

... as well as a British 1912, have a look for an older American 1912 under the GEM brand. One with a short handle and curved cap should do the trick. It's essentially the same design as the Damaskeene, but without Damaskeene.

IMG_2309.JPG

Can I ask how you would characterise the flat-cap (heh) version in terms of aggression – more or less so than the curved cap? I recently bought one otherwise exactly the same as the GEM in the photo.

Can I ask how you would characterise the flat-cap (heh) version in terms of aggression – more or less so than the curved cap? I recently bought one otherwise exactly the same as the GEM in the photo.

Curved cap seems to get a closer shave while feeling smoother ... it's a really nice razor to use. You know like when you've driven a dozen, say, VW Golfs from MK1, MK2, MK3 etc, but that MK1 just feels ... well, more raw but nicer somehow? That's it with these older curved cap razors.

IMG_2309.JPG
+ 1..To the 1912..One Pass Kid..:p:D:p

Billy

Back
Top Bottom