Your current Top 5 WINTER Shaving Creams are ?

Hey :icon_razz:

I'm new here, but I'm a shaving cream freak :heart:

Want to hear your shaving cream WINTER Top 5.

Mine:

1. Xpec Unscented
2. Acqua Di Parma Pot
3. Acca Kappa 1869 Pot
4. Simpson Luxury
5. Penhaligon Endymion

Honorable mentions:
Castle Forbes Lavender
Floris 89
Santa Maria Novella (Really is a summer cream)
Musgo Real Lavendar
Penhaligon BB
CF Lime (Really is a summer cream)
DR Harris Almond
AOS Lavender
AOS Sandalwood
Lavanda
O Melhor
TOBS Avocado
TF&H Ultimate
TF&H Rose
GFT Coconut
GFT Almond

Let me hear your Top 5 :icon_lol:

I get perplexed by this 'winter cream' nonsense. If I'm shaving in my own bathroom, I don't really see why the weather outside would influence my choice of cream. I pick my creams at random 365 days a year just based on what I feel like or what is nearest, not because it's hot or cold outside.

I employ the "use what I feel like" method, but not conciously with the weather in mind, I do tend to go for more woody type scents in winter. Fresh scents like lime and anything with menthol in it tend to get left until it gets warmer.

Also, I tend to use soaps more in winter.

Ian

I suppose it has to do with the weather's effect on your skin. Colder weather usually results in drier skin that might benefit from soap/cream that won't dry it out even further. In summer with higher humidity you might prefer something that will cool you down.

I'm really enjoying Mitchell's Wool Fat at the moment for its moisturising properties.

FrankieG said:
I'm really enjoying Mitchell's Wool Fat at the moment for its moisturising properties.

Yep, me too. If I could have only one shaving soap or cream, this would be it. Well, at least at the moment. ;)

Cella is lovely too, though.

PavlovsDog said:
I get perplexed by this 'winter cream' nonsense. If I'm shaving in my own bathroom, I don't really see why the weather outside would influence my choice of cream. I pick my creams at random 365 days a year just based on what I feel like or what is nearest, not because it's hot or cold outside.

This.

at the moment i also go with the "how do i feel right now" way of choosing soap but i have been thinking of just having a seasonal soap. im using vetyver from sharon/nannies and it's a great soap for winter. i was thinking of cella or something lemony for summer. i think this idea will develop as i try more soaps - i have yet to give the MWF a go

Cella ain't a bad wintery scent. All that marzipan-like almondyness brings Christmas cake to mind and its rich and comforting.This stuff is really getting in the way of my 'Buy British' mantra! MWF is luxurious, great value, seems to last forever and I'd happily use it all year round but I'm finding I'm not keen to use the menthol Ingram's cream as its just a bit too cold feeling. Otherwise I really enjoy Ingram's.

Re: RE: Your current Top 5 WINTER Shaving Creams are ?

Helveticum said:
PavlovsDog said:

This.

Agreed. Proraso with extra menthol.

As said, my skin seems to be more dry feeling during the winter, and in general the heat level inside is not quite the same. Radiators heating my apartment up often result in a dryer air inside, which means my skin is also a bit more dry and less thick.

Maybe you have to be from the northern part of Europe to comprehend how this feels....

I just feel a need for a change in scent in general, and prefer thicker more emollient shaving creams during the winter. I also change the fragrances I wear depending on the weather/season. Aquatics in the summer, leather/tobacco/spicy during the winter.

YMMV

I tend to not use mentholated products in Winter for the same reason I don't go out in T shirt and eat salads (Geordie exemption of course applies) ...it just isn't seasonal.

Ya know those AOS cream tubs make perfect twin walled lathering bowls.

Don't take it personal Claus, all's making sense, just as you said - YMMV. For me, just like for PavlovsDog, it's a matter of mood (and if my skin's feeling dry, I just use a moisturiser :)) - which scent to choose. It may be influenced by the ambience, or may not be.

Back
Top Bottom