Your EDC functions check list

How many of these tasks/functions can you perform w/ just your EDC kit?

• Open a bottle cap w/out hitting the bottle on the side of the table, etc ;-)

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Cut open a box / sharpen a pencil

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Screwdriver (flathead/slotted, philips)

• Write a note on a piece of paper

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Entertain yourself for 30 mins (spinner, music, etc)

• Light up a dark room (non-fire)

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Start a fire

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Reply to a post on TSR

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Pay for a coffee

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Tell what time it is

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
It's actually pretty simple: it's illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason. The exception is a (non-locking) folding knife with a blade length not in excess of three inches.

"Good reason" demands a specific purpose, "it might come in handy" would not count. So if you're going fishing and have a bait knife in your kit, that's OK, as is taking a knife to or from a shop, going camping where you may need it for firewood, that kind of thing. It's also permissible if it's on religious grounds, e.g. a Sikh's kirpan, or as part of national dress, e.g. a sgian dubh with Highland dress. It's also OK to carry knives that you need for your job to and from work. Basically it needs to be a good reason that a court would agree with.

Even with a UK legal knife, common sense applies as you could still get into trouble if the police believe that you may intend to use it as a weapon. Going to a football match? Leave it at home. It is never legal to carry a knife or any other implement for self defence.

Thank you, I had no idea.

14803696152621030035151.jpg
Well, here's my keyRING (does anyone actually use a chain?).

Clockwise from top:
Keys (obv)
MecArmy torch (superb, if pricey, torch, bought after someone recommended it on here)
Swiss Army Knife (yeah, I know we all like a Gucci, macho blade like a Spyderco, but an SAK has a lot more uses - scissors, screwdriver, nail file, tweezers, in addition to a blade)
Portable battery (seeing how dependent we are on our smartphones these days, I'm surprised I don't see these mentioned more often. This one is a Pulsepak and puts about 14% on my S6)
Pen / screen stylus (telescopes to the size shown)
Lighter (True Utility fire stash)
Emergency cash (£20 note in a waterproof metal capsule. I always think that those Yank videos where their idea of EDC is a bunch of guns and knives kinda misses the point)

The carabiner is a cheap Alpkit one to make it easy to detach items. The surprising thing is that this little lot has a lot of functionality but is actually a very pocketable small handful. Together with the dog and bone, wallet and reading glasses (Nooz - Google them - great product) that's my EDC.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
View attachment 22320
Well, here's my keyRING (does anyone actually use a chain?).

Clockwise from top:
Keys (obv)
MecArmy torch (superb, if pricey, torch, bought after someone recommended it on here)
Swiss Army Knife (yeah, I know we all like a Gucci, macho blade like a Spyderco, but an SAK has a lot more uses - scissors, screwdriver, nail file, tweezers, in addition to a blade)
Portable battery (seeing how dependent we are on our smartphones these days, I'm surprised I don't see these mentioned more often. This one is a Pulsepak and puts about 14% on my S6)
Pen / screen stylus (telescopes to the size shown)
Lighter (True Utility fire stash)
Emergency cash (£20 note in a waterproof metal capsule. I always think that those Yank videos where their idea of EDC is a bunch of guns and knives kinda misses the point)

The carabiner is a cheap Alpkit one to make it easy to detach items. The surprising thing is that this little lot has a lot of functionality but is actually a very pocketable small handful. Together with the dog and bone, wallet and reading glasses (Snooz - Google them - great product) that's my EDC.

Thoughts?

Very nice setup
I like the carabiner as a multi-quick release.
Agree about the MecArmy - that little guy packs a punch. I end up charging it about once a week or so.

Here's a comparison of some models - with a very tiny split-pea one that I rather like

About $13 and up depending on material
https://countycomm.com/collections/fi

Dear God, you're at it again! :eek:
I saw those a few months ago and had persuaded myself that they weren't significantly better than the cheaper True Utility items. Now I'm pondering a trade-up all over again. I tell you; if this goes to checkout, I'm sending you the bill.

$14.95 for brass split pea.

That may be the case on your side of the pond. It retails for £19.95 over here - over twice as much as the True Utility.

More seriously, I can't see the point of the split pea. You're talking about a tiny difference in weight/size between that and the "full size" item but the smaller version will hold less fuel and be quite difficult to handle, given its tiny size.

That may be the case on your side of the pond. It retails for £19.95 over here - over twice as much as the True Utility.

More seriously, I can't see the point of the split pea. You're talking about a tiny difference in weight/size between that and the "full size" item but the smaller version will hold less fuel and be quite difficult to handle, given its tiny size.

Fair point and this video actually backs up that drawback in that it might actually be a tad too small:

Fair point and this video actually backs up that drawback in that it might actually be a tad too small:

I can't stream the video at the moment but I'm guessing that the problem is simple mechanics. When you flick the wheel with your thumb, you need sufficient length in the lighter to be able grip it properly with your fingers, otherwise the thumb strike simply throws the entire lighter from between your fingers. It's the same reason (well, almost) that you don't have mini matches.

I can't stream the video at the moment but I'm guessing that the problem is simple mechanics. When you flick the wheel with your thumb, you need sufficient length in the lighter to be able grip it properly, otherwise the thumb strike simply throws the entire lighter from between your fingers. It's the same reason (well, almost) that you don't have mini matches.

yup yup..the requirement to basically have to use both hands

yup yup..the requirement to basically have to use both hands

Ha ha! It's the perennial problem with miniaturisation. Scientists can make lots of stuff incredibly small but it still has to be actually operated by human beings with their big, clumsy paws and rubbish eyesight.

I have to say that the larger Maratec looks like a quality bit of kit...

Ha ha! It's the perennial problem with miniaturisation. Scientists can make lots of stuff incredibly small but it still has to be actually operated by human beings with their big, clumsy paws and rubbish eyesight.

I have to say that the larger Maratec looks like a quality bit of kit...

Do yourself a favour and never look through the EDC kits of this guy - I mean it, don't. Don't look.

Back
Top Bottom