SOTD: Saturday 27 April - Friday 3 May 2024.

29 April

Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Edwin Jagger travel
Edwin Jagger DE89
Feather Hi-Stainless
Proraso Sensitive balm

D5260594-4108-4FF4-B4F7-5E0459431E92.jpeg
A very nice shave all round. The Fat created a much better lather this morning and the Feather still feels good and sharp. The result was smooth and comfortable.
For information, the DE89 + ATT handle weighs 56g, my standard knurled handled DE89 weighs 64g and my standard chrome Mühle R89 weighs 70g on my digital kitchen scales. The extra weight in the Mühle, compared to the standard DE89, is in both the handle and cap and the baseplates weigh about the same. Does this make any difference in the way they shave? No, I don’t think so, but, then again, I don’t think heavier steel handles really do anything to improve the shave quality of these heads either.
I do like the way this frankenrazor looks though :).

29/04/24
Pre - Dove Original Beauty Cream Bar
Brush - Simpson Duke 2 Best Badger - #2
Soap - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Razor - Supply Mirror Polished V2 - 2Dot
Blade - Personna Injector
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
A/S - Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Wk 18 (3).jpg
A Lovely shave with the Supply today, the Blade smoothing out on shave #3, the angle i use is exactly the same as if i was using a Schick injector, with the "topcap" just about flat to the face which i feel, gets the blade slicing stubble rather than chopping through it if the handle is lowered towards the safety guard.
3 Passes with the 2 dot plate delivering a very smooth, comfortable, BBS finish.
Enjoy your day all.

29/4/24

Soap - MdC Vetyver
Brush - Yaqi G4 20mm
Razor/Blade 1 - Ever Ready 1912/Gem
Razor/Blade 2 - Gillette Rocket HD/Suneko
AS - Williams Aqua Velva

1000014186.jpg

I picked up a nasty ingrown on my last shave, that part of my face hurt for a few days so I had 4 days worth of growth to mow down. The 1912 has become my tool of choice when I have this amount of growth, but I can't manage a second pass with this razor. Tbh, I don't think this razor needs a second pass but I had a few scragglers that need to be addressed, so the Rocket HD didn't have much work to do.

Second to last shave for Artistan April. I've enjoyed using these soaps but for whatever reason I've never really taken to them, I will enjoy using my production soaps again.

A great shave though. No weepers or ingrowns, unlike the last shave I had!

Have a good start to the week gents.

Monday 29th April

AP1GczPWZp4Y142EMNRasi7Mf9AxbVR_CQRopk7FF8xeTQU3jQWQQdgdn7QO9jE0QW22954g1jjejcDY8U6Q8ib7muOIb8_7hRhu6Jzn7T7GneC0eC8HgMQrOpuJq5hPxjITUkxkzqeORX6Vw4_jfh641evyVA=w800

Captain Claptrap Luxurious Shaving Soap & Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog Pure Bristle
Clix Ez-Flow Safety Razor & Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli) NOS (1)
Old Spice Musk for Men (Vintage) Aftershave

The month of May hits us mid-week and so I'll be running with Milky May proper from next Monday. I am going to be playing a little twist on the theme by also using kit that has been generously gifted to me by folks on this forum - you know, "the milk of human kindness".

... and so my very gracious thanks to @donnie_darko for giving me his stash of Israeli Personna blades which I happily dropped into my newly acquired Clix razor. What a joy that combination is! I reckon the razor will be a delight with any blade. I find it somewhere between the smoothness (to me) of the ASR double edge razors and the efficiency of the Gillette Tech; in many respects, it put me very much in mind of the bakelite Gillette Tech, what with the deeper safety bar which gives the razor a very intuitive angle without overtly stating is (as per the Personna Glydex).

Two passes and a near 10/10 shave which I reckon will be achieved tomorrow now I've had a go and the blade will be on that sweet-spot second shave.

I'll ping @Satanfriendly here because he is one of the few that I know has used the Captain Flipflop shaving soap (no, I will not say something as proposterous as Captain Fawcett) which I picked their Luxurious variant. Their formulation is (well, certainly was last year) the same formulation as the very excellent DR Harris - this year, I'm seeing those 2024 formulation hallmarks but otherwise much the same formulation which I reckon we'll see new or forthcoming batches of DR Harris moving to.

Phenomenally good soap, both in performance and scent which is about as strong as I like to go without it spilling over into scented candle territory. On the scent, this could well be the new Old Spice ... but which I DO NOT mean it is a clone, but it has that effect. It's green, there's spice and there's amber - it's everything a damn good vintage Musk trotted out, which includes Old Spice proper, Old Spice Musk, Coty Musk, Jovan Musk, the list goes on. So, the splash of Old Spice Musk for Men was a perfect partner.

Perfect razor/blade combo, perfect soap/brush combo for lather and perfect scent partners between the soap and the splash. Is this my perfect shave? It could be ... well, one of them.

20240429_202947.jpg

My Artisinal April Shave and it's Menthol Monday today consisted of...
Prep Proraso preshave balm.
Brush Cyclotrode X Synthetic.
Soap Signature Soap Eboracum.
Menthol boost Stirling Menthol drops.
Razor Blackland Vector OC
Blade Kai Captain titan mild Pink (2)
Aftershave Yardley Gold 1980's.

As we draw to an end of Artisinal April I went back to my Favourite Signature soap and added some Stirling Menthol drops to make it qualified for Menthol Monday.
The Vector gave me a superb glass finish with a 2 pass shave.
Now the new brush was a nice surprise, it really whipped up a rich creamy lather and felt lovely on the face, it had just the right amount of backbone for me.
Once I finish with Artisinal April I will be busy putting all my new brushes through various types of soaps etc.
Quick whip over the head with the Vector and a rub down with Argan oil and I am softer than an Angels breast.
Enjoy the evening everyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom