Your first time - nervous?

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm considering taking the next step & trying straight shaving (probably go with a Dovo shavette...)

Now this is a large step from DE and for me, fairly daunting (having seen too many horror & gangster films), but I was wondering - how did you feel the very first time you prepped, lathered then picked up the straight for your first attempt?

Is it just me who feels a tad nervous at the prospect?

Just curious...

I was a tad apprehensive, but that was part of the fun and if it were the same as DE shaving we wouldn't be interested in switching I guess.

To put your mind at ease my first shave was with a feather AC SS, and it went really well with just a couple of weepers. I think the trouble will come a few shaves in when you get a bit over confident!!! :)

Matt

They are far less dangerous than they are made out to be and are actually a pretty inefficient tool for slicing despite the imagery depicted by Hollywood. Just study the guides and take small steps to begin with and you'll be fine.

Depending on how close your sideburns are to the tache and goatee, you might find a traditional straight a bit cumbersome, therefore a smaller shavette might suit you better anyway.

Starting with the WTG passes on cheeks and below jaw line is pretty straightforward - try stretching the skin up whilst dropping your jaw and you will easily get past thje jawline making it much easier to carry on down the neck.

I was nervous but it's actually a lot easier than I anticipated. I've had 5 shavette shaves now and still haven't cut myself!

I have found the Dovo with the long Dovo blades to be much better than a DE blade, not that the DE blade is bad, it's just the Dovo blade is better. Plus it seems much more forgiving?

Just crack on with it, take your time and you'll be fine.

UKRob said:
Starting with the WTG passes on cheeks and below jaw line is pretty straightforward - try stretching the skin up whilst dropping your jaw and you will easily get past thje jawline making it much easier to carry on down the neck.

That's what I was thinking - was given advice elsewhere that I should begin with ATG from the bottom of the throat upwards... did not like that idea at all! :s

Leslie145 said:
UKRob said:

That's what I was thinking - was given advice elsewhere that I should begin with ATG from the bottom of the throat upwards... did not like that idea at all! :s

There may well be some inbreeds whose hair grows in that direction. They probably play the banjo as well.

Hi mate
I started off with a cheap Shavette off flea bay. Then moved onto a Dovo Shavette now onto a straight,I would echo what the other folks have said,but WOULD also add treat what ever your using with RESPECT, these things aren't toys,but after a few goes your confidence will grow as well as your technique.and take your time Hope this helps
Regards. Tony

UKRob said:
Leslie145 said:
UKRob said:

There may well be some inbreeds whose hair grows in that direction. They probably play the banjo as well.

Post of the week! :)

I know I looked like someone who had been in a scrap with Wolverine. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it you do get a superior shave :)

Take the leap of faith, just remember, any mistakes and the razor will tell you :)

Used the SS last night for the first time. Chickened out and only did my cheeks. Scary, but satisfying [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. Doing cheeks only for a week or two till I get better or braver [DIZZY FACE]

Back
Top Bottom