Your EDC functions check list

How many of these tasks/functions can you perform w/ just your EDC kit?

• Open a bottle cap w/out hitting the bottle on the side of the table, etc ;-)

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Cut open a box / sharpen a pencil

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Screwdriver (flathead/slotted, philips)

• Write a note on a piece of paper

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Entertain yourself for 30 mins (spinner, music, etc)

• Light up a dark room (non-fire)

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Start a fire

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Reply to a post on TSR

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Pay for a coffee

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Tell what time it is

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
I have the Honeybee version of this knife. Still within the UK limits of legal carry, however I do question this. You can still 'slash' and also 'stab' someone causing serious damage, in particular the neck area so Safe carry... hmmm.

UK legality doesn't necessarily equate to "impossible to use as a weapon" last time I checked there was no law against rocks. With that said, intent covers whether it's a weapon or not. Carry a pool cue because you're on the way to play pool and it's sporting equipment. Carry the same thing intending to use it in a fight and it's an offensive weapon.

Most of the items on the list I've achieved with a Leatherman Juice and a smart phone, including pay for coffee. I suppose if you had a Samsung you could add "start a fire" to that too. ;) I do usually carry a small torch though as it's handier and more effective that using my phone, although that does work in a pinch.

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for start a fire, we must have a lot of non-smokers.

I've a couple of locking blades and sheath knives, all used for Scouting that I can't even take on a Scout campsite as they have public access.

Legally you can carry a fixed or locking blade if you have good reason to do so, even in a public place. Whether the Scout Association interprets that differently and bans knives from their sites is another matter.

Legally you can carry a fixed or locking blade if you have good reason to do so, even in a public place. Whether the Scout Association interprets that differently and bans knives from their sites is another matter.

Yes good reason, but it's that definition. Personally on site I have a leatherman at all times. Fixed blades go in a tool box, they stay in that and in the boot in the car.

UK legality doesn't necessarily equate to "impossible to use as a weapon" last time I checked there was no law against rocks. With that said, intent covers whether it's a weapon or not. Carry a pool cue because you're on the way to play pool and it's sporting equipment. Carry the same thing intending to use it in a fight and it's an offensive weapon.

Anything can be classed as a weapon if it is not used as intended. Umbrella, 12lb Salmon, Handbag, Hardback Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus combined, a lavvy brush to name but a few

Yes good reason, but it's that definition. Personally on site I have a leatherman at all times. Fixed blades go in a tool box, they stay in that and in the boot in the car.

When I was in the Scouts, which was a long time ago, we cooked everything on fires which needed kindling and slept in Nigers with wooden pegs which occasionally needed replacing. This satisfied the good reason requirement, however we tended to keep a sheath knife in the patrol box along with the saw and axes rather than carrying it about.

If I don't have my phone, I can cover all of them but entertainmyself/reply to post.

I am not trying to be controversial or ask an inappropriate question, just trying to learn. What makes a knife legal/illegal in the UK?

It's actually pretty simple: it's illegal to carry a knife in public without good reason. The exception is a (non-locking) folding knife with a blade length not in excess of three inches.

"Good reason" demands a specific purpose, "it might come in handy" would not count. So if you're going fishing and have a bait knife in your kit, that's OK, as is taking a knife to or from a shop, going camping where you may need it for firewood, that kind of thing. It's also permissible if it's on religious grounds, e.g. a Sikh's kirpan, or as part of national dress, e.g. a sgian dubh with Highland dress. It's also OK to carry knives that you need for your job to and from work. Basically it needs to be a good reason that a court would agree with.

Even with a UK legal knife, common sense applies as you could still get into trouble if the police believe that you may intend to use it as a weapon. Going to a football match? Leave it at home. It is never legal to carry a knife or any other implement for self defence.

Might have to consider fire making equipment and a knife...

Spoken like a true man. Man... cut things... make fire. :)

I can recommend True Utility's fire stash peanut lighter for the fire making. Not the best quality but perfectly serviceable and small enough to for a keyring. It is surprising how many folk smoke but don't carry a lighter or matches. Especially in summer, I am quite often approached for a light.

Spoken like a true man. Man... cut things... make fire. :)

I can recommend True Utility's fire stash peanut lighter for the fire making. Not the best quality but perfectly serviceable and small enough to for a keyring. It is surprising how many folk smoke but don't carry a lighter or matches. Especially in summer, I am quite often approached for a light.

Here's a comparison of some models - with a very tiny split-pea one that I rather like

About $13 and up depending on material
https://countycomm.com/collections/fi

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice actually

Yeah, reason I'm not entirely sure about the quality is that my first one lasted less than a year, despite only light use. Basically, the ignition unit with the wheel, flint, wick and wadding (that soaks up the fuel) is in a thin metal tube that fits inside the outer capsule. This inner ignition unit simply broke.

Still, they are quite cheap (sub £10, I think) and the second one is still going strong after over a year.

Yeah, reason I'm not entirely sure about the quality is that my first one lasted less than a year, despite only light use. Basically, the ignition unit with the wheel, flint, wick and wadding (that soaks up the fuel) is in a thin metal tube that fits inside the outer capsule. This inner ignition unit simply broke.

Still, they are quite cheap (sub £10, I think) and the second one is still going strong after over a year.

Did you buy the original or the new, updated stainless steel model?
Update: Ah, since it was the inner mechanism that broke the outer shell doesn't really matter.

Damn it, they have a brass split-pea model :D

Back
Top Bottom