Yo Shavers!

Hello Hoss/Larkin I would definitely urge you to try a DE razor again. It sounds like you would be able to roll with one pretty easily as you say you like proper shaving soap and a brush. These soaps are formulated to work best with a single blade. Buy a cheap DE razor when you are back in the UK: you cannot go wrong with an Edwin Jagger as you know if you have dealt with them (and you say you have Edwin Jagger Cartridge handles).

Bin the Feathers that come with the razor, get some good smooth blades (anything Russian and you can't go far wrong) and use a light touch and you will be away. I am a new ish recruit to DE (few months) and though I must confess I do still keep a Mach 3 and have a packet of disposables for travel and touch up, the DE is generally a much more satisfying shave.

Oh and I think my Uncle did his jungle training in Belize: interesting little place. How often you in UK?

@matteob Hey man yea lotta British Soldiers in Belize for de Jungle Training (they base is out by airport) and my dad is one of them! Belize was British Honduras and we have more a Caribbean culture than Hispanic though half population is Hispanic Creole and Standard English the main language. We kind of talk like Jamaicans and West Indians in general :) Dad came out with the military and met Mummy and so I came along. Dad dead but Mummy still out in Belize and I spend some time with her and some time in the UK where I have a job doing painting and decorating and handyman stuff. Mummy live in a place called San Ignacio or Cayo in the West near Guatamala. I have Black, Mexican and Maya Indian blood on Mummy side so that is why I was so pissed off with me being called racist. I's mixed blood or Creole myself! It is really nice place not so haat as coast and none of the "flies" (mosquitos) and mess of Belize City or the Shootings. I am trying to write proper English but I slip back in to Creole when there thinking it and so it is like Patois Like. We even have the New Testament in it now coz it is our everyday language. At mods don't give me no shit for pushin religion I not I just givin good example of way I talk day to day.

I gonna give an DE another try when I get to England again and yeah I like Edwin Jagger stuff. I wanna buy British stuff if possible and the quality of they finish is pretty special. The Cartridge I like coz smooth though. When I did try Safety last time the shave was sharp but the blade felt like gritty on my face and the feelings afterwards was like rough as hell: burnin and stuff.

@Hossyhossyguy - The Edwin Jagger razor is quite good. The reason I didn't recommend it above is that I have found that the Parker 24C or 26C is just a bit more comfortable and more efficient, but you certainly could do well with an EJ razor. Another I recommend, with a head just like the Parker, is the Maggard V2 open-comb head: exactly the same head, so far as I can tell. The benefit is the handle: for the same price as the Parker, you get the same head on a good stainless steel handle (of which they sell a selection). But the 24C would do the same job.

@Hossyhossyguy - The Edwin Jagger razor is quite good. The reason I didn't recommend it above is that I have found that the Parker 24C or 26C is just a bit more comfortable and more efficient, but you certainly could do well with an EJ razor. Another I recommend, with a head just like the Parker, is the Maggard V2 open-comb head: exactly the same head, so far as I can tell. The benefit is the handle: for the same price as the Parker, you get the same head on a good stainless steel handle (of which they sell a selection). But the 24C would do the same job.
My 24C gives me no irritation sublime shaves., and your right they are very comforatble to use.

I think you'll like it. The key factors:

a. Use very light pressure, barely enough to keep the razor's head just touching the skin.

b. Keep the razor's handle well away from your face. Focus on keeping the razor's cap just touching the skin and pretty much ignore the guard: it's there if needed. As you move the handle away from your face, you'll reach an angle at which the cutting sound/feel stops. Move the handle closer and the angle at which cutting resumes is close to the optimal angle. Experiment judiciously with the angle, using the cutting sound to tune the angle.

c. Try 3-4 different brands of blades at the outset, then stick with the best of those for a couple of months to perfect your prep and technique without being distracted by blade variability. After a couple of months, you might try one blade of a new brand once a month to see if it's better. Occasionally you will stumble across a brand that seems to take your shave to a whole new level.

Enjoy!

I went with this Parker 24C for first DE. I waiting for it to come from US. It will be delayed by third world bastard Belize customs no doubt and I have pay twice the price but it no was to expensive.
Well done, good choice, no matter where you are in the world you can count on customs to hold on to it for a while and then charge you, I hope you enjoy using it .

Hey there I am Hossyhossy or hoss for short. I am looking forward to participating in the forum especially the cartridge and soap sections. I have a passion for cartridge razors. I think they are just the business and I collect them: mach 3 with nice handles, Wilkinson Sword Quattros, Harrys, Dorco,dollarshaveclub, Giletteclub, Boldking. I just have to have my cartridge fix whenever I can! All the stuff about them not lasting is a load of cobblers. I strop mine on my jeans and can get a month's use out of my cartridges with no problems whatsoever: always smooth as butter, no nicks and no irritation. In fact I was one of the first testers of the Quattro. I wish I had kept the prototype and not sent the thing back for poxy Boots vouchers now. I am currently waiting on a Gilette Guard which I think will make cartridge and Gilette super bosses all over the world. I think I have chosen the correct way as I don't want to go down the DE route. The blades probably won't last another 10 years anyway ( browsing here I see some blades being withdrawn by Gilette already) with the Guard going down a storm in India and stuff. I can't wait to try it!

OK so you may not be liking what I say but I will make one concession to you traditionalists and that is soap. Man I love artisan soaps. I have got Fox's stuff which is just the dog's (foxes?) do dos and I love to use OSP with my Fusions and my Quattros. The tallow and the perfection of modern, precision engineering go hand in hand to make an awesome shave.

Oh yea a bit about me You can call me Hossy or Hoss but my real name is Larkin Pond and I am a Brit who divides my time between the UK and Belize where the cost of living is high but the hookers are cheap...

I love mach3 carts and get a great shave every single time! However, i do alternate between DE and carts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom